• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Occupying India isn't hard, you can just plop an inf division in 2-3 of the major ports. The whole country is 80% infrastructure, so if a revolt pops up you just SR to the province the partisans attack first, and your INF will arrive either before they get there or while the partisans are attempting to move to province #3. They die easy and then you just SR back to the port.

By the way, is it mentioned in the manual somewhere that organisation regain rate is tied to the province infrastructure? I just discovered this a day or two ago and it blew my mind.

AreoHotah: Oh, the reason I've not been playing has nothing to do with not knowing where I'll go. As for playing, it'll either be tomorrow or this weekend once I'm home. :p

quetzilla: I have no idea, I've not read the manual! :p

I'll have an update for tomorrow evening!

Good luck with '41 Myth. I've just had the Jerries basically blunder the towel into the middle of the ring for me. They were still futzing about in Scandinavia (Finland was done for) when they DOWed Russia. Then they started winning, taking Leningrad from the north with the troops left over from incorporating the Finns into the Reich, and decided that rather than fight on the Polish-Russian border, they'd SR everything up to points Murmansk to tidy up pockets of resistance on that bit of scandinavian Russia and help the boys break out from Leningrad.

So there's less than a dozen fighting divisions between a dozen Red Army Corps on the Polish border (Poland got puppetted, so it's a bit further east then the usual Mol-Rib line) and Berlin... and 50 divisions or more trundling along the Scandinavian peninsula in one direction or another. There's a Polish Corps and some HQs doing a little dance just west of the Priapet marshes, but no formation larger than a division anywhere south of Copenhagen.

If the Russians go for it, Berlin will fall in a fortnight. Germany won't make it into May '41...

Edit: Punctuation...

Last edited:
Happy holidays to you and we'll find out where you're heading in the shiny new year, I guess. Well, Italy is in a fairly comfortable position right now, so you have the luxury of deciding your next actions, instead of having them forced on you. I'm looking forward to seeing where Italy is headed next.

I agree with the Middle East. If that works, you can move into Central Asia when the war with the USSR happens and take some stress off your German ally.

Take Portugal, then invade China thru Macao!

Anyway, I'm enjoying this intro to HOI3 (Am still on 1.1!).

:cool:

womble: That sounds like something the Germans would do. :D

Stuyvesant: I've for the most part always had that luxury, I believe. I've been setting my own agenda for what I do and I'll continue to do that. ;)

Merrick Chance': Logistics in that scenario would be an absolute pain, probably. :p

intruder alert: Interesting idea. And it's good that you're enjoying it! :D

Update for tonight, guys!

Regarding the question of what to do next: from an all-knowing perspective, defending what you have and preparing for Barbarossa would be the most sensible approach.

However disregarding history I would argue that the only way to not only defend your gains but to also secure them is to defeat Great Britain.

The answer also depends on the threat posed by Spain and the probable time until Barbarossa. If Spain is too much of a threat, a preemptive strike might be in order, however only if you have enough time to then use the forces in Spain effectively in the Soviet Union, too.

I opt to defend and prepare for Barbarossa, even if that would mean a long time without further conquest.

Sokraates: Hehe, we'll see what I do. I'm slowly pulling together my ideas. I didn't do any gaming today, was in Oxford all afternoon hanging out with an old friend from Latvia, but I'll no doubt be doing that gaming for 1941 on Saturday or Sunday, when I'm home in the States. :p

Enewald: I think it's only 48 hours now. I'm not sure though, I don't remember any more. The next level of that relevant tech is the 1944 level (it jumps from 1940 to '44 :eek:). so I'm about as far as I should and can be. :p

Just a short-ish update tonight (as mentioned I was in Oxford :p) but it's the conclusion so it shouldn't be overly long anyway. There wasn't much I could say without repeating myself overly much from before, but I've got a map! :p

The Year Italy Joined the World War
Part 16: Conclusion

1940 was a year of chaos and carnage for Europe. Germany ran rampant throughout the year, concluding after a bitter struggle its conquest of France. After that, it turned its attention northward toward Scandinavia and invaded Denmark, quickly annexing it, before casting its gaze further toward Sweden and Norway. By the end of the year, it had established a considerable foothold in southern Sweden, having crossed over from Denmark, and had plans to complete the conquest in the next year, as well as attacking Norway. Germany appeared to be the greater threat, all the non-aligned countries of Europe felt most threatened by it. This suited Mussolini well.

Mussolini’s Italy had had a very active year. While the previous year Yugoslavia and Turkey had fallen to Italy, in 1940 Greece, Romania, and Bulgaria had been conquered by the Italians. Under the cover of Germany’s actions, Italy simply swept the remains of the southeastern corner of Europe into its empire, with barely a second glance from any other power, mesmerized as they were by the German threat. This consolidation secured Italy’s eastern borders, pushing them far away from Italy proper, as well as gave Italy a solid hold on the northeastern Mediterranean. The major ports of that area, Athens and Istanbul, were in Italian hands, as were all the secondary ports. Between these conquests and the growth of the Italian fleet, particularly the advent of a new strike force under Da Zara, Italy was greatly but relatively quietly increasing its power in the Mediterranean.

All this was, however, merely preparation for the even greater struggle to come: the war with the Allies, which Italy finally launched for itself in early October. Mussolini had, however, truly prepared the ground well: British forces were negligible, notwithstanding a colossal Mediterranean Fleet. By the New Year, it was this fleet that was proving to be the Gordian Knot of the first year of the war, for with it still in existence Mussolini could not safely turn his attention elsewhere unless he left considerable blocking forces in place to keep it in port. Thus Mussolini’s first priority was the destruction of the Mediterranean Fleet, and then a solid plan of action for what to do beyond that.

The increase in power that Italy went through put it in a geostrategic position in which it could nearly fully dominate the Mediterranean. It had the facilities to project naval power into every corner of that sea with ease, from bases in the western Mediterranean, the central Mediterranean and the northeast Mediterranean. Its reach also extended onto the far shores of the Black Sea and, notwithstanding Gibraltar, into the Atlantic as well. But yet, it was protected by geography from retaliation to a large degree. A neutral, if somewhat truncated, Spain precluded an Iberian campaign. Africa offered few and poor opportunities for relevant operations, particularly once Port Sudan would fall to the Italians. Italy’s Balkan and Turkish possessions formed a buffer zone where Italy could, at the last resort, practice a defense in depth.

It was a good time to be an Italian strategist. All the difficult choices were those of priority and positive direction.

059-01-BigMap.jpg

Europe, North Africa and Central and South Asia on the New Year.

Take Syria for the Land Connection to Italy. :D

Take Syria for the Land Connection to Italy. :D

Agreed! Attacking Vichy and taking her holdings will help you claim all the territories once belonging to the Roman Empire at its apex. Then just grab Spain and southern Britain and you'll be all set.

Agreed! Attacking Vichy and taking her holdings will help you claim all the territories once belonging to the Roman Empire at its apex. Then just grab Spain and southern Britain and you'll be all set.

aye, you also get exotic holiday locations like Tahiti thrown in for free ...

Italy is now a truely great Empire. I can't wait to see what 1941 has in store.

Take Spain and Vichy, then the Med will be an Italian lake.

What he said. :D

On a more serious note: what's Vichy-France's political situation in HoI3? Is there an NA-pact or any treaty between Germany/the Axis and Vichy? In any case I can imagine that their thrat level must be very low for Italy.