• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I'd love to see this continue. But perhaps it's better with a end with style now rather than a boring one later on. Perhaps you could use the 2nd awesome one and then make a short fanfic post to end the war?

I am amazed you don't auto-save. I can (sort of) understand someone not using autosave in their game, but not when they are sharing iut with others via AAR. I'm sure (hope) you auto-save the papers you write or the research you do and this is no different. I auto-save weekly and I still get upset when the game crashes (which is not too often).

I would like you to write the interesting progress and, when you reach the crash point, I would like it if you can finish the story with a few paragraphs that tell us how the story ends. This has been a great read (I voted in the AARland awards) and I would like to hear the end.

I vote for the second crash play. It sounds like Italy is even in a better position than your last reports. It could be a good point for a negotiated peace.

A suggestion-On the eve of the greatest victories, suddenly an ugly stalemate appears. Il Duce is thrown into depression and suddenly dies. Count Ciano takes the reins and offers a reasonable peace-which is accepted by all-except Hitler. Hitler is promtly assasinated, Goering takes charge but decides he must go through detox first. While in the rehab center he is strangled by Frank Borman, who is caught and promtly executed. The British send Rudolf Hess home to a Hero's wecolme. Hess liberalizes the Party and everyone lives happily ever after- (except Poland which must assume responsibility for causing the war).

Just an idea. :)

I really enjoyed this AAR. All good things must come to an end. As pointed out by someone else, this will end sooner or later anyway-most likely in an inconclusive way. Time to move on.

Looking forward to your next fray in history.

my vote goes for option 2, crash and end date. I'll hate to lose this AAR, but with the bugged up AI of Germany it sounds like a good ending for it.

Then just start a SF AAR of some country, announce it here, and you'll have another faithfull lurker that will follow that ;D

Even though Italy is, in my opinion, the most interesting and fun nation to play, and I don't think there is a person on these boards more fit to do an Italian campaign justice than you, I would say you should terminate the game if that is what you want. I understand how frustrating a crashing game can be and the German AI has been absolutely abhorrent. But I mean...if you want...another Italy campaign could be cool ;)

As I´m annoyed myself with paradox games crashing these days and suspect that the crashes will only get worse I vote to end the AAR here.
I of course would also be delighted to see a different story unfold afterwards.

I vote for the AAR to end here as well. Without some patching and/or SF, the problems and the crashes are likely going to get worse not better as time passes.

However, I'd love to read another AAR by you, if you have the time to start one.

Go ahead and end it. Tell us what the idiotic AI did in your third play though. I'm curious, and I'm sure I'm not alone.

loki100: I'll do my best to deliver to the very end. ;)

Enewald: Well, everything has to come to an end some time, and personally I find world conquests pretty boring if there's no challenge. And boring months wouldn't be good for the AAR. :p

aglozier: I'll be buying SF once I'm back in the States after mid-September (cause it'd be cheaper for me :p), so then I'll begin toying around and seeing who else I might want to play. ;)

FrodoB: Seems like a lot of work to me. ;)

rasmus40: Indeed, indeed. :p

The Messenger: Man it'll take a few more years for WW2 to end probably, and most of it would be slog of some sort. :p

foriavik: How would that work out Crash game as "war plans" with anticipated results and take advantage of the time given by that to replay '45 again? :p

Nikolai: If I did go with the second crash game then of course I'd tie it all up in the end.
nods.gif

shepherd352: I did use autosave for the third replay, but I just dislike the autosave. Dunno why, as I'm a compulsive saver elsewhere. But for this AAR I'm playing in blocks of years, and except for 1945 it's always gone well. :p

Cpt Crash: Yeah, I think it's getting to the point where I'm running out of interesting strategic situations to act in. :p

Krogzar: I do have some ideas for SF AARs, but I'll need SF first to see whether they're worth trying. ;)

Cyrus_The_Great: Nah, don't think I'd do another Italy game. Not immediately, anyway. Some other interesting country. ;)

Peasant-at-war: Well the problem may not necessarily be the lack of patching but rather that I have actually patched, all the way up to 1.4, and you know how Paradox games can be when you continue a save between patches. I've gone through three in one save game. :D

Thomas Kenobi: I am admittedly slightly lacking in time, but I don't think I can eschew AAR-writing. It's become too much of a habit for me. ;) This is my sixth AAR in five years. In those five years, I've written probably between three and four hundred thousand words, if not more. So stopping writing would be a very strange feeling for me. :p

dublish: As if I'd hide the horrors they've done. :D

Time to add my vote, and I think I'd go with the second crash myself. This has been my longest AAR project except for, ironically, my other Italian AAR, with Discomb, Bayonets Made of Milk, and much of that time was spent in hiatus as opposed to here where I've been active virtually the entire year. Still, with the crash game it'll end with a bang (in a couple ways :D) and will still last a good couple months more so it's not like it's over just yet. ;)

The beginning of the end begins tonight!

The Year of Ruin
Part 1: The Great Offensive I, January 1 – January 11, 1945

Geography matters. This is a fundamental fact of strategy and warfare that is too often overlooked in the quest for decisive victory. If achieved, after all, a decisive battle tears away the trappings of geography to land a body-blow at the opponent’s polity, policy and politics. This quest for decisiveness was born out of the Napoleonic Wars and survived even the great changes in the battlefield wrought by the expanding size of armies and the pace of technological change. Humans can adapt to any situation in the pursuit of an ideal. By the First World War, ‘battlefield’ had become a misnomer as battle was no longer confined to one field, or two or even a dozen consecutive fields. Instead, battle became a theater-wide phenomenon, with armies grappling, as during the First World War, across the entire span of countries. With the expansion of the battlefield, geography came to matter even more than previously, when armies were but points on a plane. Now, armies were the plane. The crushing weight of this truth bore in on Mussolini and his generals as they spent the last months of 1944 planning operations for the following year. They were going on the offensive.

They were going on the offensive, but the geography of the Soviet Union stifled their imagination. The geographer Halford Mackinder postulated that the Soviet Union, laying as it did across Eurasia, was the great pivot of geography and thus of history. The potency of this observation is never stronger than when honestly confronting the geography of the Soviet Union with an eye to invasion. Even with three million men the scale of the required effort boggled the mind and left it inadequate to deal with the challenge. The seven Italian armies available for invasion totaled half a million men. The challenge Mussolini faced was correspondingly greater. The Germans already in Ukraine and in the Caucasus provided yet another perhaps four hundred thousand men, but these were bound to be unreliable. Furthermore, Italy’s great strength lay in its sea power, an advantage of no use beyond the narrow littoral of the Black Sea. Italy’s options were legion, but all too similar for the variety to be meaningful. All dictated pushing into the infinite interior of the geographical pivot. The result was a campaign as tenuous as that of the previous year, if not more so, and infinitely more ambitious. Italy’s armed forces in the Balkans were split into to army groups: East and Anatolia. Army Group East comprised Bastico’s 1a Armata, Graziani’s 2a, Vercellino’s 5a, Pintor’s 7a and Guzzoni’s 8a, totaling some three hundred and sixty three thousand men. Army Group Anatolia comprised Amadeo Duca degli Abbruzi’s 9a Armata and Baistrocchi’s 11a Armata, totaling another one hundred fifty-five thousand men. Army Group East was sent in its entirety into the steppes of Ukraine. The order of the five armies in their final positions was to be, west to east, Guzzoni, Pintor, Graziani, Vercellino and finally Bastico.

119-01-RedployingforOffensve.jpg

Army Grop East redeploying for an offensive out of Ukraine.

The task for Army Group Anatolia was different. Amadeo Duca degli Abbruzi’s army was sent to the Caucasus. A small force of only two corps of three divisions each, the logistical system across Anatolia was sufficient to support them in active operations even with German formations already there. Baistrocchi’s army, three corps totaling ten divisions, had a different task, initially much more in like with Italian proclivities. The Soviet army had been hit hard the past two years, and its strength was about nine hundred brigades, compared to the combined Axis total of about thirteen hundred. Mussolini judged that it should be possible to overstretch the Soviets, so that they would be weak everywhere. Perhaps the Germans would even do something productive then. Baistrocchi’s mission was thus to, firstly, land in the Crimea.

119-02-LandinginCrimea.jpg

Baistrocchi’s landing in Crimea.

With the fall of Sevastopol, thus guaranteeing a minor source of supply until overland routes were established, Baistrocchi’s army would dedicate minor assets to cleaning the peninsula and then moving east. They would cross the straits and move beyond Kazan. The oil refineries at Maikop would be threatened from the north, Rostov-na-Don from the south and Baistrocchi would kick up as big of a fuss as he possibly could. With ten divisions in a vast area entirely bereft of Soviet forces, Baistrocchi had the potential to cause a lot of trouble and be a significant distraction for the Soviets. If and once Soviet forces reached the area, Baistrocchi would fight. With an area the size of France to fight over, there would be more than enough opportunity for maneuver and, in the worst case, the route back to Sevastopol and evacuation would remain open. The first blood of the offensive was thus drawn in Crimea, as the one Soviet division on the peninsula was trapped and destroyed at the cost of five hundred Italian and German casualties.

119-03-CrimeanOffensive.jpg

By the 11th of January, Army Group East redeployments were nearly finished. The task of Guzzoni’s two corps in the far west was to pressure the incredible Soviet salient between Italian-German and German lines. A couple hundred kilometers to the east, Pintor’s army was located just south of the edge of the great German balcony, as it were, in northern Poland. Their job was to make Soviet redeployments out of southern Poland as difficult as possible. Pintor’s army was, in fact, in the best possible position not just to move on Kiev but to connect with the German eastern front and create a massive, undoubtedly porous, pocket of that entire area. Directly next to him, Graziani’s task was to provide flank protection to Pintor’s northern push, for his forces would be arrayed facing primarily north and west. Vercellino was placed next to Graziani and his mission was to support the great northward push. With the second-largest army in Army Group East, and with the only mobile corps, great achievements were anticipated of his force. Bastico, with the largest army, was deployed on and just west of the Dnepr. His three corps, twelve divisions, would be the main striking force. He was to push northward, toward Moscow.

119-04-FinalDeployments.jpg

The final deployments of the five armies in Ukraine.

Mussolini knew that his forces were but a small pittance against the exigencies of geography and the Soviet army, even in its weakened state. The entire Italian army comprised just over to hundred brigades, of which perhaps as many as fifty were in Spain and Africa. The available Italian forces were this probably only about a sixth as large as the entire Soviet army. The capacity for the Soviets to overwhelm the Italians while remaining committed to its main front with Germany, to the front in the Caucasus and in Finland was doubted, but Mussolini knew better than to underestimate his opponent. The Italian offensive was a gamble. Mussolini was going to defy armed forces six times greater than his own, and a vast geography beyond the understanding of those who had not yet waged war there.

I have to side with the "write #2" crew. All good things have to come to an end--even wars! :wacko:

Stepping back a minute to look at the grand geopolitical situation, you have both the US and Japan sitting on their thumbs and not getting involved in the Great European War, Britain neutered thanks to having its fleet locked in the Med--and is losing control of Africa. Russia was doing ok, but as many have pointed out, it is at a tipping point with manpower and cannot match the genius of Mussolini and his generals.

If the Soviet Union takes it in the chin with the 1945 offensive, then it would not be hard to see a negotiated peace (by the US, perhaps), divesting the European powers of their empires in the east (ie. keeping Japan neutral), ending the war with Britain, and more or less formalizing the situation. Germany would go for it, since such a peace would enable the kind of continuous but low-key warfare on the east that was envisioned by Hitler, who originally viewed the British as a kind of natural allies to his Aryan Empire (at least until they declared war over Poland).

Of course, such a peace would only be for another "20 year armistice", but maybe the USA and Roman Empire could coexist in an uneasy peace guaranteed by nuclear MAD?

Myth will tell us. :)

--Khanwulf

Achtung!

So the question I have is this: should I write the second play or the third? Writing the second means, obviously, that the AAR will end at the crash date.
:p

For an appropriate ending to simulate the crashing computer, come up with a Turtledove-ish Colonization trilogy ending. Not necessarily aliens, but come up with your own idea of an obtuse end of time as we know it.

You can do it...

Enewald: They're basically sitting around doing nothing much, now that the Soviets have arrived to sit in front of them. :p

FrodoB: It's called New Research in the History of Warfare. Should be quite interesting. I already know a couple of the people giving talks there, either 'cause I went to university with them or met them at the conference in Glasgow a month or so back. :p

Zanziabar: It does seem to be getting a bit unstable, yeah. :p

Khanwulf: My goodness, that would be an interesting scenario. A Cold War between the USA and Italy. :D

DanSez: I had briefly considered Cthulu even though I don't read Lovecraft. :D