• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
exciting! I was hoping that your air superiority would hold the Soviets in place - was it just stretched too thin?

other problem - and I noticed this when I was on the receiving end of a lot of Japanese CAGs, is that they are not that destructive when applied to land combat - either to attack directly or via infrastructure. So all that carrier based airpower won't do much real damage to the Soviet ground attack.

Aye, CAG's do ~ one-fourth to one-fifth the damage. I might start a new Italian game once 1.4 comes out. I just had to abandon an HoI2 Armaggedon 1.2 campaign due to crashing-while-saving... This time I won't ursue CVs but concentrate on BBs and army units.

I'll also have to see how Myth survives the Red onslaught. Interestingly, Germany was exceedingly successful in my 1.3 Japan campaign.

IME, the best use for CAGs in land warfare is as Interdictors to bog your enemy formations down; any damage they do is incidental in this case, or as logistical bombers. They're not as good at it but they can spread the load and the damage wider.

Well. A lot of pain for only the destruction of an armoured division. It will be interesting to see how the Soviets fill the vacuum. There may be opportunities for littoral operations that harass the Med flank. Tough luck.

I did notice that there was some forward movement of the Germans in one of your screen shots. Any chance that they can close the gap behind the Germans in a even larger pocket? Or that they will distract the Russians long enough for you to establish your new front?

On a side note,
How many new divisions do you have in the pipeline? What is there rough eta?

Wonderful AAR by the way!:D

Enewald: Yeah, civilization always crumbles when the barbarians are at the game. It's basically a meme now. ;)

Baltasar: Hehe well the entire time my naval air has been on interdiction, with a small bit on air superiority. I did actually think of the infrastructure bit myself, too. ;) As for your other questions, not much and not much yet. :p

Brad1: Yeah, it was certainly a hell of an ambitious plan. I blame those meddling kids for its failure! And by meddling kids I mean STAVKA. And Germany for sucking. :p

badger_ken: Air power isn't that effective, though I was also using it more in a close air support role. Soon it'll get the chance for a true operational role. :p

OneArmed: Thanks, and welcome! :D

BlitzMartinDK: Now now, that may be a bit pessimistic. ;)

loki100: Indeed, that's something I noticed from this campaign as well. :p

anweRU: Well, we'll see what the future holds when we get there. ;)

womble: Yeah, I was using them as interdictors. Soon enough I'll be using them in the logistical role as well. :p

buzzinfrog: Thanks, and welcome! The red tide will be a bit difficult to stem anywhere short of another choke point. :p

Forster: Haha, maybe...:p

Jemisi: Yeah, it didn't go as well as hoped. But in war nothing ever does. :p

AreoHotah: Nah, the Germans are completely worthless. The only thing they're doing is occupying the majority of the Soviet army, but they're not doing anything with that. As for my army, I do still have some units coming in from training and production and whatnot but I couldn't say how many or when. :p

The red tide will be a bit difficult to stem anywhere short of another choke point. :p

Choke points are only any real use for delaying unless you have a huge qualitative difference between the defenders and the attackers.

If your troops are roughly equal, then each side can just feed Divisions into the meatgrinder and the one with the highest total ORG will win eventually, but if the defending troops are taking less ORG than the attackers, there's a hope that the extra multiple means that the attackers don't have more effective Org than the defenders. Usually, that's going to require a terrain or fortification advantage, though possibly the extensive experience of the Italian army might actually provide tha advantage Mussolini needs here. How're your Fortification practicals? The gap from Venice to the Tyrol isn't very wide; can you keep the Russian Bear from the door long enough to build a meaningful defensive line in the plains of the Veneto?

Too bad can't still assume operational control of allies, although I'm not sure Italy would have been allowed to do that anyway.
This shouldn't be happening.
You could always load as Germany, pause and give the army groups some objectives to see if you could kickstart the Germans, then exit and go back to being Italy. Of course, you would then probabaly have a major reorganization to do. That way you wouldn't be controlling Germany the whole time, if you give them short objectives just to try and get them going.:wacko:

I would just do what I did as Germany in the 44 scenario; let the Soviets in Eastern Romania and fall back west to the mountains, then cut them off and destroy them. I know its kinda cheap but you could do that multiple times and destroy huge amounts of Soviet units so eventually you can roll up their entire southern flank.

I would just do what I did as Germany in the 44 scenario; let the Soviets in Eastern Romania and fall back west to the mountains, then cut them off and destroy them. I know its kinda cheap but you could do that multiple times and destroy huge amounts of Soviet units so eventually you can roll up their entire southern flank.
The problem with this is that Myth's units are already beat up having done something similar just the once and defending the mountains might not be enough.
I was thinking about a fort line too, but I wondered not just abot the time, but the cost.
I think the Venice-Tyrol line would only be about three provinces wide. Should be able to afford that by not paying for full supplies for a while... Long way to fall back though.

Myth's major problem is he has way too few ground troops, and the ones he has are actually understrength, 2 brigade instead of 3 brigade units. He is actually very brittle.
Although he wants to use the British style of warfare, he is neglecting a key point. Britain is an island and has a rather defensible fall back position when everything goes to hell. Myth, on the other hand, is fighting a ground war with a land connection and nothing to back it up, at least not yet.
I think he has visions of the thin red line, or maybe the charge of the light brigade! :D
Sorry Myth, but that's how it looks.:eek:

womble: Hehe my fort practical is 0, given that I've not built a fort in my entire life. As for chokepoints, true they're only supposed to be temporary, but in that part of Europe, northern Illyria just gets narrower and narrower. I should be able to hold the Soviets for a while, I think. :p

Forster:They'd probably still be too incompetent to listen to me. :p

Sangeli: Don't have the manpower to do that, really, as seen already. Plus the Soviets are also coming through Anatolia. :p

Jemisi: Costs would be costly. :p

womble: That is a long way to fall back, yeah. :p

Forster: Yep. 'Tis true. Well, I'll think of something. ;)

Update tomorrow evening, guys!

Once you reach your position in Illyria, I wonder if a Hungarian attack on the Soviets might help you out in the end. If the AI could be convinced to attack into the void space behind the Russians, you would have a good chance of isolating and destroying several of their divisions, may be up to the equivalent of an army.

Could you be bothered to post a screen of the other fronts soon? I'd like to see where the Wehrmacht is supposedly idling around.

Baltasar: It might be helpful tactically but it'd be ruinous strategically in the end. Hungary would be overrun by the Red Army and then they wouldn't be a useful buffer any more. As for screenshots of the Germans, there'll be some when there's a reason for there to be some. And there'll be a reason later this year. ;)

Brad1: With caution. ;)

Jemisi: Hehe, we'll see how things go down. ;)

Update tonight!

Even if a concentration of forces is the only wise thing to do, giving up Ploesti and Istanbul must hurt. Any African divisions that can be pulled back?