• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
So I went crazy with espionage... ~200 foreign spies. I've slowly been converting all the major governments to social democrats. Germany, Italy, Russia, Nat China, even Argentina, Brazil. It's about midway through 1939 so I'm looking forward to seeing those 1940 election results (for the ones that have elections). Would be more fun to make everyone commies but USSR doesn't have much leadership for spies :(. I also went crazy with radar (~4 years ahead of time) and now I can see half the world! I just don't know who to fight yet :p.

That would make a fascinating AAR. Have you considered starting one (or have you -- I haven't looked today)?

Rensslaer

That would make a fascinating AAR. Have you considered starting one (or have you -- I haven't looked today)?

Rensslaer

I didn't take any screenshots because there hasn't been anything but espionage/production screens for four years :p. I might try it if I do it again with commies or fascists... I should check how much leadership Japan has too, see if they're a viable choice.

I did take screens of the Ethiopia one, in which I went Comintern. The soviets steamrolled germany out of europe, then proceeded to invade England, Canada, and one random island in Indonesia... simultaneously. USA still isn't in that war, and Japan is still battling with China, meanwhile I took Ethiopia over to invade India (with major setbacks from the Nepalese!) after conquering North Africa and the Middle East. Might get around to make an AAR for that if I can find time between playing the game and the rest of my life :).

^to quetzilla's post before^

You know you don't have to use the stupid radars, most of my games I don't cheat, but all of them I use the "debug fow" cheat XD.

A few months have passed without serious additional upheaval in Europe. But in May, that changes. Abruptly (there were years of subtext, and observers assumed this move might come, eventually, but there was little warning this would be the day), the BBC is abuzz with news of Hitler’s ultimatum – Poland must return Danzig to the German people, or face military action.

WarMay39.jpg

Having joined the Allies, and acquired a guarantee from the United Kingdom for its territorial integrity, Poland refused. Immediately, German troops began to move. The UK, France, South Africa all declared war in Poland’s defense, and what would become known as the Second World War was officially underway!

But…

Now this is interesting. At the beginning clash between the Axis alliance and the Allies, I was expecting a “Call to Arms” message from Germany. One would expect, yes?

Peculiarly and ironically, instead I get a request from France for them to buy some of our fuel stockpile! For use against Germany! On quite lucrative terms, I might add! We could sure use that money…

WaitasecMay39.jpg

Bah! But that would be silly. We refuse.

Now, it appears that we have not yet been called to join the war. That’s an interesting development (or lack of one). But in a way it makes sense. Italy was not called either (and that, of course, is entirely historical). I began to wonder if Portugal would be called in coming days – just a short delay before being called.

The USA – all the way across the ocean, significantly – felt the heat from the first flash of war sufficient to order a partial mobilization of her economy, and a beefing up of her military defenses. Thinking that this might be a prudent idea, we….

PolandMay39.jpg

Our mobilizing of our reserves will take them up to within that one final step so they’ll be at 100% soon after war is declared and we increase our economy to Total Economic Mobilisation.

The fighting begins on the border with Poland. German armoured divisions, especially, begin thrusting all across the frontier.

I had been concerned, before, that we would not have certain important warmaking elements ready by the time war came to us. Now, we marshaled all of our efforts to make sure they would be ready soon. Would war stay off our doorstep long enough to finish things? We will have our FW 200 wing by September 11 (sooner if I can find more IC).

NewPriorsMay38.jpg

Except for that IC dedicated to reinforcement in the wake of our mobilisation step, most everything is channeled toward production. We’ll let our Supply stockpile ride it out until we have the critical things we need.

With Portugal still at peace, our trades are not hampered at all, and so convoys of ships continue to add to our stockpiles with American goods. Soon after war is declared, Germany asks for us to help supply her with Fuel. I’m sure her armoured columns are using hers up at a breathtaking rate, and we’re glad to support them in that effort. This might be considered our first real contribution to the war effort of the Axis alliance!

AlternativesMay1039.jpg

Wondering, though, if this might be the extent of aid asked for by the Germans, we start looking for alternatives for going to war. So much depends on us actually joining the war, at some point. And yet the hiatus between the start of war and the beginning of our involvement will surely be helpful for us in finishing our preparations.

Because we’ve had spies working to increase her threat – for about 3 years now! – Belgium turns out to be the first Allied country we’ll be able to declare war upon. In mid-May, 1939, we find that we’re still a ways from being able to convince the Portuguese populace to support such a war (we’re just slightly more than 6 points away – neutrality vs. threat – which is being reduced on both ends daily) – they need convincing, still. Not much, though.

Now, since the Germans have provided us with a stable source of income from Fuel sales, we use it to buy more Crude Oil and Energy from the USA. This should bring our Oil stockpiles significantly higher, and bring our Energy reserves into a positive gain status.

TradeUSAMay39.jpg

Finally, a full two weeks after the war began, the UK (at least) recognizes Portugal as a likely threat, and embargoes us (not a military embargo, with ships, but a prohibition on trade), which really bothers us not at all.

May17Poland.jpg

They probably decided it was about time to come awake, because the Poles were getting slapped around by Germany. There was an armoured thrust practically racing toward the Soviet border, with other divisions pressing in, all around. The capital of Warsaw might soon be cut off from much of the country.

Now, I’ll provide a sort of time-lapse of my Production and IC Allocation decisions. In late May, I was still putting everything I had toward the FW 200 wing. No supplies being funded. I’d decided to switch a little of my IC resources into CG to get cash to keep my trades going (cash down to $5). Except for supplies, all of my stockpiles are humming along due to the trades I’ve set up – this is my final push, in anticipation of big changes once war starts.

May28Prod.jpg

Then, two weeks later, our priorities have shifted, slightly. In just those 2 weeks, our supply stockpile has dipped by 900 – almost 1/3 of our total stockpile! It’s time to add back our supply producing allocation of IC. I’m no longer in the cash crunch, so I reallocate the CG spending to Production, but I’m still dropping to just 76% of IC need for the FW 200 naval bomber. Fortunately, it’s near enough to being completed, that this only delays the expected arrival date by about 3 weeks.

Jun13Prod.jpg

Finally, in the 2nd week of June, the Polish surrender occurs. The Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact is put into effect, and the Soviets expand westward into Poland. Not satisfied with this, just a few days later, they demand the annexation of the Baltic States, which bow to inevitability. The Soviets are now well established on the Baltic coast.

FallofPoland.jpg

Portugal, of course, is not too comfortable with this situation – the enabling of the communist dictatorship which all nationalists and fascists are supposed to oppose. But Hitler made the arrangement, and it was explained by our ally as simply a realistic solution to the balance of power situation – an alliance of convenience, for the time being. That, in itself, seems an ominous description. Yet, it satisfies, too.

As you can see by my post count I'm a committed lurker, but I felt like I had to emerge to complement you on another excellent Rensslaer AAR. Reading Fire Warms convinced me to buy Vicky and I'm sure this would do the same for HOI3 if I didn't already have it. Looks like you're building up towards an interesting war.

P.S. I understand if it's on the back burner but I hope you're not abandoning Sforza!!! That AAR and Prawnstar's excellent Audacity of Hope got me into EU3.

Well, the lack of a call to arms seems a bit welcome! Gives you more time to prepare, at least. ;)

And so it begins… the war stars as ”normal” and the Germans crush the Poles, that is good news for you and your allies in the Axis. I have to say I am surprised that the Germans didn’t ask Italy or you to join them in the war. But as you say in the Italian case it is kind of historical, and you could always wait for France to fall and then declare war… I guess you just need to continue reducing your neutrality. But at the moment you should take full advantage from not being at war and stockpile as much resources as possible.

Interesting developments in this update. I see the AI is choosing the events as soon as its able to. Hopefully a random element will be added in 1.3 or by an ambitious modder. Also, don't be too upset if the Germans aren't calling you immediately. They are, after all, only dealing with Poland at this point - once they focus on the Western Theater I'm certain they'll see how well situated you are to assist them in their goals.

Wise AI Germany realizes that, at this time, you're more useful as a peaceful partner (and supplier of much-needed gasoline for the Panzers) than as an active belligerent. Surely that must be the explanation. ;)

Anyway, as others have pointed out, it's actually a boon that will allow you to gather a few extra critical resources.

Well, war at last! I look forward to the coming developments. Hopefully you'll have that Naval Wing done in time for something.

On this potential eve of war I wonder where the troops are? I suspect the "offensive capability" is near the Congo. Since Germany attacked Poland "early" I wonder if they will wait until 1940 before turning to France and the Benelux countries?

Can't wait to see what happens next !!!

And I *still* don't see how you are going to manager to conquer Africa (or parts thereof) without getting bushwhacked by an Allied invasion force on your home soil.

As June wore on, the Germans quickly transferred their armies away from the apparently diplomatically secured Soviet border toward the much less certain French frontier. But, when the French hadn’t attacked, either while Germany was fully engaged against Poland, or in the several days it would take to move the army into defensive positions, the Germans decided to reach for other goals…

26Jun39Scandinavia.jpg

Some of their armies, to be sure, shored up the frighteningly bare French border, but others shifted north to accomplish the conquest of Denmark, which would secure the inner Baltic Sea from British ships – a very wise move. Hitler also apparently considered Norway as part of that security perimeter, and decided the quickest way there was Sweden (not to mention the obvious benefit of having Swedish raw materials under their own control). Presumably, this would not be too much to take on, all at once. After all, Germany had just swiped Poland in six weeks.

Naturally, all this sudden catastrophic activity on the other side of the border concerned the Dutch to distraction, and they prudently mobilized their army. Switzerland too.

1Jul39Concern.jpg

But it was too late for the Netherlands. Germany declared war within a bare three hours – choosing to take the mobilization as a hostile act.

As all this was underway, we were glad to be able to complete more preparations for war through more trade deals and further expansion of our economic base.

1Jul39NethDecl.jpg

World events were on a fast track – earthshattering events of enormous magnitude claiming the headlines of every newspaper across the globe. The USSR brought the Communist Chinese into their fold, which posed an obvious threat to the adventurous Japanese ventures over there. And Stalin ordered Finland to cede certain territories to the Soviet Union, and already had his armies ready to intervene on word of an unfavorable answer. Yet another battlefront opened.

Jul139FinnishUSSR.jpg

In China, the Japanese were dealing tolerably well with the Nationalist Chinese. The Chinese Communists had not, as of yet, found it in their interests to aid their neighbor.

From Portugal’s perspective, we were not really sure what we wanted to see out of the Chinese war. To their credit, the Nationalists and the other Chinese factions did not seem to have designs upon territories outside of China, except for perhaps against Hong Kong and Macao, which was merely the concern of the Guangxi.

Jul39JapanChina.jpg

The Japanese continued to hold one isolated province near the island of Hainan, in Guangxi territory. For a supposedly modern power, Japan didn’t seem to be making much headway. Perhaps that was a good sign, and stalemate would result in a Pacific peace beyond the realm of China.

In two weeks’ time, the Germans were cutting through the Dutch and Danish armies like they had the Poles.

17Jul39.jpg

South Africa finally acknowledged the imminent threat posed by Portuguese colonies which were in alliance with the Germans, who were seeming like they might soon face off against the French and British directly. They embargo us, and break off diplomatic contacts.

Jul2239QuickResult.jpg

Three weeks, meanwhile, was all it took for the Finns to decide they would rather avoid an all-out war with the Soviet Union. They sued for peace, handing over the border lands the Russians had sought.

By the beginning of August, The Dutch capital had fallen, the Dutch government had fled to Palembang, in the East Indies, and Germany formally announced what she had already telegraphed, and what everybody already expected – the invasion of Belgium, as a route to France itself.

Aug239Belgium.jpg

Note, also, the loss of 700 from Portugal’s supply stockpile between July 22 and August 2. Not only were we suffering from a reduced IC allocation, but also from having to ship masses of supplies to our far-flung colonies, now staffed with tens of thousands of troops. I have not quantified it, but I believe I have witnessed a serious increase in the consumption of supplies since I’ve deployed all these units overseas, and created others anew… to ship them overseas too. Then there are all the supplies we’re trading to make money for increases to our other stockpiles. It’s a perfect storm.

Aug2339Prod.jpg

Indeed, the downward rush of our supply levels has forced me to back off, somewhat, from my single-minded determination to have our FW 200s ready at the earliest possible moment. I’ve increased my supply allocation to half demand. We’re now looking at September 19.

Our crude oil stocks are high, and only subsiding slowly – that’s a decent balance, especially considering our cash is now improving with no CG investment. I was able to get some good trades to bring in money… albeit at additional cost to my supply stockpile, as noted. But all our other stockpiles were increasing at a rate which I was happy with. There are always tradeoffs. I’m relatively happy with the balance I’ve achieved, and with our money situation increasing so, I’m hopeful we can continue to purchase needed materials within Europe, even once war begins.

I’ve been asked where my units are deployed. This is a logical question, as war looms, and so I’ve produced a diagram, which I figured would be far better than trying to just explain it all. Looking at this, even I’m impressed by how many units I have, and I’ve been signing the purchase orders! Six cavalry – good. Eleven infantry – more than I expected I’d be able to complete. Twenty-four garrison brigades, meaning 12 separate deployments, except where double-teamed – again, very acceptable.

1Sep39Deployments.jpg

The Portuguese Navy is pitiful. But I am reasonably good at avoiding enemy naval patrols, and so I’m hopeful I’ll still be able to move by sea. If not, it’s going to be a long defensive war, with my divisions sometimes not being where they really needed to be!

Note, of course, that the FW 200 airwing will become our second air unit. About 200 planes altogether – 100 naval bombers, and 100 tactical bombers (Junkers 86’s – a slightly outclassed model).

This AAr is really a thriller. I`m looking forward to see how the mighty portugese armed forces are able to tilt the balance in favour of the Axis. And I must say I`m slightly worried about the small quantity of Portugese Naval Vessels when it comes to protecting portugese convoys and transports.

Is your TAC squadron still namaed "Portugese Airforce" or something? You better name it again, with the Arrival of your Nav's that derogatory name will no longer be needed! I thought you had based them in the Azores however.

You really have built up a decent army! It didn't seem to good though all the updates, but when you add it all together it is pretty good! Yeah, your navy is horrible, hopefully you can keep those transports afloat.

Germany is embarking on their final preparations for France it seems, are you going to declare war when they start the invasion of France, or when Italy invades or what?

:: delurks ::

Long time lurker, first time poster (on this AAR) - Wicked progress on the set-up for (what we hope will be successful) war. Good luck to you, sir! :)

:: relurks ::