+ Reply to Thread
Page 73 of 161 FirstFirst ... 23 48 63 71 72 73 74 75 83 98 123 148 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,460 of 3219

Thread: Explorations in Strategy - Italy at War

I've noticed that a few times on long threads. The last page isn't accessible. Looking at the situation now (i.e. yours is the first and only post on page 73), I'm guessing that it says there's a page n+1 when page n is full, but doesn't actually create it until there is a post to go there.

Arsenal of DemocracyDarkest HourHearts of Iron III

Quote Originally Posted by andre_sn View Post
    is it just me, or is it impossible to get to page 73 of this aar? I press 73, and just come to 72 again. Anyone else?

nvm, it worked now
    I've had this problem, what Womble has said is correct.
    Fan of the Week: 08/02/08
    Please go HERE, and help us develop new TT's for AoD!
    Awarded a Cookie by Remble, for spotting the Austrian Interceptor Squadron.

Approved AAR's:
    China's AARight to be Hostile - A different way for the Guomindang By Porkman
    The Setting Sun - Gotterdammerung, Japan 1944 By Remble
    Red Star over Blue Seas - a Soviet Navy AAR By th3freakie
    Explorations in Strategy - Italy at War By Myth
    sAARawakian history I By guy_montag

Imperial Guard Conscript Delta107's Avatar
    Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    Semper FiVictoria 2Hearts of Iron: The Card Game500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Blog Entries
    This really interesting, i'm subscribed
    Bridling the Horses of Saint Mark.
    "Full scan. The Emperor protects. But it does no harm to double check."
    Captain Severus of the Ultramarines

Do you want to be blessed by the True Pantheon? Do you want to be favoured by the Four like a true son? Sign up now and undertake the Pilgrimage!!!

Strategy Cognoscenti Demi Moderator Myth's Avatar
    Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDeus VultHearts of Iron IIIEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMagicka
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionSemper Fi

andre_sn: I have this extra page thing with long threads too, though I don't think I have it with this one.

womble/Maj. von Mauser: That's a possibility.

Delta107: Excellent, welcome!

I'll have an update for tonight, guys!
    Read about my full body of AAR works here!

Fan of the Week 13/08/09

HoI AnthologyEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesHearts of Iron IIILost Empire - ImmortalsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Victoria 2

Quote Originally Posted by Delta107 View Post
    This really interesting, i'm subscribed
    Hope you meant the AAR, and not the discussion about page 73 ..by the way, I have noticed it before, too.. And I think that Womble, as always, is correct!

200k club

Quote Originally Posted by womble View Post
    I've noticed that a few times on long threads. The last page isn't accessible. Looking at the situation now (i.e. yours is the first and only post on page 73), I'm guessing that it says there's a page n+1 when page n is full, but doesn't actually create it until there is a post to go there.
    The problem is MUCH WORSE in some threads. It's caused by Mods deleting spam/flame posts.
    AAR Commentator and Werewolf Whackjob

"Getting paid for reading is the best way to make a living."

The best bit in that game is this PM from OY to his packmates:

OrangeYoshi: ... I'll also put in a preliminary hunt order to Hunt Oky's replacement. (THE_SPLIT if I'm not mistaken). He publicly asked for a sub, and that is slightly more common in Lite if you have some sort of important role.

This is OY putting in a hunt order on Oky's replacement, who is none other than OY.

HoI AnthologyEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesHearts of Iron IIILost Empire - ImmortalsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Victoria 2

Quote Originally Posted by Ciryandor View Post
    The problem is MUCH WORSE in some threads. It's caused by Mods deleting spam/flame posts.
    Spam? I don't think I have ever seen spam in this thread?

..on another note, I DID receive a suspicius mail from an "Adminlady" ..and it has been reported and said "lady" ..removed..All very quick and professional, thankyou..

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDeus VultHearts of Iron IIIEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMagicka

BlitzMartinDK: Indeed.

Ciryandor: That's also possible.

BlitzMartinDK: Hopefully it'll stay that way too!

Update coming up!

Fan of the Week 13/08/09

The Year of Strategic Crisis
    Part 14: Littoral Expeditions II, September 1 – November 30, 1941

With his marines’ success in August, Mussolini decided to expand their area of operations and keep the momentum, such as it was, going. Another marine division, recently out of training, was sent southward under the command of Major General Balsti. The marines were the epitome of Italy’s experiment with littoral warfare, and Mussolini wanted nothing but success from them.

Thus he, Lisi and Da Zara hit upon another operation for them to embark upon. With the conquest of British Somaliland and, in particular, the port at Berbera, the Italians had begun the process of closing the southern mouth of the Red Sea. There was, however, another port, still in British hands, that needed to be conquered to fully protect direct access into the Red Sea. This was the port of Aden, across from Berbera on the Arabian Peninsula. Unlike Berbera, this was going to be a difficult landing: a French division held the city and harbor with three brigades of infantry. Lisi planned to throw both marine divisions against the French defenses, thus outnumbering them four to three, a paltry ratio in an age when the accepted wisdom was that a three to one ratio was necessary to lever defending units out of their positions without prohibitive casualties. Lisi, however, planned to utilize Da Zara’s fleet. Da Zara’s two carriers would launch all four wings of aircraft in support of the landings and subsequent fighting, while his cruisers would employ their guns in shattering whatever French positions they can reach. The amphibious assault began on September 17th.

The assault on Aden, with Balsti’s new division forming the vanguard.

By the evening of the 26th both marine divisions were ashore and fighting through the city, which continued to be fiercely defended by the French forces. Minor British naval forces happened to stumble through the warzone on this date as well, and Da Zara unleashed his cruisers from their support duties to slaughter them: one destroyer and five transport flotillas were wiped out. Hardly a great naval victory, but any British ship rusting on the bottom of the sea floor was a good British ship, to Italian eyes. Despite the constant bombing and the gunnery support, the Italians were having a difficult time against the French, whose positions were well prepared. The battle only ended on the 13th of October, after nearly a month of being supplied off a beachhead. The French were driven out of the city and into the desert, suffering nearly 1,500 casualties. Italian deaths numbered just under 950, a testimony to the bloodiness of the fighting. Italian casualties represented nearly a twelfth of their force, whereas French casualties were nearly one ninth of their entire division. Both forces were exhausted by the battle. Without Da Zara’s support, however, the fighting would have ended much worse for the Italians.

The results of the battle of Aden.
    With the marines finally firmly ashore at Aden and his fleet no longer needed for combat support operations, Da Zara was let loose to project his fleet out away from the mouth of the Red Sea and into the wider oceans of that part of the world. His first stop was the island of Socotra, whose port was the last piece in the defense of the Red Sea. It sat in the middle of the Gulf of Aden, and whoever controlled it could interdict any traffic going into and out of said Gulf. While the marines were busy mopping up in Aden, Da Zara meant to put that port out of commission on the assumption that it would be the next target of amphibious assault. There was no substantial garrison, but intelligence reports pointed to some sort of naval presence. Da Zara’s aviators discovered for themselves that it was a very weak presence: transports and destroyers. This did not prevent Lieutenant General Ricci from ordering strikes. All ships were sunk either in harbor by his warplanes, or by the guns of Da Zara’s cruisers if they tried to run the blockade.

Da Zara striking at the British-held island of Socotra.

The marines could not stand still, however, after their victory at Aden. The French were in retreat, and there was the possibility of overtaking their withdrawing columns and destroying them. This was a gamble, as the marines were so disorganized from the conquest of Aden that any defeat inflicted upon them would halt their momentum in the Arabian Peninsula completely and allow the French time to recover. However, it succeeded and the French were wiped out. The marines merely had to solidify their presence by taking the rest of Aden. This is what would occupy them for the one and a half months of late October and November.

The conquest of Aden.

The conquest of Aden was thus a successful enterprise. It further secured Italy’s domination of the Red Sea, barring only the danger posed by a potential British naval presence at Socotra, and erased a French division from the balance of military forces. Nevertheless, these are even at the best of times only minor benefits, and to some extent counterbalanced by what Italy’s enemies were doing, or trying to do, during this same time.

Fan of the Week 13/08/09

Rome GoldWarlock: Master of the ArcanePride of NationsRise of PrussiaCK2: Holy Knight

great stuff, glad you're keeping up the algebra tests:

suffering nearly 1,500 casualties. Italian deaths numbered just under 950, a testimony to the bloodiness of the fighting. Italian casualties represented nearly a twelfth of their force, whereas French casualties were nearly one ninth of their entire division
    even if you do then supply the answers

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCrusader Kings II
    Darkest HourDeus VultDungeonlandEast India Company CollectionEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III Collection
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneImpireEuropa Universalis III: In NomineIron Cross
    Leviathan: WarshipsThe Kings CrusadeMagickaMajesty II CollectionMarch of the Eagles
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeRome GoldSemper Fi
    SengokuThe Showdown EffectVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae VictisWarlock: Master of the ArcaneWar of the RosesEU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise

To Mecca!

Commander: Conquest of the Americas

Blog Entries
    I see lots of Crude in his near future. :-)
    "With a terrible noise that forest of lances dropped with one movement toward the heads of the horses, and fifteen squadrons of that cavalry accustomed to crush everything before it moved forward like a giant cloud."

Arsenal of DemocracyDarkest HourHearts of Iron III

Good, get all those ports you can! I look forward to see what has happened on the Russian Front.
    Fan of the Week: 08/02/08
    Please go HERE, and help us develop new TT's for AoD!
    Awarded a Cookie by Remble, for spotting the Austrian Interceptor Squadron.

Approved AAR's:
    China's AARight to be Hostile - A different way for the Guomindang By Porkman
    The Setting Sun - Gotterdammerung, Japan 1944 By Remble
    Red Star over Blue Seas - a Soviet Navy AAR By th3freakie
    Explorations in Strategy - Italy at War By Myth
    sAARawakian history I By guy_montag

Hearts of Iron III

An excellent use of naval power. Death by a thousand cuts is still death.

Cant wait for the next update

Hearts of Iron III

Quote Originally Posted by Myth View Post
    whereas French casualties were nearly one ninth of their entire division.

You mean, nearly one sixth?

Great job! How is Barbarossa doing? It's late autumn, is your defensive line holding?
    Early 1945, Hitler speaks to Mussolini: "...and then we'll get final victory. Yes! We got a terrific secret weapon. Terrific! Devastating! Don't ask me more. I only tell you, its name is 'AI'..."

Recruit
    Hearts of Iron III

Loving this AAR. How are the Germans going in Russia?. I guess oil is not high on your priorities as you dont have many motorised or mechanised units only a navy to feed, the middle east nations are safe for a while I would think!

EU3 CompleteHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne

Great update! I bet the germans would pay very nicely for that crude once you get it!

loki100: Though apparently I got my math wrong. You can tell that it's been a while.

Enewald: On to Damascus! Wait, no, that's Lawrence of Arabia.

delra: Crude what? Crude language?

Maj. von Mauser: Fighting! Carnage! Victory and defeat! The fate of the entire world hangs in the balance!

Jemisi: Exactly.

foriavik: Already? You just had one!

Gladiator: Oh that's right, one sixth. I got the right answer in my head, and then wrote it out wrong. As for those other questions, they will be answered in more or less time, depending.

dips123: Still, the navy uses quite a bit of oil once I actually get it moving. But yeah, those states are safe for a bit, at least.

coolluigi007: That's something I've not thought of!

Fan of the Week 13/08/09

Nice work! An Aden adventure, combined with many (smallish) British ships finding refuge below the surface of the water. If they were submarines, they'd be alright. Too bad for them.

-- Beppo

+ Reply to Thread
Page 73 of 161 FirstFirst ... 23 48 63 71 72 73 74 75 83 98 123 148 ... LastLast