• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Actually, I think Soviet casualties have been much higher. Those numbers are for soldiers killed in the battle. When you surround and destroy a whole division, you don't get the total number of soldiers that were in that division and are now being marched off to POW camps. If he has destroyed 12 or 13 divisions, Soviet casualties ought to be around 70,000 to 80,000, assuming they weren't full strength. Still, Mother Russia has one hell of a lot more bodies to give up than Italy.:cool:

Actually, I think Soviet casualties have been much higher. Those numbers are for soldiers killed in the battle. When you surround and destroy a whole division, you don't get the total number of soldiers that were in that division and are now being marched off to POW camps. If he has destroyed 12 or 13 divisions, Soviet casualties ought to be around 70,000 to 80,000, assuming they weren't full strength. Still, Mother Russia has one hell of a lot more bodies to give up than Italy.:cool:

He bagged 11 divisions in Greece alone. I think that he is closer to 30 Soviet divisions destroyed in this adventure. Which would be over a quarter of a million Soviet casualties.

No, it's not that. Since my comment of advising Myth to build more troops, everybody (actually just two people) said I was wrong, but somehow I interpreted it has if I am an idiot.:(

That WAS a bit stupid! :rofl:

But seriusly, you are not wrong in telling him to build more troops. It's just been "asked and answered" a few times already :D -And since Myth does his best to answer ALL comments -or at least read/mention them - we are taking time away from him writing updates...:eek: oops! :eek:o

Enewald: I doubt the Germans will be sufficiently motivated by an Italian attack near them to budge, if they haven't moved (eastward) yet. ;)

DanSez: I think they have a couple dozen, including garrisons in Western Europe and all. The Germans must have a fetish for parachute silk. As for forts, they'd probably take too much time. :p

The Messenger: We don't hate you. BlitzMartinDK is just a bit testy. As for your questions: dunno, somewhere between 800 and 900, and no 'cause it's too much of a bother. :p

Enewald: That's a bit dramatic. I still have good manpower and leadership. :p

BlitzMartinDK: :p

Forster: 12-13?! It's at least double that number, I'm sure. :D

The Messenger: Nah, don't worry. This is just a tough crowd which feels personally invested in Italy's success. ;)

Jemisi: Yes indeed. :p

BlitzMartinDK: For example, writing a reply to this single comment alone has required ten minutes, three coffees and a cigarette break. :D

Forster: Mythic humor? :eek:

So, I'm flying back tonight! This is most excellent. Also means next update will be Thursday, as tonight I'll be on my way and tomorrow night I'll probably be too tired to see straight. Also, I have received news yesterday that I will be giving a talk at a conference being put on by the Scottish Centre for War Studies up in Glasgow this June. The conference is "From Waterloo to Desert Storm: New Thinking on International Conflict, 1815-1991". It should be fantastic, especially with me there. :cool:

Also, I have received news yesterday that I will be giving a talk at a conference being put on by the Scottish Centre for War Studies up in Glasgow this June. The conference is "From Waterloo to Desert Storm: New Thinking on International Conflict, 1815-1991". It should be fantastic, especially with me there. :cool:

Wow, 1815-1991, just a little longer than lordban's 'Danse Macabre'. :rofl:

Have a good time.:)

I'd be interested to hear how you take a common thread of history through such a long and changeable period. Good luck getting back in the country, hope nothing else goes wrong. On the plus side the weather's been really nice :rolleyes:

FrodoB: :D

Maj. von Mauser: On the flight, or in Glasgow? Glasgow's in two months, and the flight sucked, as flights are wont to do. :p

Jemisi: Thanks! Never works out that way though, but at least it was without real incident. :p

Ahriman: Oh hell finding common threads is easy in that period. And yeah, nothing went wrong, so that's good. :p

So yeah I'm back in England now! Have lots to do already and good stuff like that, though I should be able to get out an update at some point today for postage tonight, I think.

So yeah I'm back in England now!
Welcome back!
I should be able to get out an update at some point today for postage tonight, I think.
I've been thinking about officer ratio lately. How's your Italy's? Jamming some leadership in there if it's less than 200% could produce you some nice returns in terms of resilience and recovery rates across your entire armed forces, land sea and air, without compromising on the Infantry focus. Might even mean your bombers have enough survivability to do some damage to that monster Brit fleet in the East end of the Med.

He's still playing 1.3, I seem to remember that the officer ratio was not correctly calculated in that version, so it more or less does not matter if he has 100% or 200%

Maj. von Mauser: On the flight, or in Glasgow? Glasgow's in two months, and the flight sucked, as flights are wont to do. :p

I actually enjoy most of my flights. I've only had a few that sucked.:cool:

womble: Thanks! At the moment my officer ratio is about 113%. Didn't know there were bonii for having a better ratio, only that there were penalties for having a worse one. And as Baltasar mentioned, I'm using 1.3 (albeit will begin with 1.4 RC11 with 1944). :p

Baltasar: I take it though that it's fixed for 1.4, even RC11? :p

MajorMayhem: Somewhere in the uni presumably, dunno exactly where though. :p

Maj. von Mauser: Well I've probably flown much more than you have. 10 times last year alone, totaling about 30,000 miles. Total so far this year is three flights for about 10.5k miles. :p

So tonight's update will be this AAR's 100th! Whoooo! It's also a bit short, I found myself with a slight dearth both of screenshots and of things to say. Plus I have an excuse, I'm jet-lagged. :p

The Year of Returned Hope
Part 10: The Indirect Approach IX, August 3 – August 30, 1943

Many organizations, and in particular military organizations, are commonly regarded as being incredibly bloated bureaucratic entities whose fat needs to be trimmed down considerably. While there is some merit to such viewpoints, it is typically nowhere near as simple as such uninformed observers make out. Armed forces comprise and field many redundant capabilities, but this is due to the nature of war. Crises could and do come up at any moment that might require a capability that only hours previously had been considered redundant, enemy action is always across a broad spectrum of options that typically requires a broad spectrum in return. In unpredictable situations, and particularly in situations where hostile forces act intelligently, redundancy is not the luxury many take it to be: it is, in fact, necessary. This is because, again unlike their popular image, militaries tend to learn the lessons of the past and one of the major lessons is thus: to always have redundant capacity available.

The Soviets were finally applying their greater numbers with some concentration, thus provoking a crisis for Italian arms that there was simply not enough capability, redundant or otherwise, to adequately handle. Immediately, the Italians began losing their battles on a regular basis. Overstretched and tired from what had already been five months of constant campaigning, the Italians were no match for the great numbers of fresh Soviet troops who were finally making their appearance felt in the most damaging way possible. At Netanya, the Italians marked one of their few August victories, with less than seventy Italian casualties but nearly thirteen hundred Soviet dead. Kostinbrod, Pirot, Samokov, and Sofia were all Italian defeats. With defeat, and indeed repeated defeat, came the worst casualties the Italians had felt in a nine-day period, nearly seven thousand casualties aggregate from these four defeats! By comparison, the Soviets had lost only about four thousand eight hundred in these same engagements. Even taking Netanya into account, the casualty ratios had suddenly become frighteningly worse. On top of this, the Italian attempt to cut off the Soviet penetration had failed. Indeed, the Soviets had widened the base of their breakthrough and began exploiting it aggressively. Soviet infantry had already reached into Albania, and southern Illyria. Cei’s mobile corps was tasked with cutting off these offending spearheads and destroying them, in the first step to restoring some hope to the situation.

100-01-MovingtoCutSovietSpearheads.jpg

Cei’s cavalry divisions, and his motorized formation, on the way to encircle two Soviet infantry divisions.

Already in the south, Pintor’s and Vercellino’s armies had been making tactical withdrawals to shorten their front and achieve better positioning vis-à-vis their Soviet opponents. Graziani, at the northern end of the Soviet penetration, began doing the same on the 16th. There was indeed some indication that this was actually effective, for of the five battles the Italians fought against the Soviets in the second half of the month, four were successes. Casualties totaled an aggregate three thousand six hundred nonetheless, leading to a monthly total of nearly eleven thousand. It had been an expensive month for the Italians in the Balkans. In these same battles, the Soviets had suffered four thousand six hundred, returning the second half of August back to a vaguely favorable balance of casualties. At Gostivar, Cei’s cavalry attacked together with an unfortunate infantry division that had been pushed by the Soviet penetration all the way to Tirane to encircle and destroy one Soviet infantry division. The Soviet counterattack, initially aimed at relieving the division but failing in this task, quickly sent the cavalry retreating, however. Indeed, by the 30th of August, the Soviets had made inroads into Pintor’s and Vercellino’s defenses and it was at this time that de Stefanis’ division of old North Africa hands, veterans of Spain and all the campaigns of the Balkans, was largely cut off from friendly arms and would as a result be destroyed by Soviet action. Three brigades were lost in that nearly forgotten debacle. The Soviets also began pushing hard to the north, neatly beginning to roll up Graziani’s army and pushing deeper and deeper into Illyria.

100-03-WellFuck.jpg

Well, shit. The Soviets were pushing back hard.

Ultimately, the Italians did not have a plan or the capability to deal with the sort of crisis that faced them. The Soviets had finally brought enough forces into the theater to be able to negate superior Italian operational art through sheer manpower and attendant firepower. Then, with a relatively concentrated push, the Soviets had broken the Italian lines and were exploiting incredibly deeply into the Italian rear. It was an impossible situation.

Almost looks like a film of your advances, running in reverse. Only you don't get the troops back.:eek:

Now Italy begins to experiance what the Red Army did, constant fighting, no rest to re-organize, and, probably, slow reinforcement. :( And you don't have the reserves to form a new defense line and dig in (do you?).

Unless you can pull out Pintor’s and Vercellino’s units from southern Greece and move them by sea to the old Illyrian line.

Maybe Il Duce needs to pass the baton to the vice Duce and look into that retirement villa the wife keeps nagging him about...

By the way, glad you made it back okay overseas. The time difference sure works out better for catching up on the postings.:D

Here gentleman, we have a poor strategic retreat, that might result in the total collapse of the Illyrian front. :rolleyes:

The situations looks rather hopeless, but maybe you shall survive...

Run to Athens and form a solid line north of the city.

You should have stopped the advance earlier, built a line of forts, manned it before the retreat begun etcetera, but the problem is not your overextension or skills, but the fact that the Soviet AI actually managed to breach your lines, storm a hundred kilometres forwards without anyone hindering them, lack of Italian tactical reserve.

So, where is the reserve?
Or just make the front more thin in the north and hope it holds?

Or run back to the positions of last year, and make the same attempt again next year? :rofl:

Run away! :)

But yeah, you should have stopped when you started running out of steam. The Germans tried IRL in December '41 and got smashed for it.