• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Unfortunately, it'll take a while to get that penalty down. It won't disappear for long, though, the AI controlled countries seem very keen on slowing down your research.

I have had this same effect on my research, and again had to devote my spies to conter-espionage rather than using them a little more offensively. Yet another example of how many facots you have to take into account in decision-making :).

I can't wait to see all your new hardware in action - I'm guessing as soon as you've got your carriers to a useful level of tech? Will you time your moves to match Germany, or will you go on your own timescale, and hopefully before the Brits have got too much in the Med?

VILenin: Good assessments there, though nothing in Italian green can be ugly! :D

Stuyvesant: I'm anticipating at least one aircraft carrier and multiple other capital ships, plus their screens. Enough for a decent battle. ;)

Baltasar: Yeah, those bastards don't want me doing my research. :mad: :p

Palmyrene: Yep, policy-making is a complex business. As for my timing, Germany will probably move before I do but I'll no doubt take advantage of Germany's moves, if you know what I mean. ;)

Good progress! Glad to see you are starting to focus on your Army again! Spies are certainly more of a neusance in this game, glad you killed them.:)

Maj. von Mauser: Yeah, armies are good to have and have ready for action. And spies are bastards. :p

Kman211: Nope! No additional infantry, not yet at any rate. :p

Enewald: It is and they are. :p

sulla12: Thanks, glad you like it! :D

I've got an update ready for tomorrow morning, guys! Also, tomorrow I fly out back to England, to a new university for a master's program, and since I'm not done enrolling yet I'm not sure how soon it will be until I get internet access there. So until I do have a connection (whenever it may be) updates obviously won't be running.

The Year of Preparation
Part 8: Foreign Politics, February – November, 1938

1938 was the year that international politics struggled to keep up with the goings on of the world. Particularly in Europe, the revisionist powers were bending events to suit their will. The Allied powers were gradually finding themselves pushed up against the wall, quickly losing room for diplomatic maneuver and slowly finding that the normal tools of diplomacy were becoming irrelevant by the day.

The first event of note in international relations was the completely unexpected wooing of Ireland by Great Britain. Despite the friction between the two states that dated from Ireland’s war for independence in the immediate aftermath of the Great War, in a few short years in the mid-1930s the British had warmed relations to such an extent that Ireland agreed to a formal alliance in early February. Though on the diplomatic level a coup for Britain, this alliance did not seem to gain them anything important in a strategic sense. Another small army would fight at Britain’s side in case of a war, but even benefit was qualified by the unknown quality of the Irish army. In most other ways, to Mussolini it seemed to be the case that Ireland would actually be a drag on the British war effort rather than anything else. It would just make Mussolini’s task easier.

028-01-IrelandinAllies.jpg

Ireland joining the Allies in early February.

This event was followed within a month and a half by Germany’s first overt expansionist move since its failure, at Mussolini’s hands, to annex Austria. Germany was again moving against Austria, perhaps spurred by Italy’s ongoing and successful campaign in Spain. Mussolini, now allied with Hitler and distracted by Spain besides, acquiesced to Germany’s intentions of swallowing Austria whole. Thus on March 26, the Wehrmacht marched into Vienna. For ideologues such as Winston Churchill, a Conservative backbencher in Parliament, this was the second time in a month that Fascism had gotten clean away with an unprovoked act of aggression, the first being Italy’s campaign in Spain, which had been concluded on the 18th. It is unclear whether Mussolini’s acceptance of this event was, strategically speaking, in his favor. Though it gave the two allies a direct land border, in more dire times such a link may not be in either state’s interest.

028-02-Anschluss.jpg

Germany’s annexation of Austria.

At some point soon after Anschluss, as the annexation of Austria came to be known, Hitler moved against Czechoslovakia. Historians have argued that he felt that he was in Mussolini’s shadow, his consumption of Austria having been preempted by the Italian campaign in Spain and his Fascist credentials but a pale mimicry of Mussolini’s extensive career. Given Hitler’s extreme political theories, being second to whom he in private referred to as ‘the decadent Italians’ was unacceptable. Whether these statements are valid is beyond this work. In short, Hitler threatened to bludgeon Czechoslovakia with the Wehrmacht until he succeeded in frightening the Allies, who rudely parted the Sudetenland from Prague’s sovereignty. Three million Germans and a notable amount of industry, including a large proportion of the Czech coal mining industry, fell into Hitler’s hands. Unlike Austria, the Sudetenland did not directly concern Mussolini except inasmuch as it related to the theories noted above: that Hitler was attempting to position himself as the natural leader of the Axis.

028-03-Sudetenland.jpg

Czechoslovakia, having lost the Sudetenland to Germany.

While Mussolini was content with building up the readiness of his armed forces, Hitler was building up momentum. On the first of October, he dismembered the rest of Czechoslovakia in direct violation of the agreements made at the conference of Munich. Germany annexed the territory it called Bohemia-Moravia and set up Slovakia as an ostensibly independent state, though it was in reality merely a puppet of Berlin. Hungary, too, gained territory out of this butchery as it occupied Ruthenia. This did not directly impact Italy’s strategic situation and indeed, in retrospect, may be argued to have aided it in some way as international attention began focusing on Germany rather than Italy, which was in the uncomfortable accusatory spotlight of the League of Nations following its landings in southern Spain. Mussolini either did not realize this, or decided that attention was not yet sufficiently fixed on Germany to warrant any further moves on Italy’s part. Besides which, the Regia Marina was soon to receive its first fleet aircraft carrier, which would greatly impact the balance of power in the Mediterranean and raise Italy’s profile, particularly with Britain.

028-04-EndoftheCzechs.jpg

The end of the Czechs.

The last event of note during the year was something of a surprise to Mussolini. For over a year, Japan had been fighting the Chinese. The very occasional intelligence reports concerning this war that crossed Mussolini’s desk all pointed to a major Japanese defeat, as the Chinese were pushing into Manchuria and Korea. In mid-November, however, a diplomatic report suddenly announced that the Chinese Shanxi warlord clique had surrendered to the Japanese and turned their coats, to fight alongside the Japanese rather than against them. While of even less direct relevance to Italy than the dismemberment of Czechoslovakia was, it woke Mussolini to the prospect of Japan possibly being enough of a security threat to Britain for the British to station some forces in the Far East. This was a welcome idea, for it could only make Mussolini’s task that much easier.

028-05-ShanxiSurrenders.jpg

Shanxi’s surrender to Japan.

1938 was the year when the two major revisionist powers of Europe, Italy and Germany, began truly preparing for what they clearly saw as the oncoming war with the Allies. This preparation most prominently took on the form of territorial acquisition. Italy in particular took very strategic tracts of land in southern Spain, from which it might conquer Gibraltar. Germany’s expansionist moves were rather scattershot and seemed to have no real strategic concept behind them except for incorporating Germans into the Reich, though occasionally this also brought industry into the fold, as with Sudeten coal. Nonetheless, the stage was slowly being set for war. Forces on both sides were marshalling with more, or less, determination and deliberation.

just managed to catch up. I always loved playing as Italy in HOI2 and hope to follow this closely in preparation for my purchasing of 3 when I'm back in the US in a couple months. I always preferred to focus my resources in the African Theatre with troops in Ethiopia largely limited to militias to merely distract and delay Allied forces from reinforcing Suez which could then be easily taken by a swift land offensive east with armor and motorized divisions, coordinated with Naval Invasions East of the Canal that rather than advance into the Levant or Syria proceed west towards Cairo to cut off and destroy a huge portion of the Allied army. If executed properly you will hopefully have time to redeploy against the inevitable wave of enemy troops coming west from India and Iraq. I hope that this would work in HOI3 as it worked flawlessly in 2 and was the only way I could win as the axis in the insidiously difficult World In Flames Mod.(and man, fighting the Soviets in Armenia and Persia was crazy!)

Also, once Suez falls I found that the strategic value of Gibraltar was significantly diminished, as Italian Naval Bombers and Warships should be able to slowly wear down the Royal Mediterranean Fleet if the campaign is executed carefully(oh and don't forget Malta!). Finally, I was interested to observe the invasion of Spain, although for reasons I previously stated I oppose it:p, I always preferred the diplomatic route in dealing with Spain and hence Gibraltar.

So, that's my input which I could not refrain from giving as Italy has always been my favorite faction for some reason! Good Luck, I'll be following this as closely as possible.

Hmmm, the plot thickens indeed! Our esteemed friend in Berlin thought he was being eclipsed by Il Duce's shadow, eh? Had to take what he felt was rightfully his? Meddle in world politics for a span of nearly a year? Well...guess its a good thing and good timing! :p At least the focus of the world's attention is away from Italy, at least for the time period. Now to push out some of those military builds, solidify your position in Spain, and ready yourself for a war on several borders (France, Egypt, Tunisia perhaps). Lots to do...

Yougoslavia might come into that too, but do you want to start that operation before or after you sealed the Med off for British shipping? Same question for Greece and Albania. The Fuehrer might want to snatch a piece of the Balkans before the Duce is ready or while he is occupied with turning the Med into his personal bath tub.

Yet another question is: What is the long term policy towards Britain? They'll surely not agree to a peace where they were just kicked out of the Med and their Empire is so much larger than the Italian, giving them quite an advantage in the long run, especially if the Commonwealth joins the war effort.

I didn't know you were in an Alliance with Germany!:eek:

Are you going to build a radar post next to Gibraltar?
Being able to see some atlantic and some North African coast would be nice.
Would also cover the western half of the Med, and combined with a station in Genua or maybe Sardinia would give nice view of what France will do in the opening stages of the war.

Enewald: Yeah, the borders are pretty ugly. :p

TheHippopotamus: It really depends on what you want to do. I like Suez and Gibraltar because it makes safe any Mediterranean littoral territories from amphibious assault. Between that, good diplomacy and good strategy it should be possible to minimize my vulnerable borders. I hope. :p

Jorath13: Lots to do indeed! War will come, eventually. ;)

Baltasar: There's only one ultimate answer to British obstinacy. Invasion! :D

Maj. von Mauser: Yeah, I joined the Axis faction back some time in a previous year. :p

Pier: I do certainly plan to build radar, but the exact location is undecided. Of course, radar itself needs to be researched too. I think that occurs later. Don't remember at the moment. :p

RogueStuka: Oh yes, information is good if it's of actionable quality. :p

So I'm back! It's currently about 40 minutes past midnight here in Britain and I woke up about 20 minutes ago (to my neighbor below me's bass-y music). Slept from about 8 in the evening until then. Going to plan my day and then go back to sleep, hopefully in a couple hours. I'm not sure when I'll be able to write an update, so we'll see! :p

It's quite far in the future, but if you've managed to seal off the med by barbarossa, an amphibious landing in the urals (coupled with an attack from Persia if you also want a land route to India) will make your oil problems go away, and probably give you a surplus to trade with Germany for other stuff, especially if you also control the middle east.