• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The Year of Ruin
Part 12: Operation Save-Ze-Germans III, June 28 – July 3, 1945

The endgame of any campaign is always difficult to foretell with any great accuracy by those involved in its planning and execution. In part, this because of the uncertainty and danger that permeate the strategic world; one can rarely know with certainty what was over the next hill, to take a minor tactical example. Of course, in war the enemy always has a vote too. They always have a significant input into the conduct of any operation, as well as the processes of war termination and the ultimate end state of any war. After oneself, the enemy is the most important factor in any war and that is to view war through an ethnocentric lens, for really the enemy is exactly as important as oneself. The lesson is necessarily that both proclamations of victory and of defeat are always premature and that either end result will arrive when it arrives and not before.

Yet Mussolini was hoping to push the war against the Soviet Union into endgame. He could not be sure where the majority of Soviet formations were, but he hoped to smash those in Poland at the very least. Simultaneously, he hoped to dominate the eastern front territorially, thus forcing the Germans to fight behind his Italians. This would have the salutary result of the Germans probably advancing to hold the territory that the Italians took, thus getting at least some use out of them. Of course, to achieve this, the Italians would need to accomplish stunning success in Poland. Mussolini planned to do so by sending Bastico striking toward Warsaw. In fact, Bastico’s push toward Warsaw would have many parallels with his push on Moscow. Both were undertaken without his full force and, indeed, his advance to Warsaw was even weaker than toward Moscow! He could only deploy a single full corps against Warsaw, as distractions behind him required the deployment of other forces in that direction. Pintor was fortunately to his south and could lend support, but this support was academic as long as he had not broken through the concentration of Soviet and Polish formations before him. All the while, the Germans were being punished.

130-01-MarchingonWarsaw.jpg

Bastico, marching on Warsaw with a single corps.

The result of this confluence of factors meant that Bastico had to resort to maneuver to achieve his goal. Fortunately, past experience showed him to be a master of maneuver, as the Illyrian campaigns indicated. Even with one corps, he could be dangerous. Thus, while Pintor forged through Soviet formations to try to protect Bastico’s southern flank, Bastico’s solitary corps threw itself in three different directions to try to take Warsaw. Here was yet another parallel with Moscow, where his vanguard corps undertook exactly the same sort of operation. Even the details of approaches were parallel, for Bastico’s forces approached both cities from the south, east and northeast—or tried to. Further like at Moscow, Bastico’s vanguard corps was very exposed, with extremely long and unprotected flanks on both sides. And, finally, the Soviets were beginning to react as stubborn defense bought them time. If Bastico had been a lesser man, he would have been cowed by such an alignment of factors for the second time in half a year. Yet he was not, instead he completely threw himself into the conduct of this important push.

130-02-ClosingtoWarsaw.jpg

Bastico’s lone corps closing on Warsaw, slowly.

Meanwhile, on the Dnepr, Soviet pressure also intensified. The Soviets were much more numerous than the formations of the two Italian armies deployed to distract and hold them, those of Graziani and Guzzoni. The Germans too were worthless, either unwilling to actively engage unless under direct Italian operational control or were deploying back and forth like entire formations of thousands of men were headless chickens. As before Warsaw, frequently the Italians were dedicating single corps to operations which required armies. So it was around Kharkov, where three divisions aimed to occupy the city, save their corps headquarters from the assault of Soviet marines and generally push the Soviets back across the Dnepr River. This sort of scene was replaying itself across the front as superior Soviet numbers began to make their presence felt, particularly as German units abandoned the front and left gaps vulnerable to exploitation.

130-03-DesperateMeasures.jpg

Desperate measures in the east.

By the beginning of July, the state of the Polish theater had improved recognizably. Although there was a significant mass of Soviet formations in southwestern Poland, they thinned out in the north. They had achieved a sort of frontline against the Italians in the east, but it was a weak one. Bastico’s solitary vanguard corps retained some momentum and was pushing forward toward Warsaw. It had linked up with Pintor’s army, so that the Italians nearly formed a coherent frontline of their own in Poland against the Soviets. The Germans, however, were of course being beaten although even this process was slowing down as the Soviets directed more and more attention and assets eastwards.

130-04-PolishTheater.jpg

The Polish theater on July 3.

And so the question had to be posed. Endgame? Warsaw was being threatened with conquest, the Soviet forces in Poland were increasingly finding themselves between a rock and a place that should have been hard but was not quite so. If success were achieved in Poland, what then would be the next course of action? How much longer could the Soviet Union cope with the losses it was sustaining? During this period of time it had lost another fifteen thousand two hundred and fifty men, as opposed to eight thousand two hundred Italians. The next few weeks were sure to be decisive.

My question is: What then? If the Soviets lose a significant number of men in Poland, it doesn't matter. The Soviets have plenty of brigades left over, and a drive eastward will need to be defined by quick and decisive encirclement. If you get bogged down against the Soviets, the drive will fail and the Germans will be finished. That last picture was rather illustrative of the suddenly desperate straights the Germans find themselves in.

I think you have to forget about the Germans. They are not a help during this campaign; and coming to their "rescue" has only served to thin the Italians forces beyond the point of cohesion. There is almost no cognizable "front line" and there are no reinforcements. The hope is to clear Poland, retreat from the Dnepr and reinforce the Ukraine and eastern Poland with the troops that end up exhausted on the German border. That's not much of a "hope."

Btw - what's going on in Turkey? If you get make your way to Baku and Stalingrad, then you might have achieved some strategic success.

Nice progress in the west, but I'm worried about the east. Are you going to gradually retreat in the east to a more defensible position? You seem to lack the forces to enforce any kind of operational offensive. If you would happen to successfully free a corps or two from the eastern front, you might be able to shift them into the west and destroy the south eastern part of Soviet front.
Since the Germans are apparently unable to hold the line on their own, hence a more mobile approach for all of your forces might be a good choice.

The Year of Ruin
Part 12: Operation Save-Ze-Germans III, June 28 – July 3, 1945

130-04-PolishTheater.jpg

The Polish theater on July 3.

I just see one XXXX HQ in this area. How can you manage with you at few HQ? I always creat a long HQ hiyeraji. Like;

XXXXXX

XXXXX

XXXX XXXX

XXX - XXX - XXX - XXX

XX - XX - XX - XX - XX - XX - XX - XX

And yours;

XXXXXX

XXXX

XX - XX - XX - XX - XX - XX

İt will creat a many problem. For example Generals have many different skills. You can use this skill when you need. Most importantly you need Good HQ for your supply transportation.

Think about that... Maybe you already know this things but i just feel tell this obhjectives to you.

Honestly, I don't see how this operation can acheive any sort of "END", even is successful, unless you are content with the possible destruction of another Polish State.

if you manage to save their ass the germans deserve you to invade them after you're done with the USSR

Is that German-held territory north of Warsaw? If so, you're actually tantalizingly close to cutting off the Soviets. Of course, even if you close the pocket, the Soviet pocket is bound to have more combat power than the entire German army and they carry, what, 30 days of supplies? They could advance a long ways into Germany on that...

Fun, fun, fun, but I'm still not persuaded that this will actually work. Oh well, it's not like you have better options... :)

wow. Great AAR.. been working away at it for the last week or so now, and finally caught up! You inspired me to try out some of your strategies on my own... I might do a brief AAR myself, although I haven't been keeping track of all the details the way all you AAR writers seem to!

I'm up to Sept/Oct 1941 now and the Germans are seeming much less useless as they are in your game! Go find Hitler and bitch slap him for being such a lousy field commander!

Honestly, I don't see how this operation can acheive any sort of "END", even is successful, unless you are content with the possible destruction of another Polish State.

Given that the strategic theme of Explorations in Strategy is the culminating point of victory, every end is another beginning. Except for the crash. I'm still claiming the crash is a revolution, coup, or dismissal of Mussolini in Rome. I'm trying to figure out why.

I think you face a very fundamental problem; which even your clever maneuvering will have difficulty overcoming.

It's an economic and industrial matter.

Simply put, your army is absolutely wrong for the kind of war you are fighting. You rely upon concentrating force where your enemy is weak. You outmaneuver; you win by being in the right place at the right time. You get there "the first with the most."
When the war was being waged along the coasts of the Aegean and the Black Sea, your navy allowed you to use infantry formations and still arrive with the most, first.

But those days are over. You no longer can rely upon naval superiority to grant you the maneuverability which won you the Balkan Campaign. You're in the Eurasian plain now, and from the Fulda Gap to Sinkiang is nothing but tank country- and you don't have any tanks.

You can't out-maneuver the Soviets because you aren't any faster than they are. You have an army of footsloggers, facing off against another army of footsloggers- and they have a lot more feet than you do.

I'm not saying you won't win- you're one hell of a player and the AI is retarded. All I'm saying is that you are fighting in the wrong terrain with the wrong army. If this Polish campaign works and you get some breathing room, use that breathing room to turn some of that manpower into armored and motorized units. You'll need to conquer Russia sooner or later on a shoestring manpower budget, and that is not going to happen with an army of Sicilian infantrymen. If you are going to win, you *need* a blitzkrieg.

I think you face a very fundamental problem; which even your clever maneuvering will have difficulty overcoming.

It's an economic and industrial matter.

Simply put, your army is absolutely wrong for the kind of war you are fighting. You rely upon concentrating force where your enemy is weak. You outmaneuver; you win by being in the right place at the right time. You get there "the first with the most."
When the war was being waged along the coasts of the Aegean and the Black Sea, your navy allowed you to use infantry formations and still arrive with the most, first.

But those days are over. You no longer can rely upon naval superiority to grant you the maneuverability which won you the Balkan Campaign. You're in the Eurasian plain now, and from the Fulda Gap to Sinkiang is nothing but tank country- and you don't have any tanks.

You can't out-maneuver the Soviets because you aren't any faster than they are. You have an army of footsloggers, facing off against another army of footsloggers- and they have a lot more feet than you do.

I'm not saying you won't win- you're one hell of a player and the AI is retarded. All I'm saying is that you are fighting in the wrong terrain with the wrong army. If this Polish campaign works and you get some breathing room, use that breathing room to turn some of that manpower into armored and motorized units. You'll need to conquer Russia sooner or later on a shoestring manpower budget, and that is not going to happen with an army of Sicilian infantrymen. If you are going to win, you *need* a blitzkrieg.

I agree with Thirdfain -- I've spent a lot of time and research on 2 major areas beyond the naval techs (carriers and light cruisers) -- those are tanks and infantry. In late 1941, my infantry is up to 1942 techs and light and med. armour is up to 1940 techs and researching the 1942 techs. 1 on 1 with infantry divisions against Soviet infantry divisions, I've been able to dominate (I'm usually using 3inf + 1art, although some of my divisions have a TD instead of ART). When I concentrate the firepower with the more mobile they just roll over. Again, the Germans have made a lot of progress in the north too, but it seems like tanks are very important when fighting the Soviets because they can outmaneuver through and then behind the lines instead of getting bogged down trying to get there.

I also agree. If the Soviets don't run out of supply, it looks like their pocketed force could turn back and bite you hard. I can't imagine there are many organized units left in the German army that will actively attack the Soviets rear should they turn back at you. Whats the plan if your infantry fails to finish off the trapped Soviet armor? Or is the attachment of TD brigades a cheap and possible answer?

Wow

It is amazing what you can accomplish with such small forces. Yet (and I hate to keep repeating myself) You dont have enough men to finish the job. In "real life" I suspect you would have gone to the peace table long ago-Benito and Uncle Joe could spilt Europe between them! :rofl:

hiho Myth.
i've been reading your AAR for a 1,5 years or more now. thanks for your astonishing work, i'm loving it.
but frankly: is it a possible ending for this? :))
IRL Americans or Britains would have already captured undefended Spain, France or even Egypt. It's getting more and more out of end, i think.
but never mind, because you rock btw!

Axe27: What then is always the major question against Russia, given how big it is. At the moment my priority is to protect Germany, because otherwise it's halfway to game over. :p

WhisperingDeath: If I forget about the Germans, the Soviets will be on the Alps soon enough. I have two armies around the Caucasus but they're fighting the Persians as well as the Soviets. Baku is taken but Stalingrad is way out of reach. :p

Baltasar: I have enough in the West to achieve my objectives. The east is there to keep the western thrust from being hit from the rear. :p

Enewald: :p

loki100: Good thing for that at least. :D

ERTURKHAN: I'm just lazy at bringing HQs forward, usually because they're still in range. I have corps HQs, army HQs, and an army group HQ in west-central Ukraine. I have all the HQs I need. :p

Maj. von Mauser: It's meant to save the Germans, not accomplish some decisive end. Because if I can't save the Germans, the Soviets will be on the Alps. :p

NERFGEN: By that point I could orchestrate the invasion with three men and a pig, given in what shape their army's probably in. :D

Stuyvesant: No, that's Soviet-held German territory. :p

mankle30: Ahh the Germans have always been poor strategists since Bismarck left. Though it's handy to have an ally whose tactical value is actually more than that of an un-mortared stone wall. :D

li2co3: Hehe. :D

Baltasar: They don't want in. :p

Thirdfain: Most interesting thoughts, certainly. The Soviet army is being attrited though, albeit slowly. From a high of about 1400 brigades they've been brought down to the 800-900 range in the past two and a half years and I don't believe they have the manpower to create more formations since it's all going into reinforcements. Success in this Polish venture would easily destroy another one hundred to one hundred and fifty more brigades, although some seem dubious about the prospects of success. :D Plus, the more formations the Soviet Union dedicates to tangling with me in any one place, the easier it will be to advance elsewhere--in the Caucasus, in Ukraine, in Finland. The Soviet army is overstretched to about the same extent as mine is, but lack my operational to compensate to some extent for this, putting them at an overall disadvantage of sorts. If only through attrition over the space of a few more years, I would win even if the war was confined to the border areas of the USSR because the Red Army would eventually cease to exist from being pressured from numerous different directions at once. :p

mankle30: Hehe, but as can be seen in my latest offensive, I don't necessarily have trouble breaking through Soviet lines either. The trouble usually comes from Soviet reinforcements from far-away places, which is one of the factors which historically foundered the German 1941 offensives. ;)

Gen. Hillier: The Soviet operational space will be pretty narrow though, and it wouldn't be too hard to punch through it to the Germans and isolate pockets from north to south, I would think. :p

walnutr113: Quite possibly. Stalin was reasonable in his own way. If I could promise him Poland from the Germans, I think he'd take it since I was rather against this war in the first place. ;)

pkawol: Oh, none of those places are undefended. I have an army garrisoning Spain, albeit its reserves have been shipped off to the eastern front. But they hold all the ports etc in strength. And Egypt is protected by way of Central Africa, where I have my marine corps and another corps of infantry. That, and the British are too stupid to try to port-jump up toward Egypt as I did southward from it. :p

Next update Saturday!