• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
womble: Quite sneaky yes. Unfortunately there's nothing I can do about it at the moment. :p

Tribal: Thanks! There'll be an update by Tuesday evening, the start of the next chapter. ;)

Morrell8: Fleets of tanks play no role in my strategy. Of course, my strategy hoped that I would avoid war with the Soviet Union but nevertheless, I still have no real use for them. :p

Right, so there'll be an update Tuesday evening!

Right, so I'll definitely play tonight hopefully! Hopefully there'll be an update ready for sometime in the next few days for the start of the new chapter. :p

Take your time, I've got the Superbowl to tie me over. :D

BlitzMartinDK: A fine welcome! :D

Nazaroth: :D

Update tonight, finally! Also, womble: I've been reliably told that your signature is too many lines and must be shortened. :p

Just make the text size smaller. It worked for me. :D

womble: Maybe so, but you still need to shorten your sig. Keep the content, make the size smaller, as CC says. ;)

ColossusCrusher: I think smaller text sigs are more tasteful personally, anyway. :p

Update coming up!

The Year of Upheaval
Part 1: The Gamble in the East I, January 1 – January 6, 1942

The new year began with dire intelligence. There were rampant indications that the Soviet Union was planning to go onto the offensive. In Anatolia it would continue its slow push westward, but the great change came in Dacia. There, the Soviets had amassed forces that were likely in excess of twice what the Italians had on the front, and probably with further formations in the theater reserve. By selecting their opening battles, the Soviets could undoubtedly concentrate sufficient forces to penetrate the fragile Italian frontline in a handful of places. Such defeats would be enough to cause the entire line to withdraw to inferior defensive positions, or collapse entirely. With the prospect of defeat in Dacia, the Italian position in Anatolia was quickly seen to be untenable.

Mussolini, in talks with the general staffs and commanders at the front, hit upon a single way to save the situation. It was to be a gamble unlike any that Italy had embarked upon before. If it succeeded, the frontline could be stabilized for another year. If it failed, at best Italy might succeed in abandoning much of its eastern empire and forming another front somewhere much closer to the Italy itself. The first step was the easiest, least controversial and had indeed been advised by some of the Italian general staff for some time. Pintor’s 7a Armata and the nascent 8a Armata under Guzzoni would withdraw to Istanbul. Pintor would deploy his two corps on Asia Minor, safeguarding Istanbul from the Soviets moving over Anatolia. Guzzoni would deploy his paltry force of one—later three—divisions on the European side to protect Istanbul from any Soviet thrusts southward through Dacia. Istanbul was, for the foreseeable future, to become a fortress.

078-01-WithdrawingtoIstanbul.jpg

Simultaneously in Dacia, Bastico and Graziani made preparations for their own strategy. It was here, in Dacia, that the gamble would take place. They would not, and indeed could not, sit and await the Soviet assault. It would come and it would likely break them. Instead, they would attempt a daring maneuver. They would retreat. It was the unfortunate result of events that Bastico held the western half of the front, and Graziani the eastern half. Ideally, Mussolini would have preferred Bastico to play the decisive role. It was not a personal question; Bastico merely had the bigger army of the two, and the more experienced generals. Nevertheless, Graziani would have to play the hammer. It was to be a long withdrawal. Bastico would be shifting his headquarters back to Belgrade and his army would withdraw several hundred kilometers and simultaneously wheel to create a front running northwest-southeast rather than west-east. Graziani would withdraw his entire army to Varna. Between the two armies would be a gap of several hundred kilometers. This was why Istanbul needed to be defended from the European side as well. Otherwise any enterprising Soviet armored officer could rush the city, ruin Italian logistics in that part of the empire and throw one army group headquarters and two army headquarters into chaos.

078-02-DaciaForcesWithdrawing.jpg

Bastico and Graziani withdrawing into the depths of the Balkans.

The withdrawal in Dacia caught the Soviets completely by surprise. They made no attempt to attack withdrawing Italian forces as they abandoned their positions and left. However, once the front was completely denuded of Italian troops, they were not slow to begin shoving their armies into the gap that opened up between Hungary and the Black Sea. They were initially moving slowly, however, and this gave the Italians time. Bastico managed his positions, finally setting on a shorter line than even had been planned before, but which would offer greater security along the Hungarian border and concentrate it more should he need to make use of mass. Graziani too was withdrawing with all speed to Varna. Thus far, insofar as it had only just begun, the gamble seemed to be paying off. The Soviets were in confusion and the Italians were preparing themselves.

078-03-BasticoReadyingHimself.jpg

Bastico readying his army for operations.

The withdrawal to Istanbul was merely a defensive redeployment: some of the general staff advocated leading the Soviets into the western depths of Anatolia before landing in their rear and cutting them off. Such a plan of action, while well recommended simply by looking at the map, ignored in the first instance the vagaries of Anatolian terrain. The mountain valleys lead east-west rather than north-south. This would make any thrust northward from the southern coast, or southward from the northern coast, more difficult than it would be for the Soviets to rush formations from the west back eastward to counter such Italian moves. Furthermore, such a strategy ignored the realities of logistics. There was no Anatolian port in the south to supply an offensive from that area; any Italian forces would quickly run out of supplies and be completely reliant upon forces pushing down from the north. However, the only Anatolian port in the north—other than Istanbul—was Eregli, and quite close to Istanbul. Thus by logistical necessity, the proposed northern prong would have to land there, but that would be quite close to the hypothetical Soviet rear and only exacerbate the first problem mentioned, of terrain. Finally, it was all academic anyway as the Italians did not have sufficient forces available for such a strategic maneuver, and particularly not with the Soviet threat in Dacia. Pintor’s and Guzzoni’s armies, fortunately, escaped the reach of Soviet formations in Anatolia with little loss or difficulty and, by the 6th of January, were well on their way to Istanbul.

078-04-EscapedtoIstanbul.jpg

Pintor and Guzzoni escaping with their armies to Istanbul.

Thus the scene was set for the greatest strategic gamble the Italians had ever attempted.

Oh God, that's worse than Manzikert... :wacko:
You abandon so much land without fighting?!?!?!?!???
Your decisions start to resemble the German Oberkommando plans of 1943-45, always retreating to more favourable 'defensive positions', aka abandoning land with whatever reasons. :p
Why don't you just create a ring of steel around the seven hills? :cool:

@ Enewald
Actually, there is no point in holding Anatolia with insufficient forces. The Italian forces face at least a two to one ratio against them and already are thinly spread along the whole front. The Russians are bound to break through that line sooner or later and once that happens, all Italian forces in Anatolia could be lost. It's more advisable to retreat to a perfectly defensible position, trading land for time and blood. If the Red army decides to attack by crossing the Dardanelles, they will be in for some horrific losses.

As for Dacia, the Soviets are also outnumbering the Italians there. With a withdrawl further south, their lines will be more streched while Italys will be shortened. The more defensible terrain will be a benefit of it's own, tying up a few Soviet divisions while the Wehrmacht is (hopefully) rolling in further north.

Besides: The German Oberkommando by the stage you are referring to were generally dictated by Hitler himself who, instead of saving his units by withdrawing ordered them to stand and die fighting. When they had the chance, the Generals of the Wehrmacht showed that they'd rather trade land for the lives of their men, which lead to some pretty successful defensive battles late in the war.

Whew. A successful disengagement from a superior enemy can be a difficult thing, fortunately you've managed to pull it off well on both fronts. Now I'm curious as to see what the the Dacian gamble will be... from what I can see, it's an attempt to recreate what Romania almost did with the Drobeta gap (surrounding and destroying Italian forces pushing towards Bucharest), only actually cutting off significant Soviet forces this time? It's the best explanation I can think of for that large gap in the middle...

Can you tell us what the Germans are doing in the meantime?
I tried this strategy once... It failed badly. It failed because the Hungarians had collapsed. And my forces and German forces were cut in half. I am very curious to see how do you plan to regain the initiative. Good luck!

First of all, sorry for the backchat about the sig. I thought you were joshing me. It's sorted now.

Second, while I can see your logic in falling back in Dacia, I worry a bit that the Hungarians won't cover your flank, and the withdrawal will lead to the Russians sliding through a discontinuity in the line. Hopefully, the Magyars are a bit more tactically aware for you than they were for me when I wanted to set the defensive line a bit further back in better terrain.

I'm imagine that there was some fairly strong language when the Hungarian General Staff got the telegram informing them you were pulling back in the Balkans. Allowing the Soviets free movement South is completely hanging them out to dry. Poor Admiral Horthy :(

Wow. I worry that not enough Soviet forces will put their heads into this Dacian noose to make the effort worthwhile. It may be that the two pincers connnect up and envelope the Soviet vanguard, but how many enemy divisions will fall into the trap?

Enewald: Silly Ene, the choice is between withdrawing and planning for a counterstroke, or being defeated and, well, being defeated. :p

Baltasar: Well the gap I held between Hungary and the Black Sea was the shortest line in the entire area. If my gamble doesn't work I'd be a bit buggered trying to hold a line somewhere in the middle of the Balkans. :p

Judas Maccabeus: We'll see soon enough what it is...:D

Leviathan07: Good thing the Fuhrer isn't my leader then, huh? ;)

Warspite_TW: The Germans are doing, well, not much. They've not exactly moved forward much or even at all from the lines they held in the conclusion of the last chapter. :p

womble: No worries. ;) As for the Hungarians, they're neutral. If they have any sense, they'll stay neutral. :p

Ahriman: If they were at war, maybe. Fortunately for the Hungarian general staff, they're not. ;)

BlitzMartinDK: Nope. :p

Leviathan07: Nah, I haven't retreated far enough for that! :D

Jemisi: Well, the AI hates a vacuum. If there's a vacuum, the AI will do its best within relative tactical sense to fill it. I've left a large enough gap that tactics doesn't come into it, but operations does. But the AI can't handle operational art. :p