• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Jorath13: You'll see, tonight. :D

Maj. von Mauser: Well, kind of invented the blitzkrieg. Though without tanks. Or air power. Or even cavalry. Or, really, combined arms of any sort. :D

Update for tonight! Also, vote, guys, vote!

039-05-OMGThoseTurks.jpg

Those scheming Turks, conquering the Dodecanese!

Is this pic odd only for me then? :)

Spiritraiser: Yeah, they're all like that, for some reason. Someone messed up. ;)

BlitzMartinDK: Blitzkrieg?

billy bob: Thanks! :D

The Year of Aggression
Part 10: Operation Ariarathes I, September 20 – October 21, 1939

While the period denoted is a wide one, a full month, real combat operations only actually began in the last week of this period. Prior to the operations, Pintor’s 7a Armata had to collect itself and head to the nearest port in Illyria to prepare for landings. During this downtime, Campioni made himself and his carriers useful in preparation for the real campaign.

Operation Ariarathes began with preliminary naval action. As early as the 20th of September, Campioni had positioned his carriers off the Dodecanese Islands and was pummeling the Turkish units with his carrier aircraft. In particular, he was striking at the major naval base, which fell into Turkish hands, and the submarine flotilla within it. Having dealt with this minor task, he moved into the Black Sea and attacked Turkish infrastructure near Istanbul and interdicted the Turkish division garrisoning that city. The first real blows of Ariarathes, however, fell only on the 13th as Ghé’s fleet intercepted the small Turkish fleet in the Sea of Marmara. In the storm of fire that ensued, the Turks lost their heavy cruiser TDT Yavuz and their light cruiser TDT Medjidah. Only their destroyers escaped destruction. The sea was clear for Italian landings.

040-01-BattleofSeaofMarmara.jpg

The battle of the Sea of Marmara, an overwhelmingly unequal contest.

On the next day, the 14th, the first landings began. The entirety of Gambara’s corps was put down by Italian transport and assault ships at Corlu, just outside Istanbul on the European side. The plan, hurriedly conceived, was to take Istanbul and utilize it as the 7a Armata’s main logistics base in Turkey. Given the importance of Istanbul, Gambara’s entire corps was dedicated to the task. Only after Istanbul’s fall would it begin dispersing to create a larger front and take territory. In the event, eight Italian brigades fell upon three defending Turkish brigades, supported by carrier air groups and naval bombardment, and routed the Turks in three days with just over two hundred casualties. The Turks lost nearly a full thousand. Gambara’s corps began driving into the city and laying plans for exploitation over the Bosporus.

040-02-LandingOutsideIstanbul.jpg

Gambara’s landing outside Istanbul.

With Istanbul on the verge of being secured, the second stage of landings began. Roatta landed with half of his corps on the southern coast of the Sea of Marmara. Roatta’s own headquarters landed at Biga, Mancinelli went ashore at Bandirma and Scattini landed at Karacabey. The coast was completely undefended; it seemed that most of the Turkish army was away, likely on the Soviet border. The general operational plan was to keep the Turks off balance and dispersed on several small fronts or one large front, an effect amplified by the lack of Turkish forces nearby. In Yugoslavia, the Italians found it difficult to keep the Yugoslav defenders off balance, due in part to the fact that the Italians were attacking from only one direction. This mistake was not to be repeated in Turkey.

040-04-RoattasFirstLanding.jpg

Roatta’s own landings on the southern coast of the Sea of Marmara.

By the 20th of October, Gambara’s corps had brushed aside what little resistance there was on the other side of the Bosporus and was advancing into a vacuum, though the first Turkish reinforcements were rushing to fill the gaps however they might. Roatta’s bridgehead was beginning its rapid expansion, undisturbed by any Turkish action. It was at this moment that the final stage of the landings commenced. Pintor’s army headquarters, together with the two remaining divisions of Roatta’s corps, landed on the western coast of Turkey. It was another three-region spread of landings, meant to throw the Turks into further chaos. Pintor’s headquarters landed in the middle, flanked to the north by Bitossi’s division and to the south by Giorgis’. With the completion of these landings, the first phase of Operation Ariarathes was finished; Pintor’s 7a Armata was firmly ashore in Turkey, an achievement made easier by the dearth of Turkish resistance.

040-05-CompleteOperations.jpg

Operations by the 20th of October.

By midday on the 21st, the landings were done. Gambara’s bridgehead was still the smallest, albeit the most important. Half of the corps found itself swinging southward to link up with Roatta’s bridgehead and guarantee it access to supply. Messe’s and Frattini’s divisions, however, were ordered to march along the northern Turkish coast and, ultimately, secure a second port, the only other Turkish port, at Eregli. The divisions from Roatta’s bridgehead found themselves moving broadly eastward. Pintor’s bridgehead was also pushing eastward. It was anticipated that within a week, all three bridgeheads would be combined together into one and providing a broad front the Turks would not be able to cope with.

040-06-Operationsby21stOctober.jpg

The progress and plan of operations by midday on the 21st of October.

Unlike the Yugoslav operation, which quickly degenerated into a series of bloody battles with only a few notable successes leading to breakthroughs and relatively easy victory, Operation Ariarathes seemed from the beginning to go immensely well. Yugoslavia began with confidence and ended with the general staff somewhat humbled, from their initial position of heroic ambition. The plan this time was to make sure that didn’t happen. The Regio Esercito was well on its way to making sure that it ended this war with honor born of virtuosity.

8 divisions and 3 HQ's?
If Turkey is conquered by those, I shall really wonder if HoI3 AI shall ever be able to defend ones land properly unless the one defending occupies superior positions with superior strength with superior tactics and guns. :rofl:

Caesar must have conquered Gaul with a HoI3 game engine... :rofl:

I find it interesting that you spent much research resources making certain that your navy would be up to speed, and so far all they've been doing is transporting and supporting infantry divisions running amok.

Good work, though. I guess you really didn't need to spend much research time on your ground forces. They seem to be doing just fine.

-- Beppo

Interesting observation by Beppo. Of course, in the longer run, the Royal Navy beckons...

Your Turkish operation is off to a good start. I expect that the Turks have enough forces to make life miserable for your invasion forces, but the question is whether they can concentrate enough forces at once to really cause trouble for you. If the Turks keep feeding in divisions one at a time, you shouldn't have any issues.

The Yavuz was a Battlecrusier, not a Heavy Crusier.

Anyways, this operation is looking magnificent so far! It seems I have been pessimistic about the preparedness of the Turks!

This time I think the world will see what Guerra del Fulmine really means!

Sure, the Germans have their ridiculous Panzer-battles that they like to call Blitzkreig. But Italy, uses Air, Land and Sea! What we have here is a Turkish Delight, just waiting to be dissected!

I could go on with my Bombastic Rhtoric all day, but I wont...:rofl:

BlitzMartinDK: Blitzkrieg?

Well.. a bit farfetched, perhaps..
But before and during The Great War, SOP was to try to destroy an enemy army, and force the opponent to the negotiating table.
So if there was an enemy stronghold, it had to be attacked!
This Russian general made a new strategy, and went PAST enemy strongholds (by attacking the line at its weakest points)to attack in the rear. I think the name of the general was Brusilov.
The Germans at once realized what this meant, trained some troops, and made some headway in a 1918 offence in march on the westfront. But the full concept was difficult to execute, when infantry was only as fast as you could walk :D
This concept was then, in between the wars, improved upon by tanks and planes and mobile infantery.
Who made the tactics first is.. discussed differently, depending somewhat on the nationality of the author :D
one linkie http://www.firstworldwar.com/bio/hutier.htm .

Last edited:
Enewald: Maybe he did! :D

Beppo: Don't confuse the ends and the means when it comes to naval warfare. In expeditionary warfare, the end is a safe sea. The means are battle, or blockade or whatever. If I've accomplished the end without resorting overly much to the main way of bringing it about (battle), fabulous! As for ground forces, they can always be improved. :p

Stuyvesant: Hehe most states have forces large enough to make my invasion forces miserable if they really try. It's just a matter of where they are, in relation to my forces and also to my objectives. :p

loki100: True but you're forgetting one thing--Turkish national unity. It's completely down the shitter. ;)

Maj. von Mauser: Was it a battlecruiser? Fair enough, I still can't tell the difference then. I obviously don't play enough. And yeah, the Turks aren't exactly prepared for anything. ;)

BlitzMartinDK: Interesting. Though really, it depends on what your definition of blitzkrieg is. I know one academic who could argue that it was, in fact, invented by Alexander the Great. ;)

Vote vote vote!

Oh Myth, I didn't mean to say 'you have to do this or that more', I only stated what I liked about your story. :)

I am definitely looking forward to your attack on an enemy matching in strength and ability - Loved that Russian MP AAR you had a while back..

BlitzMartinDK: Interesting. Though really, it depends on what your definition of blitzkrieg is. I know one academic who could argue that it was, in fact, invented by Alexander the Great. ;)

If you use the "Rapid operations of combined arms (land and air)" definition, then I think it was invented as UK marched north through Lebanon and Syria towards Turkey proper in WW1.

Spiritraiser: It might be. :D

Juan_de_Marco: Unfortunately as long as I play against the AI I'll never be playing against an equal in terms of ability. ;)

Nikolai II: That sounds fairly plausible.
nods.gif

Update for tomorrow evening. Also, vote!

The turks, they disapoint me. I was expecting your landings to be contested and eventually Italian supremacy shows in massive engagements. Instead I get this. Good job though!

Finally had some time to read your AAR. Looking good so far. Perhaps its time to purchase HOI3 myself :D.