• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Actually, you could as well leave Anatolia completely. First of all, it's much easier to defend at the Dardanelles and secondly, you'll be very hard pressed defending against the crawling Russians coming over the mountains in the east if you try to hold on to Anatolia. No reserves at all and very thinly streched forces... smells like a plan for a desaster.

And since I always left Romania and Turkey as puppets, I'd really like to see how it works out when you annex them and have to handle Soviets on your own.

If you've got just a bit more (okay, maybe I had a lot more... including an army of 3 MOT + SPART, and about 30 brigades of German Expeditionary forces) land power than Myth in this AAR, Russia's handleable if you've just got Romania annexed. I gave up on sea power when the Brits sent a 6-BB fleet to slap me about for sinking all their other ships and the French navy. Having to split between Dacia and Anatolia is going to stretch any Italian army...

Enewald: Yes, that one Soviet division alone conquered the entire eastern quarter of Anatolia. :p

Baltasar: Why would I want to give up more than I have to? ;)

womble: Yeah, my army's/armies is/are a bit split. :p

coolluigi007: Why do you say that? Am I supposed to be one of those players who marches into the face of disaster? :p

Update coming up!

The Year of Strategic Crisis
Part 11: Operations in the Med and Black, April 7 – June 15, 1941

Though Mussolini’s eyes were frequently cast eastward every day to oversee and ponder the situation in the east, where indeed the greater part of his army was in action of one sort of another, this did not preclude the conduct of operations elsewhere. Indeed, it was during this two month period that the Italian Marine Corps began operating, albeit still with only one of its prescribed three divisions. The Regia Marina, too, was not inactive and would contribute in some part to the opening stages of the war with the Soviet Union. Thus we shall now turn to operations in the Mediterranean and Black Seas.

The Italian Marine Corps was originally envisaged to go east, as a stopgap force against the Soviet armor rampaging through Dacia. Its mission was simply to hold the corridor linking Dacia to Graziani’s forces, which were pushing past Odessa by this stage. A mix up of orders, however, sent them to Valencia, in Iberia. By the time this mistake had been noticed, Bastico was already going eastward and the marines’ mission was scrubbed. It did not take long for the Italian general staff to find other tasks for it to do. Taking into account its mission—to assault beaches held by the enemy and generally to be the mainstay, once it reached its proper size, of Italy’s expeditionary power projection strategy on land—it was determined that it would gain some experience with these tasks. As such, on the 27th of April, the Marine Corps, which was under the command of Lieutenant General F. Lisi, with its one division, commanded by Major General Re, assaulted the island of Eivissa, off the west Iberian coast. Of the Balearic Islands, the Italians held only Majorca: Eivissa and Menorca were both held by Spanish forces fighting under the British flag. The battle of Eivissa easily went the marines’ way, for the soldiers there had been denied supplies for the entirety of the Second Iberian War. Two brigades of Spanish troops were destroyed.

070-01-AssaultingElvissa.jpg

The marines’ assault on Eivissa.

The capture of Eivissa forced those last Spanish ships out of port there—the light cruiser ARE Baleares and one flotilla of destroyers. Campioni handily dispatched these ships. On the 3rd of May, the marines then assaulted Menorca. The opposition here was much stiffer, as somehow the Spaniards had kept a source of supply open to them. Nearly three hundred marines died on Menorco, some twenty-seven times more than on Eivissa, but in the end they triumphed and destroyed another two brigades of Spanish troops. There were now only three Allied positions left on or in the Mediterranean: the British enclave at Tel Aviv, which Mussolini had decided to avoid provoking for a while, Spanish Morocco, which Italy did not have the available strength to take as there were at least two or three Spanish divisions there, and Malta. The marines assaulted Malta on the 19th of May. Without four days Malta was conquered, and the British garrison there was destroyed. All the islands of the Mediterranean were now in Italian hands.

070-02-AssaultingMalta.jpg

The marines’ assault on Malta.

As the marines fought on Malta, da Zara sallied into the center of the Black Sea. The Soviets first subjugated his fleet to attacks by Soviet air force units. Soviet interceptors tangled with carrier-based fighters, but the Soviets were outnumbered and forced to desist with some casualties. The day Malta fell da Zara had his first encounter with the Soviet Black Sea fleet and sent it scurrying toward Batum with the loss of some destroyers. By the 3rd of June he had hit upon a plan. He was going to strike the port at Batum. The port was guarded by some anti-aircraft guns, in addition to the guns of the Black Sea fleet. However, the latter were hardly considerable: reports from Lieutenant General Ricci, the commander of da Zara’s carrier wings, stated that the Soviets actually had very few surface ships: a single light cruiser and a handful of transports and destroyers. Of the thirty-nine naval units Batum, the vast majority were submarines.

070-03-StrikingBatum.jpg

Da Zara striking at Batum.

Ricci’s aviators had a field day. Over and over again. For a week, da Zara’s carriers launched their warplanes and they struck at Batum’s port. By the 6th, if not before, all of the permanent air defenses had been knocked out, and port facilities crippled. By the 10th, of the entire Soviet fleet in Batum, only a squadron of transports, three flotillas of submarines, a brace of destroyers and the single light cruiser remained; all were much damaged. With one final effort, Ricci’s aviators destroyed these ships, and thus annihilated the entire Soviet Black Sea fleet. Italian losses during this prolonged encounter amounted to, in aggregate, only a handful of planes, though the aviators were in poor shape, having flown and bombed, with great precision, with very little rest for a straight week.

070-04-BatumDevastated.jpg

Batum devastated, just before the final push to wipe out the Soviet Black Sea fleet.

As Italian armies faced even larger Soviet armies, or the promise of larger Soviet armies, and hoped only to keep them stalemated, Mussolini followed his original strategy elsewhere with success. The Mediterranean was finally nearly cleared of a hostile presence, the enormous British fleet which remained at Tel Aviv notwithstanding due to an idleness which was more than simply enforced by the Italians. The Marine Corps had proved its worth and was soon to find itself on the frontline against greater Allied forces. In the Black Sea, da Zara established Italian ascendency over Soviet naval forces in the most destructive way possible. Italy could still attend to limited operations, despite the call of operations in the east.

Those marines are looking quite nifty, perhaps a shock landing in Sevestapol! when things are looking a bit better in the East. :p

I'm still loving this AAR :D

Good work clearing out the allied remnents in the Med, now you can focus your attention on the Soviets. Are you going to remain on the defensive and hope the Germans break through to the north or do you have offensive plans?

nice operations in the med sea, very impressive.

maybe a marine strike into the small nations of arabia?

What's the supply situation in Tel Aviv?

All the other Soviet ships are WWI era with little chance at self defence. If you bombed them all week without interruption by enemy air, and little AA in a stop gap base at Batum, it is reasonable that two carriers could sort them all out.

Nice to clean up these loose ends.

Turns out Carriers are the way to go for Italy more than tanks. :)

I can imagine Stalin being told about Batumi incident.

"- Tavarishch Stalin, Italian Carriers have just sank our whole Black Sea Fleet docked in Batumi."
"- Errrrmmmm, WTF, OMG, but Italians dont have Carriers, I read on the forum that everyone goes BB+DD, WTF. Those Italians are weird, they attack when they are supposed to defend, they defend when they are supposed to attack and now I find out they have Carriers at their disposal. How dare they ignore forum consensus like this?"

:)

Nice work! Malta captured and the Soviet submarine fleet crippled. If nothing else, you have nothing but open water between you and as many amphibious landings in the Black Sea as you desire.

Tel Aviv does worry me. That fleet is probably tracing supply through Iraq or something and doing just fine.

How goes the situation in Africa?

-- Beppo

Mozla: Well, I guess the Soviets *would* be quite shocked to see a one division landing in their deep rear...:D

Ahriman: Regardless of what plans I have, I'm constrained by the size of my army. My main objective is to expand it, more or less. Which doesn't answer your question, of course. :D

GrenadierSchube: Hehe, that's always an option. ;)

ColossusCrusher: I have no idea. I've literally been completely ignoring it since the onset of the Spanish crisis. :p

Tomatoes: Yeah, I wasn't expecting such success either, really. Though remember that in the past year I did get quite a few techs improving port attacks and CAG stats. :p

Jemisi: Yep. Don't have to worry about a few little factors now, but the big worries are still there. :p

delra: Hehe, just like Sun Tzu said: be formless, and all that sort of thing. :p

coolluigi007: Common military sense not to fight on two fronts? :D

Enewald: It'll shrink. ;)

Beppo: I really don't know if Tel Aviv is supplied or not. I've not prodded it at all. As for Afrika, heh, how funny that you mention it...;)

loki100: Oh yes. ;)

So there won't be any update on Sunday! And maybe even Monday. This is because tonight I will be flying to Britain. At least, I hope I will be flying to Britain. With the weather there it's hard to say. But in theory I will be, an overnight flight and I'll arrive Sunday morning. So I won't be any shape to write on Sunday. And maybe not on Monday. but if I don't post on Sunday, that means either that the internet's out, the flight's been delayed or cancelled, or I'm dead. :p

Good Show! It seems you have unsheathed Maltas "Flaming Sword" for the British, and snapped it over their head!

I'd like to see some more port strikes on Tel Aviv though, with what you did to the Black Sea Fleet, you should be able to do the the Meditterranean Fleet with a little more effort, on the part of your aviators!

Those Marines look like they will come in handy!

Good luck getting to Britain. It's just started snowing again here in west London and the forecast is for more. The airports are probably going to be ok, although whether you'll be able to get anywhere after landing is debatable. It's got to the stage that we're having to ration the country's road salt!

Good work Myth. Out of curiosity, how many ships did you destroy at this time?