• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hahaha, looks more and more like Germany is shaping up to be the Austria-Hungary to Italy's... well... Germany. Hopefully that turns out better for you than for the Central Powers in the first World War, though. :p

the brits

just curious - what are the brits up to these days? Is your control of Spain or Suez at risk? Do the brits look capable of invading France, or Scandinavia?

reis91: To be fair, Germany is probably the most worthless ally I've ever had, so they deserve it. :p

Judas Maccabeus: Hopefully indeed! :p

badger_ken: Oh they're doing nothing much. :p

Forster: Indeed it is. I still haven't decided yet. :D

Jemisi: Yes! Someone who understands! :D Plus they were only Germans, and so pretty worthless. ;)

Unwanted Expeditionary Forces

Ran into this problem big-time with Communist China in the '36 scenerio.

What to do with "forced" loans:

1) Turn-off re-enforcements (the little manpower icon on each division) so they don't drain your manpower.
2) Turn-off upgrades (the little target icon on each division) so you never have to upgrade them.

These units still drain supplies, so best to keep them out of your territory.

But, before you send them over a cliff, take a look at their leader(s). A good level 3 leader in an HQ may be useful, as well a good tactical leader can help upgrade a stack of your divisions on offense or on defence (this usually is not the case in the east, but German leaders on average are not that bad).

Valentinian

"Pound them Harry, pound them!"

Good updates. I am so glad you have finally eliminated the threat in the Balkans.

One really must wonder what is going on in Hitlers HQ. Hopefully you will be able to take those German Ex. Forces and kick the Persians out of Slovakia, as that is a worrysome threat. That division could potentialy break the German lines and invade Italy from the North!

Valentinan: Yeah but that's a pain to do. Much easier my way. :D

Jemisi: Oh I don't really mind the flack, they just don't understand my genius. ;)

Maj. von Mauser: I dunno, the Soviets would have to go through a lot of Germany to get to me. They'd dissipate into the vastness of Europe. :p

Mr.G 24: That's true. :p

Writing after work is pretty hard, as by then I typically don't really have the inclination to do anything! So next update will probably be Saturday as before. :p

Just curious, why arent you moving into Iraq? You can never have enough oil, and it would be better going to you than the middle east's allies

Myth's forces up to this point haven't been large, and mostly concentrated agains the Soviets. His oil needs, with no large armored force, have been primarily to maintain his fleets. Though I don't remember a view of his resources in recent reports, I would doubt that he is hurting in that regard. And I wouldn't think he has much more than 15-20 divisions that are not in Dacia/Illyria at the moment, and not much free to move to the mideast.

Myth has definitely done much with little. Though if the Soviets are truly on the ropes, we may see him spread out a little wider afield.

Myth's forces up to this point haven't been large, and mostly concentrated agains the Soviets. His oil needs, with no large armored force, have been primarily to maintain his fleets. Though I don't remember a view of his resources in recent reports, I would doubt that he is hurting in that regard. And I wouldn't think he has much more than 15-20 divisions that are not in Dacia/Illyria at the moment, and not much free to move to the mideast.

Myth has definitely done much with little. Though if the Soviets are truly on the ropes, we may see him spread out a little wider afield.

Plus, he'll just create a considerable problem when he reaches the Persian border. Though, all the Persian divisions seem to be storming across Europe, destroying all resistance in their path! :p

IFD123: What FrodoB and LOLKATS said is true. Also, Iraq is neutral anyway, so I'm not at war with them. :p

FrodoB: I always try to achieve the most I possibly can with the least I can possibly get away with. I think I'm pretty good at it. ;)

LOLKATS: Yeah, the Persians are the biggest threat to world peace. :p

Update tonight!

Valentinan: That may be so. :p

Today's update is a bit on the short side, I'm afraid, but it's coming up!

The Year of the Masters of War
Part 13: Technology II, July – December, 1944

As always, military operations are always underpinned by the home front and any events and advances that occur there. Mussolini had begun a drawing down of sorts in Italy’s technological and doctrinal research and development efforts over the past year in favor of funneling more intelligent young men into the officer corps of the Italian armed forces. This, of course, leads to a slowdown of technological development. Mussolini felt, however, that increasing the size of the officer corps, and consequently increasing the effectiveness of the Italian army, navy and air force, was worth the drop in research. In part, this was because less major research remained to be done at any one time, or was worthwhile in doing at any one time, and so fewer resources were needed as there were less projects to devote those resources to. Consequently, Italian technological advances during the latter half of 1944 are sparser than hitherto, but for good reason.

There was but one technological advancement in the latter half of the summer, in July and August. This occurred in late July, and resulted in improved radar technology. At this stage of the war, radar and signals technology was proving to be very valuable. The Balkan operation was in full swing at this point, and signals posts run by the Italian intelligence services were able to pinpoint all Soviet divisions throughout the Balkans, regardless of whether or not they were at the front at the time. This gave the Italians a significant advantage that commanders adeptly turned to their advantage through relational maneuver. As Italian scientists were not yet ready to continue to the next stage of radar and signals development, Mussolini instead decided to fund the development of further improved cavalry anti-tank weaponry. September proved to be busier, however, as on the 12th, the air staff submitted a new version of the manual on logistical strike tactics, then their manual on tactical air command the next day and finally their manual on interdiction tactics on the 14th. Mussolini immediately authorized them to begin working on newer versions still. In late September, funds invested into cavalry small arms bore fruit as a new carbine was developed. Mussolini authorized its distribution through the cavalry divisions and directed funding into industry to further develop their rare materials refining process. October saw further improvements to cavalry armament, in the form of improved support weapons and also light artillery. These two projects were replaced by more industrial projects, into coal processing and coal to oil conversion. The final development in October lay in army technology, as Mussolini’s nascent interest into improving Italian operational speed began bearing fruit. The first army manual on operational level command structure was released on the 19th. Mussolini immediately ordered an updated version.

117-01-OperationalLevelCommand.jpg

Operational level command structure, to give the Italians even more advantage.

November began with more cavalry improvements, as the anti-tank weaponry project was completed. Mussolini again turned to industry to provide a new project, which responded by dedicating resources to improving steel production. Soon afterwards, Italian industry reported that they successfully tested a working rocket engine prototype. Originally, Mussolini’s interest in rockets lay in bombarding the Soviet Union into subjugation, but with Italian operational triumph, this option, always suspect, seemed unnecessary. Mussolini would have to define some other use for rocketry within the bounds of Italian strategy. Meanwhile, he ordered industry to improve its oil refining, now that Ploesti was back in Italian possession. These were the last developments of the year, save for three new air force manuals that were released with the new year. The three manuals were, of course, on tactical air command, interdiction tactics and logistical strike tactics. Mussolini again endorsed further revised versions.

117-02-RocketEngine.jpg

Vrrooooooom! Rocket engine!

Italian research and development during the latter half of 1944 had slowed down in favor of more immediate support to the forces on the front. This was also in part because projects to develop further were running out, or the time was not yet ready to initiate them. It remained to be seen, however, whether this trend would continue into the new year or whether, with significant operations concluded for the present and the immediate danger to Italy passed, more resources would again be funneled into research and technology.

Some good advances.

How large is your cavalry force? Or have you not enlarged it from pre-war(game) levels?