• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Beppo: They'd never have done so. Besides, the defense is stronger than the attack, as Clausewitz says. ;)

Enewald: I hope I will! :p

I've noticed that a few times on long threads. The last page isn't accessible. Looking at the situation now (i.e. yours is the first and only post on page 73), I'm guessing that it says there's a page n+1 when page n is full, but doesn't actually create it until there is a post to go there.

is it just me, or is it impossible to get to page 73 of this aar? I press 73, and just come to 72 again. Anyone else?

nvm, it worked now

I've had this problem, what Womble has said is correct.

This really interesting, i'm subscribed

andre_sn: I have this extra page thing with long threads too, though I don't think I have it with this one. :p

womble/Maj. von Mauser: That's a possibility. :p

Delta107: Excellent, welcome! :D

I'll have an update for tonight, guys!

I've noticed that a few times on long threads. The last page isn't accessible. Looking at the situation now (i.e. yours is the first and only post on page 73), I'm guessing that it says there's a page n+1 when page n is full, but doesn't actually create it until there is a post to go there.

The problem is MUCH WORSE in some threads. :D It's caused by Mods deleting spam/flame posts. :rolleyes:

BlitzMartinDK: Indeed. :p

Ciryandor: That's also possible. :p

BlitzMartinDK: Hopefully it'll stay that way too! ;)

Update coming up!

The Year of Strategic Crisis
Part 14: Littoral Expeditions II, September 1 – November 30, 1941

With his marines’ success in August, Mussolini decided to expand their area of operations and keep the momentum, such as it was, going. Another marine division, recently out of training, was sent southward under the command of Major General Balsti. The marines were the epitome of Italy’s experiment with littoral warfare, and Mussolini wanted nothing but success from them.

Thus he, Lisi and Da Zara hit upon another operation for them to embark upon. With the conquest of British Somaliland and, in particular, the port at Berbera, the Italians had begun the process of closing the southern mouth of the Red Sea. There was, however, another port, still in British hands, that needed to be conquered to fully protect direct access into the Red Sea. This was the port of Aden, across from Berbera on the Arabian Peninsula. Unlike Berbera, this was going to be a difficult landing: a French division held the city and harbor with three brigades of infantry. Lisi planned to throw both marine divisions against the French defenses, thus outnumbering them four to three, a paltry ratio in an age when the accepted wisdom was that a three to one ratio was necessary to lever defending units out of their positions without prohibitive casualties. Lisi, however, planned to utilize Da Zara’s fleet. Da Zara’s two carriers would launch all four wings of aircraft in support of the landings and subsequent fighting, while his cruisers would employ their guns in shattering whatever French positions they can reach. The amphibious assault began on September 17th.

073-01-AttackingAden.jpg

The assault on Aden, with Balsti’s new division forming the vanguard.

By the evening of the 26th both marine divisions were ashore and fighting through the city, which continued to be fiercely defended by the French forces. Minor British naval forces happened to stumble through the warzone on this date as well, and Da Zara unleashed his cruisers from their support duties to slaughter them: one destroyer and five transport flotillas were wiped out. Hardly a great naval victory, but any British ship rusting on the bottom of the sea floor was a good British ship, to Italian eyes. Despite the constant bombing and the gunnery support, the Italians were having a difficult time against the French, whose positions were well prepared. The battle only ended on the 13th of October, after nearly a month of being supplied off a beachhead. The French were driven out of the city and into the desert, suffering nearly 1,500 casualties. Italian deaths numbered just under 950, a testimony to the bloodiness of the fighting. Italian casualties represented nearly a twelfth of their force, whereas French casualties were nearly one ninth of their entire division. Both forces were exhausted by the battle. Without Da Zara’s support, however, the fighting would have ended much worse for the Italians.

073-02-AdenResults.jpg

The results of the battle of Aden.
With the marines finally firmly ashore at Aden and his fleet no longer needed for combat support operations, Da Zara was let loose to project his fleet out away from the mouth of the Red Sea and into the wider oceans of that part of the world. His first stop was the island of Socotra, whose port was the last piece in the defense of the Red Sea. It sat in the middle of the Gulf of Aden, and whoever controlled it could interdict any traffic going into and out of said Gulf. While the marines were busy mopping up in Aden, Da Zara meant to put that port out of commission on the assumption that it would be the next target of amphibious assault. There was no substantial garrison, but intelligence reports pointed to some sort of naval presence. Da Zara’s aviators discovered for themselves that it was a very weak presence: transports and destroyers. This did not prevent Lieutenant General Ricci from ordering strikes. All ships were sunk either in harbor by his warplanes, or by the guns of Da Zara’s cruisers if they tried to run the blockade.

073-03-StrikingBritishIslands.jpg

Da Zara striking at the British-held island of Socotra.

The marines could not stand still, however, after their victory at Aden. The French were in retreat, and there was the possibility of overtaking their withdrawing columns and destroying them. This was a gamble, as the marines were so disorganized from the conquest of Aden that any defeat inflicted upon them would halt their momentum in the Arabian Peninsula completely and allow the French time to recover. However, it succeeded and the French were wiped out. The marines merely had to solidify their presence by taking the rest of Aden. This is what would occupy them for the one and a half months of late October and November.

073-04-ConqueringAden.jpg

The conquest of Aden.

The conquest of Aden was thus a successful enterprise. It further secured Italy’s domination of the Red Sea, barring only the danger posed by a potential British naval presence at Socotra, and erased a French division from the balance of military forces. Nevertheless, these are even at the best of times only minor benefits, and to some extent counterbalanced by what Italy’s enemies were doing, or trying to do, during this same time.

great stuff, glad you're keeping up the algebra tests:

suffering nearly 1,500 casualties. Italian deaths numbered just under 950, a testimony to the bloodiness of the fighting. Italian casualties represented nearly a twelfth of their force, whereas French casualties were nearly one ninth of their entire division

even if you do then supply the answers :cool:

I see lots of Crude in his near future. :)

Good, get all those ports you can! I look forward to see what has happened on the Russian Front.

whereas French casualties were nearly one ninth of their entire division.

You mean, nearly one sixth? :p

Great job! How is Barbarossa doing? It's late autumn, is your defensive line holding? ;)

Loving this AAR. How are the Germans going in Russia?. I guess oil is not high on your priorities as you dont have many motorised or mechanised units only a navy to feed, the middle east nations are safe for a while I would think!