• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Wow. Well perhaps Graziani can reframe his crusade as a spoiling raid into the Ukraine and Crimea. The Soviet Black Sea fleet disrupted and ejected. Not too many casualties either. Although if the front doesn't hold in Dacia, his crusade may be treated less kindly by the historiaarns.

How're the Germans doing?

Did you grab any resources during your 'reconnaissance in force'? IanClacher seems to have had a lot of success with that, in his Japan AAR.

Even if your Ukrainian roadtrip didn't accomplish anything lasting for you, it might've created all sorts of possibilities for your Teutonic sidekicks. Or, perhaps, prevented an immediate collapse of the German position.

Regardless of the outcome, it must have felt nice to have the initiative against the Soviets, before the Hordes started showing up. ;)

Germans are probably overjoyed to see Italy dragging so much Soviet attention.

Or maybe Berlin is getting encircled by Red Army now... :eek:

Nah. Not in 1.3. Since 1.3 the only time I've seen a failed Barbarossa was when I did a D-Day to them as UK or USA. Unless player sabotages it, Germans always win. They just do much better with all that fast units at their disposal, overrun retreating Soviets after the first push succeeds.

Not to mention Soviets got lots of distraction down in Romania this time over. Probably what they had stashed in the Caucasus will go at Myth right now instead of reinforcing Moskva line.

Nah. Not in 1.3. Since 1.3 the only time I've seen a failed Barbarossa was when I did a D-Day to them as UK or USA. Unless player sabotages it, Germans always win. They just do much better with all that fast units at their disposal, overrun retreating Soviets after the first push succeeds.

Not to mention Soviets got lots of distraction down in Romania this time over. Probably what they had stashed in the Caucasus will go at Myth right now instead of reinforcing Moskva line.

I'm playing my fifth Italy 1936 campaign with 1.3 and AIIP, and Germany always got troubled. It often needs Italy help to defeat France (if not, Allies divisions are able to counterattack and to bring war into Germany...) After Vichy event, Germany has MP troubles and it starts Barbarossa with lots of divisions at 70% strenght. I wonder why Germany is so weak in my games.

delra: Hehe yes, leadership is good. :p

womble: Resources are good too. :D

Jemisi: Well, we'll see how things pan out. ;) And it was kind of long, yeah. :p

ColossusCrusher: Not entirely sure. I stopped paying attention to them. :p

Stuyvesant: I have no idea whether I did or not, or what effect Graziani's crusade had on the larger war. :p

delra: Probably. :p

Gladiator: I hope not! :p

delra: Maybe...:p

Enewald: My, you're an impatient one, aren't you? :p

Gladiator: Huh. I'm not really sure how strong my Germany is, but I think I'd notice if they were having Barbarossa-like success. :p

And so ends a daring crusade. I liked (and still like) your approach in this sector, however the gained ground doesn't seem to be as good a buffer as hoped for (at least the buffer was gone very quickly). So what were your gains from the crusade, other than combat experience?

I'm looking forward seeing how you are doing in Anatolia.

Nicely done!

I too would like the status of the front as a whole, which would of course include Germany.

Out of curiosity, why did you not elect to defend the Crimean Peninsula itself? Seemed easy enough to defend to me, what with Sevastopol present for supplies, and then a very narrow strip of land that needs to be defended (One province wide, I think?) which would imply quality, not quantity would triumph, of which, I would assume Italy would best Stalin. There's that little sea crossing, too, but still I hardly think the Soviet Union would be able to launch an excellent attack through there.

Sokraates: Nothing much, except disrupting Soviet supply somewhat, I guess. I didn't even gain much combat experience. :p

Kman211: What would defending the Crimean gain me, though? All it would do is divert formations from Dacia, the defense of which is more important, of course. ;)

I'll try for an update tomorrow evening!

Well, I suppose so, divisions are scarce, after all. Even so, it would still distract Soviets from Dacia, though probably not enough as hoped. Depending on how fast a counter-attack can be mounted it would also help in that regard, I imagine. There's also some industry in that area, no? Every IC helps.

Though I see your point, it would probably stretch you too thin needlessly. Just a thought :D

I think you made the right choice, but we shall see if your defences will hold. I think they will, but not without a few battles.

As for defending the Crimea? What would be the worth? The Soviets still have another base, so it isn't like they would be standed. Italy already has a base, so it isn't like they needed one. There would be two provinces to defend, and if your lines happened to break you would possibly lose a whole Corps!

Defending the Crimea would a have been stupid.

Crimean would be supplied by ocean, probably direct from italy itself. So while it might not have anything worth holding there, it might allow you to get more troops fighting in full supply. (assuming you had any problems with that)

Uk ?

Great AAR I have been following it very closely as I am doing italy 36 aswell. Just a thought what are the UK doing? WOuld it be worth building defensive fortifications against the soviets then launching sea lion to get the UK industry then continue against the soviets?

Thought I would pipe up again (long time lurker, nervous poster :)) to say that I am exceptionally impressed with this AAR! Even when the AI seems to be acting insane (decelerations of war when unprepared etc.) you manage to make it gripping and energetic. Keep it up! Looking forward to seeing the defence/victory of Anatolia, hopefully with an advance on the oil fields of the caucus?

Kman211: But remember, for the same reason it would be easy for me to defend Crimea (very short frontages), it wouldn't pull too many Soviet divisions away, even if I had the manpower to spare. :p

Maj. von Mauser: Well, if the Soviets had a major heavy bomber air force, it might have been worth it to keep them away from Ploesti, but they don't so it's not. ;)

Kman211: Now now, that's not a very nice thing to say about yourself. :p

sneakey pete: Crimea probably wouldn't have any logistical problems, sure. But that's not a reason to stay there. ;)

dips123: Those fortifications would still have to be manned by my armies, leaving me with not particularly much for a Sealion. :p

Mucius: Thanks! And we'll see how things go. ;)

Update tonight, hopefully!