• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Well, I have finally finished reading this opus. Remind to start when the aar starts next time. :wacko:

I am enjoying your tactics, although I think you probably could have built a few more infantry divisions and purchases a lt arm license fr Germany.

Actually, a southern pincer might just work in Anatolia. Use your mtn divs and supply with the transport plane that Italy starts with flying from Cyprus or Rhodes. You wouldn't be looking for the mountain troops to be fighting, just to be cutting across behind the Soviets to cut off their supplies. If you attached some engineers, those little buggers can actually be quite speedy in the mountains. :D

Nazaroth: Just about in the middle IIRC. Slowly drifting toward Axis however, though at a rate of like 1.5 a month or whatever. :p

bbcrackmonkey: As BlitzMartinDK says, if I had the forces to spare. :p

BlitzMartinDK: Too true. :p

Jemisi: Possibly not enough. :D

Forster: Congrats on making it through 80 updates! :D I do think I could have started expanding my army earlier, yeah, though I'm still not convinced of the wisdom of armor for Italy one way or another--it'd just be preparing for a war I'm not particularly interested in fighting. Of course, as this AAR shows, the wars you're interested in fighting may not really be the wars you're going to get! :p And as for your suggestion, wouldn't that require the use of an airfield? I don't have any of those in southern Anatolia. Would a single transport squadron even supply enough? Also, all my mountain divisions are spread across three or four different armies. :p

Also, no update tomorrow as I will be going into London. To Whitehall, in fact, to the RUSI library to do research for an essay. So I'll be gone all day basically. So the next update will only come on Friday evening.

Graziani is the Italian MacArthur!

That's like an insult.

Good updates! And interesting operation you've got going on here, and it looks to be going well.

That's like an insult.

It wasn't meant to be! MacArthur was a pretty good General if you ignore all his personality flaws, and the Korean War after Yalu river :D
Have you read the speech he made at the Japanese capitulation?

If Graziani has to pull back again he can say "I shall return!"

The speech he gave at West Point about old soldiers never die was quite good too. He was a great speaker, not as good as Churchill, but still probably one of the better ones of that era. Problem was he was, as you said, his personality. Too bad, he would have been remembered in a much better light.

The speech he gave at West Point about old soldiers never die was quite good too. He was a great speaker, not as good as Churchill, but still probably one of the better ones of that era. Problem was he was, as you said, his personality. Too bad, he would have been remembered in a much better light.

I take it that he is still alive then. Amazing.

Jemisi: :D

Maj. von Mauser: Hehe, maybe. :p

Jemisi: Tough choice there. :p

Ahriman: MacArthur's record is pretty uneven. On the one hand you'll get brilliant stuff like his prognosis of how the Japanese will conquer the Philippines, bypassing many major Japanese islands and Inchon. On the other hand you have terrible stuff like his refusal to actually do much to prepare for a siege in Bataan, the Buna campaign, the campaign to reconquer the Philippines and ignoring the Chinese until they slapped him in the face. :p

Forster: He was basically an eastern potentate thrust into American politics. :p

Sangeli: He is. I think he's in the HoI2 forums at the moment, though playing with a modded game where he's skill 9, has an infinite max level and inevitably becomes president of the United States. ;)

Update tonight!

The Year of Upheaval
Part 4: The Gamble in the East IV, January 20 – January 28, 1942

Late January was the decisive period of time for the Italian gamble in the east. The two Italian armies involved in the operation, Bastico’s 2a Armata and Graziani’s 1a Armata, went through to nearly superhuman lengths to accomplish their mission of closing the pocket, particularly as Soviet resistance truly began stiffening a formidable amount during this time.

Badaglio, the commander in chief of the Eastern theater, with Mussolini’s connivance released Guzzoni’s nascent 8a Armata for operations in northern Thrace and southern Dacia. As may be recalled, this army was to defend Istanbul’s northern approaches. This had three justifications: firstly, a successful forward defense in these regions would protect Istanbul just as much as the closer defense originally envisaged. Secondly, it would halt Soviet advances into Thrace. Finally, it would it would begin the process of liquidating what had by this point become an enormous pocket covering nearly the entirety of Dacia. Unfortunately while Guzzoni’s army had by this point grown from one to three combat divisions, only one of them was in any state to actually undergo operations of any sort, including even those as mundane as marching into ostensibly hostile territory. Guzzoni’s basic plan, inasmuch as he had one at this early stage, revolved around relying upon deception and Liddell Hart’s indirect approach on a tactical and operational scale to force the Soviets northward. To the north, meanwhile, the combat continued at its unrelenting pace. The gap between Bastico’s and Graziani’s armies was closing, slowly.

081-01-ClosingIn.jpg

The gap closing, slowly.

By the 23rd of January, the gap had closed further. The battle of Brasov had ended, with just over two hundred and fifty Italian casualties and nearly nine hundred Soviet casualties. Other ongoing battles were just as intense. Ionesti was nearly over by this point. Other battles were not going so well, however. The Soviets had funneled numerous formations into the area of operations, mostly north of the twin Italian pushes. Italian intelligence picked up at least two armored formations north of the encirclement attempt, as well as at least three infantry divisions and other assorted units. The Soviets could foretell disaster and were striving hard themselves to preclude it. In the south, Guzzoni’s 8a Armata had split. The two unready divisions placed themselves between the Soviets and the north Aegean coastline, hoping that their presence would be noticed but their incapacity not. Meanwhile, Guzzoni’s one ready division had begun its own march into the Soviet pocket from the south. The naval air forces still retained their complete air superiority; there were no Soviet air units in the sky anywhere over Dacia.

081-02-TheEntirePocket.jpg

The situation of the entire pocket.

The actual closing of the pocket, however, was not going as planned or as hoped. Numerous Soviet formations had by this point become trapped in between the two Italian armies, and were resisting the closing of the encirclement desperately. At Onesti, there were four heavy Soviet motorized divisions. The Italians, by this point somewhat stretched, attacked with a single division initially though soon reinforced by the other side. Nevertheless, the battle ended in defeat as the Italians broke off the fight: over eight hundred Italians lost their lives assaulting those positions, as opposed to only two hundred and twenty Soviet deaths defending them. Directly to the south, however, Valenii de Munte, the Soviets were less ready to deal with heavy Italian assaults. Nevertheless, they still defended desperately. Ionesti finally fell, and the defending Soviet armored division wiped out, thus releasing Bastico’s third corps to join in the attempt to close the pocket, by yet another alternative route.

081-03-AlternativeClosing.jpg

The alternative closing route of Bastico’s third corps.

Other battles during this time were also raging, and nearly all resulted in heavy casualties on both sides. A battle at Sarata resulted in six Italian and two hundred and twenty-four Soviet deaths; defeat at Gheorgheni saw nearly seven hundred Italian and two hundred and twenty Soviet casualties. However, all of a sudden the alternative route was no longer required. The Soviets at Valenii de Munte broke, taking over eight hundred and fifty losses while inflicting nearly nine hundred. The Italians, weary but victorious, immediately entered the town and cut the road. The encirclement was closed at last. The cost, however, had been heavy and it had taken longer than anticipated. Furthermore, the Soviets had by the 28th massed truly significant forces north of the thin Italian bulwark. Italian intelligence counted at least five armored divisions, three infantry formations and numerous unidentified units as well.

081-04-WHOOO.jpg

The encirclement, finally closed but already under threat.

The encirclement was thus finally closed off. However, the hardest part still remained: it had to be liquidated. Furthermore, until its destruction, its integrity had to be protected against the predations of the formidable Soviet build-up to the north.

That's just what they want you to think. ;)

Just had a vision of a zombie MacArthur walled in deep in the heart of the Pentagon, "I shall.... BRAINS!"

Anyway back to the AAR, looks like you've woken the bear there, time to make him dance.*

*This is a metaphor and should not be interpreted as my condoning making bears dance.

Lets see : for starters he will pull back behind that river north of the harbor..Then he will make convoy attacks off the russian ports in the pocket, and take those ports as fast as possible. Then eliminate the pocket.
A few Light Armor or even semi-mot cav could really help here!
How are your stats on mil and gar at the moment? They are rather fast to build..What about artillery and selfpropelled arty? You really need more combat strenght as fast as you can get it!

That situation looks... painfull. Another retreat through Dacia? It doesn't look like that line can be held. How are ze Germans doing? Any chance of them cutting off the Russians in Ukraine?

Last edited:
That situation looks... painfull. Another retreat through Dacia? It doesn't look like that line can be heald. How are ze Germans doing? Any chance of them cutting off the Russians in Ukraine?

It couldn't be held before... I think a fast advance towards the rear with the intent of smashing the cut-off Russian units and resetting the lines for another pocket-making (and the fortunate side-effect of disengaging from those powerful-looking Russian formations to the north). The trusty feigned retreat. Never gets old...

Looks to me like you have a wolf by the ears. You can't kill it and you dare not let it go.

Even if you kill off the 6 or 7 divisions currently isolated, Mamma Russia is like that Eddie Murphy joke about big fat lady with tricycles hidden in the rolls of her arm fat. She rolls over the plains of Dacia and new formations just pop out of now where.

Good luck - interesting read.

I think Myth is really sweating now. Bet he's wishing he had some heavy lifters now.:p
I am surprised the Germans haven't tried anything yet. I looks like Italy is drawing substantial attention from Uncle Joe.