• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
...was a veritable display of skill in trickery by the Soviet commander....

Ah, the good old maskirovka. Remember, the Soviets used deception to convince the Germans that they were hopelessly outnumbered from the Baltic to the Black Sea, when in fact they had local numerical superiority along most of the line - except where it mattered!

Nevertheless, by the end of that day the Soviets had been found again, and three Italian divisions went onto the attack. Six Italian brigades faced four Russian brigades, a possibly worrying sign of fights to come.

*cough* three Soviet brigades - they probably haven't researched the doctrine that reduces the armoured brigade front width.

Beppo: Prayer and conquest, mostly. :D

anweRU: Oh that's right, three brigades. I keep forgetting that armored brigades have two width. I obviously don't use them enough to remember. ;)

Tomatoes: It depends on how much I have to write. They tend to oscillate between 900 and 1100 words each. :p

Maj. von Mauser: Hehe, I try to avoid too epic updates. As a reader I prefer a bit more numerous but less-than-truly-epic updates. :p

AreoHotah: That, and I'm actually doing more reading (mostly for essays) here than I did in any three week period in Reading. By the time I go back, I'll have read 16 book (making four a week). At Reading I only managed 3.6 a week or something like that. :p

Also, no update tomorrow! Or Friday. Or Saturday. Tomorrow in the morning I'll be going off to Washington DC for New Year's with my family, and for a couple days after that. I'll be back Saturday, and if you're lucky you guys may have an update Sunday. :p

That was a somewhat Quixotic expedition on the part of the Soviets.:p Hope you have a pleasant trip to DC.:)

You had a good initial run in the Soviet Union, but now it seems that there is actual resistance and things are looking a bit dicey. I also noticed that we haven't heard anything about Anatolia since you plunked an army down there. No news, good news, or is the situation dire?

I wonder how you'll be able to shoehorn the Russian campaign into your much-touted litorral strategy. I can see it fit with Anatolia and the lower Ukraine/Crimea, but I expect that this campaign will be decided far, far out of the range of anything the Regia Marina can bring to the party. :)

The change in sheer scale and expected opposition is a very nice change of pace. I look forward to more. In the mean time, enjoy your holidays and family.

coolluigi007: Thanks! And we'll see. ;)

VILenin: Thanks! :D

AreoHotah: Thanks! :D

Stuyvesant: We'll see how these things pan out. And thanks! :D

So we're into a new year now. Fun stuff, huh? As you can tell, I'm back from DC, and I have even more books now. I bought six while there. They should all be pretty good, I'm going to look forward to reading them (whenever the hell that'll end up being...). As for the next update, I'll try for tomorrow evening. :p

Any chance for a review of Italian army at this point? Who's where and doing what? :)

I'm going to look forward to reading them (whenever the hell that'll end up being...).

Same with me, sometimes a think I should consider myself not a Historian, but a Historical Book Collector.

Someday, once life gets settled down (after university).:rolleyes:

And what happened at Tel-Aviv? Are english troops and navy still trapped there? Are they out of supply? I guess so, if there's no bug.

And how's doing in Anatolia? And how's Germany doing?

Lots of questions... :D

delra: Well that's partially what these next few updates are about, starting with the latest one. Focus on a single army for a time period of about two months. :p

Maj. von Mauser: Heh, once you enter real life you'll have even less time to read. :p

Jemisi: Coincidentally, I was just going to write Graziani's update after Bastico's. ;)

Gladiator: Some of your questions will be answered in the course of this year's updates, sooner or later. Others won't be. ;)

Is there a supply chokepoint near Venice by any chance? It seems that most if not all of your supplies are moving through a thin area between Austria and the Adriatic. Or is it wide enough to prevent major problems?

Chief Savage Ma: I'm actually not sure how adequate that corridor is. I still don't know enough about how logistics works to be able to judge these things adequately. :p

So no update yesterday. I got distracted by King's Bounty: Armored Princess and by my reading. I'll have an update tonight though!

The Year of Strategic Crisis
Part 9: Graziani’s Crusade II, May 2 – June 16, 1941

As Bastico wrestled to come to grips with and destroy a lone Soviet armored division running amok in central Dacia, significant events were taking shape to the north. Zingales’ corps began its push to close up the considerable inroads made by the Soviet armor. Graziani was, meanwhile, overseeing his other corps under Ambrosio in its conquest of the Crimea.

Zingales’ campaign began on the 2nd when his corps engaged a Soviet division of three brigades at Soroca. It was a sharp battle, but a relatively short one: after four days and over seven hundred casualties on each side, the Soviets broke and fled their positions. Stung by this reverse, the Soviets withdrew from the front for the moment and allowed Zingales a free hand in acting to achieve his objectives. He proceeded to throw one division directly westward; it was to reach the Hungarian border before turning northward and taking some further positions that were a part of Italian Dacia. The other three divisions were to drive southward and close up the entire Soviet inroad north of Bastico’s army, which had by this point encircled the Soviet armored division and was assaulting it.

068-01-CreatingaCoherentLine.jpg

Zingales’ operational concept was that of a cleaning up operation.

However, as always in warfare, complications arose with Zingales’ operation. Logistics failed at this critical point and only one division received the necessary supplies to drive forward—in this case, southward. By the 20th it had achieved its mission but none of its compatriot divisions had even been able to begun their advances and the Soviets had returned to the front. Their reappearance was, unfortunately, in some force. Zingales had to act quickly. He ordered his one division that had achieved anything northward again, though by a different route than it had taken to go south. The other three divisions were to redeploy, at least as much as logistics allowed, eastward. Bastico by this point was mopping up the remnants of the Soviet armor southward, and Graziani had captured Sevastopol and ejected the Soviet Black Sea fleet from its valuable moorings there, exiling it to the port at Batum. Zingales with three divisions immediately at hand would have to fend off an estimated eight divisions at least, in the first echelon of Soviet forces.

068-02-RedeployingforDefense.jpg

Zingales in his hurried redeployment to defend the vital supply lines required to maintain Ambrosio’s corps.

Zingales attempted to pursue an offensive defense, with local attacks against weak points on the Soviet front, but a lack of supplies and the escalating numbers of Soviet formations prevented this from being an effective strategy and he quickly abandoned it. Indeed, by the 2nd of June, a lot more than simply a local strategy of defense had to be abandoned. With Soviet divisions numbering at sixteen infantry divisions, if not more, and at least four separate tank brigades, Graziani’s position was becoming untenable. Bastico was struggling northward, but one of his corps was becoming engaged heavily at Toplita, a previously mentioned battle which would cost him twenty-five hundred casualties. Bastico’s capability to rescue Graziani’s situation was fast approaching a negligible value. There was only one course left to Graziani: retreat. His eight divisions were stretched over at least twelve hundred kilometers of front. As determined to salvage what he could in retreat as he could gain in offense, Graziani hit upon a two-stage withdrawal. Zingales’ corps would have to hold the line for some time while Ambrosio’s corps was entrained from all over western Ukraine and sent west of the Dnepr.

068-03-WithdrawalFirstStage.jpg

The first stage of Graziani’s withdrawal, with Ambrosio’s corps rushing to escape the crushing weight of Soviet arms.

Graziani’s handling of the retreat was a testament to his skill. Within four days, only a single formation was still east of the Dnepr. With Ambrosio’s escape nearly accomplished, Graziani gave the order for Zingales’ corps to take to the trains as well and rush southward. The timing was almost as last minute as it could get: Zingales’ corps by this point formed a salient in the Soviet frontline, bordered by six infantry divisions and two tank brigades. The carnage was still piling up at Toplita, but Zingales and Ambrosio would escape without being engaged by pursuing Soviet divisions in any major battle. Carboni’s mountain division had its rearguard assaulted by Soviet troops, but Zingales ordered a unilateral disengagement and despite the delay involved this formation too managed to escape. Graziani’s crusade had come to an end when the real might of the Soviet army was fielded against it. He had, however, escaped with the entirety of his army and his reputation intact.

068-04-WithdrawalSecondStage.jpg

The second stage of Graziani’s withdrawal from the Ukraine and his crusade.

The only thing left for Graziani to do once he had accomplished his impressive withdrawal was to attain a defensive position alongside Bastico’s 2a Armata, which had finally occupied Toplita. The fortunes of geography placed him on the River Prut, behind which he would have an easier time defending Dacia than would Bastico to his west, even though both had attained the same density of formations per any length of front. There was to be no elastic defense in the depths of Dacia; that strategy would merely play into the game the Soviets preferred. With their tank brigades and their superior numbers, any such Italian defense would result in the evisceration of the two Italian armies safeguarding the Italian Empire’s northeastern border. Instead, everything was being staked on a single belt of sturdy defenses right on the front, with the hope that it would provide enough deterrent value to preclude any determined Soviet assault as being too risky and bloody, while they waited for reinforcements to make their positions less tenuous.

068-05-CompleteDefensiveLine.jpg

The complete defensive line: Bastico’s 2a Armata to the left and Graziani’s 1a Armata to the right. Also note Da Zara’s powerful fleet poised off the coast.

Thus ended Graziani’s crusade. It had little effect on the Soviets save to disrupt their war economy in southern Ukraine and to eject their Black Sea fleet from Sevastopol. It also called a possible two dozen major Soviet formations to the area, resulting in the defeat of Graziani’s crusade—though not of Graziani. Instead, with Bastico and Graziani now side-by-side at last, they were in a strong defensive position and hoped that this was enough to halt the Soviets by decreasing the impact of their superior numbers due to the narrowness of the front. There was only one other front on which Soviet and Italian forces were to clash: Anatolia.

Nicely done. :)

Convinced me to annex Romania next time I'm Italy. It's one extra research slot after all.