• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
yet again: too few men on the ground. Operations would require more troops, yours are clearly too spread out... Focus on one or two enemies at a time! Why keep troops in Spain for the moment, are they of any merit right now? Of course you have to prepare for a possible war against other powers, but only guard areas of importence, like homeland Italy or prepare for immidatly vital targets like the rock...

Also it might have been easier to go via Bulgaria, all key VP provinces at a days walk away then...

I figured two armies wouldn't be enough to be decisive...

Still, I imagine the "Drobeta Gap" (as I'm going to call it) is one of those things that future alternate historians would just look back and shake their heads at, wondering why the Romanians would leave a hole that close to Bucharest...

Apparently, the lack of troops now is being felt. Raising another army for the operation will hopefully alleviate the problem, but only for now. Once you're going to go for bigger opponents, you'll be too outnumbered to try the pin down tactics, because the enemy will be able to cover every border province.

Last edited:
Iraq doesnt have nearly as much of a reward as Romania. Romania has lots of IC and resources, as well as providing a significant leadership boost. Assuming he beats them :).

Long time lurker, finally decloaking.

The first time I played Italy and faught Romania it very much was a case of bitting off more then I could chew. Not only did they kick me out of their country, but out of Yugoslavia as well! I learnt my lesson and whenever I play as Italy these days I never attack them without at least 15 triangle divisions.

Love the AAR, Myth, keep it up :cool:

Enewald: Lengthier than Turkey or Greece, certainly. :p

quetzilla: Romania has planes? I don't think I've even noticed. Suffice to say I still neglect air power a bit much. :p

n.y.o: A bit, yeah. :p

theokrat: Yep, I always try to go for minimal forces and this time they were just too minimal. That said, my army in Spain is also going to be the one attacking Gibraltar so whatever I take out from there I may have to put back later on. Meanwhile, my two armies on the Vichy border finally have nothing to guard against, so they're free for employment, though really they're more HQ than division individually, so I'm combining them into one army. But they should make an appearance next update. As for Bulgaria, yeah I could have I guess, but I figured I'd take Romania first and then quash Bulgaria like it was a bug. ;)

Judas Maccabeus: Yeah, that gap was a bit silly. And the thing is, I did basically reach Bucharest despite the overall superiority of the Romanian forces. :p

Baltasar: Possibly, possibly. I will actually be expanding my army this year, or will begin to, so that's something to look out for. ;)

BlitzMartinDK: Iraq would be a bad idea 'cause that might entangle me with the Brits before I was ready. Bulgaria I didn't really consider. Romania was also being heavily influenced by the Soviet Union and was sliding toward the Comintern. Couldn't let the Commies get all of Europe's oil! :eek:

quetzilla: Yep, that too. :p

Tomatoes: Maybe. Maybe not. We'll see. ;)

Yarmoss: Yeah, Romania's surprisingly tough. Hopefully I won't get kicked out of Yugoslavia though! That'd just be a bit bad. :p

I would really suggest taking advantage of the planes you start with, even if you dont bother teching them out -- I'm in 1943 with the unupgraded planes Spain has after SCW (3 Tac 3 Int 2 Strat), and those 3 Tacs consistently win battles for me that I would otherwise lose. Of course I can't use them against enemies with better planes unless I crater their runways first :).

quetzilla: Hehe, I do admit that I need to use planes more. I think I've pretty much got sea power down, but not airpower. :p

BlitzMartinDK: Maybe. Dunno. Didn't check. Don't really want to campaign out there on a very long line of supply that goes back to Istanbul. :p

I'll hopefully have an update for tomorrow evening!

quetzilla: Is that so, you can't DOW puppets? Huh, that's interesting. And odd, of course. :p

And I'm still hoping to get an update out for tonight, but today's going to be really busy so I'm not all too confident that I'll actually be able to. :eek:

It seems you have bitten of more than you could chew, though frankly I was surprised how far you made it with your little force. maybe interdiction by planes would have tipped the scales just enough for you to reach Bucharest and maybe even Ploiesti, too.

I also wonder whether you have a clear strategy regarding conquest or whether you just attack anything you have the opportunity to attack. Yugoslavia was a clear goal, Turkey you were already at war with and Greece made strategic sense. Romania, however, looks more like a target of opportunity than a real strategic goal.

Anyway, good luck. You might need it.

A slow war this will be. Important to keep on the move however. Hopefully the 3rd Army will be enough to tip the scales!

It seems you have bitten of more than you could chew, though frankly I was surprised how far you made it with your little force. maybe interdiction by planes would have tipped the scales just enough for you to reach Bucharest and maybe even Ploiesti, too.

I also wonder whether you have a clear strategy regarding conquest or whether you just attack anything you have the opportunity to attack. Yugoslavia was a clear goal, Turkey you were already at war with and Greece made strategic sense. Romania, however, looks more like a target of opportunity than a real strategic goal.

Anyway, good luck. You might need it.

I think he already answered that : They were being heavily influenced by Soviet -He was risking the oil going out of europe..And they were allies of Greece, although they kept out of THAT war..?

quetzilla: That's quite interesting. So in 1.2 a completely viable tactic would have been to create a wall of puppets? :D

Sokraates: Well, certainly opportunistic. But there are important reasons behind it: namely, it really helps my oil situation (I constantly have 0 oil cause it all gets converted into fuel--I have a lot of fuel), it has a fair amount of other resources, it's moving toward the Comintern and is basically a future threat, and given how my offensive is going here, a fairly powerful one that I wouldn't want to be caught on the back foot by. So I hit them first. ;)

Maj. von Mauser: Perhaps slow, and yeah hopefully the third army will help! ;)

BlitzMartinDK: Yeah, it makes no sense that they didn't respond to the likely call to arms, as that would have totally screwed me over, notwithstanding Bastico's 2a Armata being on the border as a tripwire. :p

No update tonight, unfortunately. I ran out of steam so badly this afternoon that I didn't even do any uni work but just slept. I should have an update for tomorrow though. Yada yada, the usual. :p

I think its a matter of are the Romanian units mobilized or still half strength? If they have been mobilized for some time, their lack of manpower may not be an issue. If they mobilized at the start of the war, then they are understrength and will not be able to catch up.

Why aren't you even using your airforce? Better to have it bombing the Romanians then just sitting on the airfield.

Also, maybe a feint landing on the east coast would be a good idea, just to draw some Romanian divisions away from the west. Just a couple of divisions should do it.