• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
womble: The problem with very even battles is that they tend to be bloody. I like conserving my soldiers if I can. ;)

FrodoB: I will take your advice into consideration. :D

Update tonight!

Caught up on your AAR Myth, Glad to see your still fighting the soviet behemoth.

The lack of progress, despite El Duce's inclinations otherwise is distressing though. Indeed, if im reading this correctly the number of soviet troops has gone up from 400,000 to 600,000 men =/ I certainly hope we can put a far more sizeable dent in soviet forces this year.

Also, have you tried bombing the hell out of infrastructure in the "relatively" narrow corridor the soviets have into the balkans? It might further aggravate their notoriously bad supply problems.

Zanziabar: Bombing that corridor was something I did two years previously, so I anticipate that should the need arise I could do it again. ;)

Update coming up!

Also, I've been accepted for an internship this summer at RUSI. Whooo! :D

The Year of the Masters of War
Part 2: The German Campaign in Finland I, January 1 – March 19, 1944

The initiation of the new Italian endeavor against the Soviet Union was, to some degree, hostage to the actions of other belligerent powers, both allied and enemy. The German campaign in Finland was one barometer that Mussolini used to judge the precise moment to launch his great gamble, especially once it attracted significant Soviet forces into the theater to counter the German advance. For once, Italy’s German allies were actually actively engaging the Soviet bear, albeit in a subsidiary theater, as well as a lesser member of the Western Allies, Finland.

Germany’s lesser allies, too, got in on the action in and around Finland. Indeed, while the German forces fought on the main Finnish front, a handful of brigades hailing from Luxembourg and Slovakia, operated on the Kola Peninsula against an isolated handful of Soviet and Finnish formations. While the two Luxembourgish brigades were proper infantry, the four Slovakian brigades were just militia, and on top of that had probably gotten lost trying to march from Presov to Bratislava and ended up above the Arctic Circle. Against these forces, the Finns fielded one infantry division and the Soviets two infantry and one marine formation. However, and fortunately for the Slovakian and Luxembourgish soldiers, the Red Navy was not up to supplying their isolated comrades on land by water across the White Sea, which they commanded, and so the Soviets and Finns were fighting under a severe handicap. This handicap led to an abortive Soviet march on Murmansk that, due to the dispersed character of their enemies, led only to the encirclement of the two Soviet infantry divisions a couple hundred kilometers short of their objective by January 20th. Only the Finnish division was close enough to attempt a rescue, but failed to do so.

106-01-FightinginKola.jpg

Operations in Kola, itself a subsidiary part of a subsidiary theater. The Soviet marine division is not shown, but was deployed directly to the east of the easternmost Slovak militia brigade.

Strangely, particularly for puppet troops, the Luxembourgish and Slovaks were not content with what they had achieved in the Kola Peninsula. Instead, they scented blood and were quick to press their advantage—an attitude the Germans could have learned themselves. On the 23rd of January, one Slovak militia brigade assaulted the Soviet marine division head on, and put it to flight. Apparently the élan of the elite and the necessity to defend the motherland did not make up for a crippling and by then at least a month long complete lack in supplies, particularly ammunition. Furthermore, on the 29th two of the other Slovak militia brigades assaulted the encircled Soviets, at Murmanskaja, and roundly destroyed both divisions! To top off this stunning display of puppet martial prowess, the fourth of the Slovak militia brigades attacked and put to flight the Finnish infantry division, even as the Luxembourgish infantry observed the battle idly. It seemed that apparently lost Slovak militiamen were quite vicious when aroused to anger and thus fairly effective even against more numerous enemies, albeit ones who were crippled by a lack of supplies.

106-02-VictoryinKola.jpg

Victory in the Kola Peninsula!

The Germans, meanwhile, had been conducting a fairly staid, albeit arguably competent, campaign southward through Finland. They took no chances however, an unsurprising development given their Teutonic rigidity. Nevertheless, by mid-March they had occupied Turku on the Finnish coast and were threatening Hanko. In the center of the line they were but a short hop from actually taking the Finnish capital at Helsinki. Further east, they had encircled two Finnish divisions, which they claimed were an armored and a mechanized division, and seemed on the verge of encircling two Soviet divisions. By this time, the Finnish defense had fallen apart to such an extent that the Soviets were bolstering them everywhere along the frontline, a remarkable change in attitudes between the two countries given their not-too-distant war in 1939-1940. While the notion that the enemy of one’s enemy was one’s friend no doubt played a certain role in the decision-making on both sides, a greater role must have certainly been played by Finland’s incredible desperation to remain independent of Germany. Indeed, by March 19, Italian intelligence estimated that upwards of twenty Soviet divisions were committed to stabilizing the Finnish defenses. While not particularly significant in and of itself, twenty divisions representing perhaps sixty brigades out of a conservatively estimated total of over eleven hundred, it was still a distraction for the Soviets—and, more especially, an active distraction, as opposed to the passive one presented by the main German-Soviet front.

106-03-ApproachingVictoryinFinland.jpg

The Germans, approaching victory in Finland.

The sideshow in Finland was one of two outside influences on the timing of the new Italian endeavor against the Soviets. Mussolini spent his months watching the progress in Finland and hoping that the Germans would remain active enough to force a greater Soviet commitment to that place, so otherwise unimportant to Italy. And yet, even if no greater commitment would be made, it remained nothing less than a boon to Italian strategy.

Also, I've been accepted for an internship this summer at RUSI. Whooo! :D

'Whooo!' indeed. :cool: Congrats for sure!

It seemed that apparently lost Slovak militiamen were quite vicious when aroused to anger and thus fairly effective even against more numerous enemies, albeit ones who were crippled by a lack of supplies.

The must have been some Italian advisors with the Lux. and Slovak troops, if not Italian troops in disguise. How else to explain the sudden exhibition of competance in the far north?;)

I hope this presages some good reports involving Italian maneuvers in the south.

Everything is upside down this time-line. Mussolini is the Axis' strategic genius and Luxembourg and Slovakia leads the way toward Leningrad. :D

It's nice to see Germany and her allies active somewhere.

If you could only lure these Slovakian übersoldiers to your front, your success against the Soviet Balkan front would be assured...

It's nice to see your allies achieve something for a change - it's hard not to get excited and get carried away with the possibilities. ;)

I haven't yet Googled RUSI (yes, I'm lazy), but seeing how stoked everyone is, I'll extend a hearty (yet ignorant) congratulations.

Avatar018: Yeah, I was pretty shocked when I saw the Germans doing stuff too. :D

grenada: That's pretty funny. I wonder what it is about the Slovak conditions that makes their AI go competently berserk? :p

loki100: Thanks! :D

FrodoB: Thanks! And it's quite possible that there were Italian advisors up there, maybe! Or that Italian advisors trained the Slovak army. Or something. I dunno. :p

cthulhu: Yep. What a game! ;)

Maj. von Mauser: Yeah, finally. :p

Forster: Thanks, and I'll only mention it when it's interesting. :D

Judas Maccabeus: To Leningrad, and then to Moscow! Oh, one can only dream...;)

soulking: Yeah they were a pretty good job for the AI, given how incompetent it was before. ;)

Stuyvesant: Yeah, getting carried away is a danger. Also: RUSI. And thanks! :D

Jemisi: Yeah, though of the two admittedly it's mostly the Slovakian troops. :p

I'm honestly not surprised by this turnaround in offensive capability. You mentioned earlier that starting this year you upgraded to patch 1.4 which greatly improves the AI's ability to coordinate and participate in attacks. I think doing this upgrade may be the spark your campaign needs in order to survive as Italy. Curious though...isn't the US doing anything? Have they DOW'd Japan at the least (or vice versa)? Could it be possible to provide a quick diplomatic recap of who's on which side?

WOW! I just caught up. This is amazing. I think you should but more IC into infantry and maybe even some tanks. that was a great offensive in Greece, unfortunately you didn't hold the ground. MOAR UPDATES!!

Juan_de_Marco: Ooh, that is an anchor. Makes more sense than being mechanized. I misinterpreted it. The difficulties of intelligence! :eek:

Jorath13: The USA is completely neutral. Most of the rest of the world is hostile to the Axis though, but they're primarily unimportant Latin American countries. :p

ve3609: Welcome, and thanks! I have indeed been steadily putting more IC into infantry making over the past year or so. It should be bearing fruit soon-ish. ;)

Next update tomorrow evening!