• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Mhh, let's not forget that the front lines between Italy and the Soviet Union are considerably shorter than they were at the height of the 1941-1942 battles. In proportion the Germans now hold a much more important portion of the front, and there is a limit to how many divisions can be deployed on the shorter and far more remote Illyrian line.

The Soviets' advance might have been a blessing in disguise. Both Illyria and the German front tie up high numbers of Red Army formations very far from the 1941 Italo-Russian border, while Italy as a naval power could easily launch a couple of armies through the Caucasus, either via Iraq/the Levant and Anatolia, or through Persian territory disconnected from Italy's African and Near-Eastern holdings, or by a bold thrust through the Dardanelles and a landing on the shores of the Black Sea. Such an operation would severely threaten the Soviet rear, lose them industrial assets and oil-fields critical to the prosecution of the war, and force them to either trade that territory for time to try and achieve un-guaranteed success in Poland or in Illyria, while opening the deeper Russias for conquest, or to redeploy sufficient forces to push the Regio Esercito out of the fairly defensible mountains of the Caucasus - a time-consuming effort and one which could either weaken the armies poised to invade Illyria, or make the armies in the North vulnerable to a resumption of offensive operations by the Wehrmacht, and possibly even both.

Forster: Maybe I'm just stuck with my HoI2 era thinking but I generally don't think artillery is worth it, when I could be building more divisions instead with the IC instead. :p

The main thing is frontage. say, for example, your attacking a province from two directions. you could squeze in 6 triangular divisions (18 brigades) against the enemy, no more (width would be 15. 5 would make it 15 exactly, however i've seen an extra division sneak in in such cases, but not when you are 1 width over the frontage). However, if you added an art brigade to each, you could have an extra brigades in combat as they count as 0 frontage, or in other words you could have 24 brigades. Now art has similar soft attack as inf does, so its equivlant to increasing your maximum fighting power by 25%.

The catch is, of course, that it only really helps when your fighting on compressed fronts where your battles will actually involve more units than could actually fight at any one time (eg the frontage fills up), which isn't really going to be the case if/when you break out from your current lines. So, probably, for the current Italian Army art probably isn't going to be really useful, as the entire force is about maximum spread rather than maximum concentrated force.

Greetings Myth,

First want to thank you for posting this wonderful AAR, absolutely fantastic! Also note that your AAR got my very first post here. :D

I learned a lot about how to play HOI 3 through this (the first AAR I read here) and several others, but yours by far has been the most comprehensive.

Question: Do you take tons of screenshots as you're playing? That must get very tedious! I love writing myself and hope to post some AAR's of my own here very shortly, but I'm worried about all the screenshots. Is there a format or suggested method for this? Any advice on how to go about doing my own AAR from an obvious expert would be greatly appreciated! Don't want to side track your AAR here, so please if you can, point me to where I should go to do my own AAR's and where I can ask questions etc.

One more quick question: Is it considered to be bad form to do AAR's with countries already being "documented"?

HOI 3 is an outstanding RTS and I love it. Your AAR and others like it enhance the experience many fold! Thanks again! Can't wait to get the 1.4 patch, but I bought my version through Impulse and unfortunately, the quickness of getting game via downloads means updates are unfortunately much slower. :(

Shadow

How is creating a force of 100 armchair generals cheating?
As long as they don't fight or engage enemy forces, the plan is flawless.
Nearly.

They are like raiding parties. :p

NilsS: Building infantry doesn't mean concentrating infantry. ;)

Lordban: Hmm dunno. I remember what happened last time I went into the Caucasus and Central Asia as Italy. :p

sneakey pete: I can see how artillery would be useful, but I'd just prefer more infantry, generally. My problem isn't so much firepower as manpower in arms. :p

SFCShadow: Welcome, and thanks! :D Yeah I do take tons of screenshots when I play, usually between 200 and 300, or even more. My hand just hovers over the F11 key (which is conveniently near the pause button. I never understood all the bitching from players about wanting the space bar rather than the pause button for pausing. What do they do with their hand otherwise, wank themselves off to their own strategic brilliance? :p) Screenshots come out as .bmp's, which means that for internet usage they should at least be converted into .jpg's in whatever program--be it mspaint, photoshop, gimp or whatever. I personally use photoshop as that also allows for easy cropping, so the viewers see only what's important in the screenshot. That is also sometimes, more cynically, known as what I want them to see. :D I don't think it's bad form to begin an AAR with a country already running, no, and as for additional questions, the AAR general forum would be the best place for game non-specific questions, and you can also PM the mods or demi-mods as well. Hope this helps!

Enewald: But armchair strategists are always so unrealistic! :p

So I was going to do a joke about no update today because it's April 1, but I think some of you (*looks at Jorath13* :p) would die of shock if I did that, so I won't. Update tonight!

Unless I'm actually joking now...;)

Hello Myth!
It seems that you are going out of resources, aren't you?
After loss of Romania (oil !), Yugoslavia and Anatolia you are pretty endangered in strategic terms.
What do you plan?

Show please a production page screenshot with your resources statistics :)

pkawol: Oh I'm in no danger of running out of resources. I'm actually making a surplus of everything, even oil! :eek:

Update coming up!

The Year of Returned Hope
Part 2: The Indirect Approach I, January 1 – March 29, 1943

Liddell Hart would probably have been proud of Mussolini’s new strategic combination. It was obvious that Italy could not defeat the Soviet Union through simple and direct application of either manpower or firepower, though war cannot be waged without recourse to either of those. To any discerning observer, contemporary or later, the basic outlines of Mussolini’s new plan could not have been anything other than obvious. The Soviet Union had conquered a long and vulnerable coastline, and Italy was acting as a maritime power. The details, however, were shady to everyone save Mussolini and his generals.

The first detail that must be noted is that of forces. Specifically, what forces did Italy actually have available for a strategic combination emphasizing indirectness? In actuality, Italy actually had significant forces available, should it need to tap them. Half of Grossi’s army in Hispania, some three or four divisions, were essentially reserves in case of revolts in the province, a problem that had come up in the past previously, and in case of a serious Allied offensive into the area. In case of necessity these could be shipped to Italy. Italy’s forces in Central and East Africa constituted another six divisions, including three elite marine divisions, should push come to shove and Mussolini force to choose between European and African operations. Finally, there was Vercellino’s 7a Armata in Egypt and Palestine. This army comprised three infantry divisions, three cavalry divisions and Bergonzoli’s mobile division. With Italy’s Middle Eastern neighbors neutral and hoping that the dangerous social conditions of Palestine remain unfermented, Mussolini chose this force as that which would prosecute an indirect offensive.

092-01-VercellinosArmyontheMove.jpg

Vercellino’s army deploying to Alexandria.

Before turning to other preparations for the new operation, it would be helpful to take a look at the line Italy had drawn across Illyria. On its northern side sat four Italian armies, on its southern side the myriad of Soviet formations, including numerous armored divisions. It was obvious that the Soviets were too strong to dislodge; they outnumbered the Italians by a significant factor, particularly once the fact that their divisions were larger than most Italian formations is accounted for. A direct approach would likely result in an offensive reminiscent of nothing so much as the Allied offensives of the First World War, with attackers suffering heavily. In this case though, such suffering could only end with Soviet reserves or other tactically uninvolved units breaking through the weakened Italian line and thus threatening Italy herself, as well as the soft underbelly of the German Reich and in all probability the end of the Axis. The indirect approach, even if only with seven divisions, was the only way to have any sort of positive strategic effect.

092-02-IllyriaLine.jpg

The line across Illyria.

To return to the preparations for this indirect approach, Mussolini ordered his carrier fleets into action. Campioni’s fleet was sent to hover off the coast of Albania, from where its carrier air groups would hammer the Soviet division garrisoning the Albanian port of Tirane. Da Zara’s fleet, meanwhile, was sent on a similar mission in the eastern Mediterranean. His aviators would strike at the Soviet garrison of Athens. The aim for both admirals was to damage the Soviet garrisons as much as possible while trying to leave the ports undamaged. In the best case, they would all be necessary to supply a rampant offensive. If worst came to worse, the ports needed to be in good shape to make a hurried withdrawal as easy as possible.

092-03-PreparationsforInvasion.jpg

Preparations for invasion in the shape of aerial bombardment.

As it occurred, the naval-aerial bombardment of ports went on for weeks and indeed months. Begun in late January, they went straight up until late March. The Soviets, while at first possibly alarmed by the new Italian effort, soon grew accustomed to this Italian exercise of air power and thought nothing more of it. Thus came the point that Mussolini had not been waiting for, but which pleasantly surprised him: the garrison of Athens shattered. He had been hoping merely to weaken it, but the aerial assault had gone on for so long and at such tempo—for, as readers will remember, Da Zara’s fleet fielded four fleet carriers—that the division simply broke. Athens was not just ready for assault, but completely and utterly undefended. Vercellino’s army had been waiting in transports for a week prior to this point for the moment when it would be sent ashore. This was its hour. Italy was returning to the offensive.

092-04-INVASION.jpg

The invasion of Europe! Not that Italy had actually ever left…

Mussolini had decided to eschew a frontal assault on Soviet positions in favor of an indirect approach designed with multiple objectives in mind. On the one hand, it was obviously an offensive meant to throw the Soviet armies into confusion. Confusion is inherently exploitable by those who are not confused, or those who are but are also confident and daring. In such terms, Athens was a strange place to land. It was the port furthest from what would inevitably be the Italian goal, if this goal was cast in terms of encircling the Soviet armies in Illyria: the Hungarian border. And yet, Vercellino’s army comprised only seven divisions and the Soviet response was bound to be overwhelming, as the experiences of the previous year had indicated. This indirect approach was entirely offensive in operational terms, but it was ultimately defensive in both strategic and tactical terms. Strategically, Mussolini was trying to avert what would probably otherwise be inevitable defeat and disaster not just for Italy but Europe. Tactically, Greece was a funnel with Athens at its narrowest point. Smaller numbers could hold off, if not indefinitely, then for long enough to allow for a rescue plan to be thrown together and implemented. A grander-scale Thermopylae, perhaps, save without the self-sacrificial element. Mussolini could not afford to sacrifice any part of his armed forces at such a critical junction.

Ah, the Athinai choke. Indeed it may be possible to draw a significant number of divisions away from other fronts at relatively little cost.

It will be interesting to see the objectives of this landing, the Soviet response and what exploitation (if any) can be made.

YES! Electric Whiskers rolls back into action!:D

I'm getting a little excited actually!:cool:

Mussolini should bear in mind that if he has to order a retreat from Athens, this is the only port in the peninsular. Other than that, the Soviets will not weaken the Illyrian front to a degree where an attack will become feasible. They have too many numbers as it is and they can only shove so many troops into the one province bordering Athens.

Elshar: Nah you were a minute later. ;)

Lordban: Indeed it will. ;)

Maj. von Mauser: Woah there cowboy, settle down. ;)

Jemisi: Useful distractions are useful, indeed. *nod* :p

Enewald: I'm not going to be fighting in Thermopylae...:p

Baltasar: You have a very odd view of what I'm doing in Greece. :p

ummhh

got to confess, I'm not convinced about the Greek gambit, though it does depend on what you want to achieve. Not so much on theoretical grounds but my own experience in overrunning the US with the Soviets. I found that small, distracting (I thought) raids and landings, were treated with complete contempt by the US AI that just squashed them flat. All I got (if anything) was some temporary weakening of the front or a bit of a respite to reorganise and reinforce.

I'd concur more with the post a fair bit back. You've prepared for war as if you were the UK, where a strong navy, and the ability to do hit and run with an army, could give the means to a stalemate at least. But you've got the Soviets stacked up on your border and sooner or later thats going to need brute force to make them go away, so the diversionary stuff would be great if it meant the application of brute force was then more successful, but you still need the means to apply that blow.

From the Soviet position (& its probably rather handy the AI is rather inert), they could apply what rather pompously could be called the 'Alexander strategy'. Or how do you deal with a power that has near complete naval superiority - take their ports off them.

In effect, I wonder if you have an armed forces for a maritime war and strategy, and you've ended up in a continental one?

I just wanted to drop by and say GREAT JOB!!! I really enjoy this AAR! Interesting strategy, invading Greece, but it makes sense the more I think about it. Italy's greatest strength is in it's amphibious invasions, so might as well make the most of it.

Well, we'll just have to wait and see what Myth is going to pull out of his, um, sleeve this time.
Great use of carrier air power there. When they aren't supporting a ground attack somewhere, you might want to send them up the Illyrian coast and let all of your air visit one those Soviet armies, hex by hex. :D

This AAR is such a good read, and also a challenge to try to predict your next steps. At this point you have Athens, and in attacking Tirane, you indicate a possibility of a landing there as well. That leaves 2(?) other ports further up the coast, but Soviets can't(?) supply through there with land routes available, can they (even if HOI3 allowed it, the Italian navy would handle any merchant ships making the run)? Yet you can use them for supply of the bridgeheads.

That leaves a huge Soviet drain on supplies on the Illyrian front, stretching through an area that gave Il Duce's smaller armies headaches in trying to handle a similar long range supply situation.

Infantry to hold the Athens port, and a quick dash with your cavalry and mobile division to cut off the supply lines on as wide a lane as possible and possibly grab the other ports with other landings? I wonder what the SU force disposition is between Greece and the Soviet border? How fast could they move to reestablish the cut supply routes?

And if it doesn't work, the worst outcome is the losses to Vercellino's army, hopefully not too large.

Anxiously awaiting the next update.