• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
well the ending befitted everything else ... genius

& it was a neat trick to try and tip Poland over the edge once the Soviets had released it as a puppet - well worthy of a strategy that seemed based on about 40% fundamentals and 60% opportunism

... and just to say how much I've enjoyed following this AAR.

And end more satisfying than I anticipated! Good work Myth. It was a pleasure reading this AAR. :)

Yes, a very entertaining adventure.
Thanks many times over for sticking with it to the end.

This actually points to one area that HoI3/Semper Fi needs to address in its base game -
offers of terms of surrender.
The idea that a nation state would fight on untill complete destruction is the exception rather than the rule.

Any plans for a new Semper Fi AAR?

i've been following since early on, and have to add my applause to the chorus that is now ringing out.
very good job myth.

Well, that's the only AAR I continued to read after I gave up with this game... Excellent work! Superb writings and good gaming. A pity this "Year of Ruin" ended so suddenly and with a mysterious, unexplicable disappearance of the Italian Duce.

A different story would have been if Soviet force in Poland wouldn't surrender, and if Americans started their D-Day. Germany was collapsing and Italy wouldn't have enough military strenght to face the two enemies - the Eastern and Western ones... But that's just fantasy.

Congratulations to Ciano for being a so skilled diplomatic to arrange an impossible peace...

It would be interesting to see a recap of Italian generals. If you were to put them all in the poll and sort by skill level it might be an eye-popper. A view of some techs, such as fighters and bombers would likewise be interesting. Total forces from the statistics would be nice also. Just one more hour of work-:)

Myth, congratulations on the conclusion of hostilities! We look forward to your additional discussion on the state of Europe and strategy.

I see the disappearance of Mussolini as an action of strategy to further the position of the Italian state. Surely he knew that after such an immense push, the army was exhausted and not fit for an immediate drive on Moscow--it could be not until 1946 that such an offense would be possible, if even advisable since by then, given several months the Soviets would have had time to prepare physically and diplomatically (such as: USA being historically sympathetic to the Soviet Union). And, importantly, Italy never wanted war with the SU. Persia... maybe, for ancient historical reasons! :rolleyes:

With the fall of Poland and shattering of the Soviet spearhead (as well as the abject humiliation of the German army), Mussolini achieved everything realistic that Italy could do as far as restoring the Roman empire, and the next logical step is peace. But! Mussolini himself, as the architect of war, would be a poor peacemaker. Thus, he simply retired in a fashion designed to force a crisis, shock Italy out of conquest-mode and quiet the warmongers long enough for the Great Powers to come to the negotiating table.

From a plotting and alternate history standpoint, you have enacted a stroke of genius befitting your character. My hat is off to you, Myth. And, it puts the AAR firmly in the "plausible" camp, as opposed to the "conquer the world" category.

Since everyone is or will be requesting your next adventure, may I humbly suggest something truly challenging, like Bhutan? :D

--Khanwulf

Magnificent. From a minor state shorn of its Great Power status, to the central power in Europe: incapable of domination, incapable of being dominated, the centerpiece of a Community of Europeans.

I would like to think that the stresses of command, combined with the excesses of celebration, caused Mussolini to die in his moment of climax. Such a bedroom disaster would be unfitting for the pride of Italian Manhood, and would be hushed up. Thus the persistent myths of a Lunar Base of Operations.

Interestingly, the German State will almost certainly be dominated by Italians, economically, or politically. I'm sure that the previous occupants of power hastily reinvented themselves in the Italian mould. Post War Revelations Regarding Central Europe, on land now possessed by the Neutral Italian Leaning Polish State will be interesting.

Thanks for one of the best AAR's I have had the pleasure of reading.

Mussolini on the moon .. what a frightening idea ... I hope he will return on a SF fit to explore new strategic ways :)

Once again, thanks for the amount of work and congrats to you.

What a great read and a very good finish too. Looking forward to the strategic conclusions.

IMO your strategy was very well designed to handle the UK, which you did rather quickly, but it proved to lack troops to throw at the Soviets. You managed to compensate through actually having a strategy, but an extra army or two early on, at the expense of some ships, would have made this much easier.

bummer that ur game corrupted =/

Amazing AAR, I have to say. Being Italian, I've always wondered what would really have happened with a decent command structure and dedicated, driven soldiers, and a superb tactician (that is you.), and I must say, it is fitting for the AAR to have ended as it did, it is so like of Mussolini to be unable to handle the magnitude of success.

I must applaud you once again on this fabulous AAR, I hope you do another to the same extent, I'll be following your Explorations in Strategy !