+ Reply to Thread
Page 109 of 161 FirstFirst ... 9 34 59 84 99 107 108 109 110 111 119 134 159 ... LastLast
Results 2,161 to 2,180 of 3219

Thread: Explorations in Strategy - Italy at War

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourEU3 CompleteFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneKing Arthur IIMagickaMarch of the EaglesSemper Fi
    SengokuSword of the StarsSword of the Stars IIStarvoidMount & Blade: Warband
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword

Blog Entries
    Oh heck, that crappy AI again. Never seen the German AI acting that terribly though. It's almost as if Paradox patched the infamous 1.3 Japanese AI into Germany with patch 1.4

I assume your CAGs are still punding the Soviets? Do they give you any useful intel on the Russian backyard in the Balkans? May be there is some weakness you can exploit?

Nevertheless, the Italians managed to destroy some two dozend divison until now, probably more, and caused several tens of thousands of Russians casulties. Stalin should be steaming right now, ready to have some of his officers shot

Second Lieutenant
    Hearts of Iron IIISemper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by myth
    The Soviets had formed a coherent front after five straight months of continuous defeat and seemed to be going onto the offensive. It remained to be seen whether the Italians could still muster the strength to close off Soviet salients, if not go full out onto the offensive.
    You seem to be reaching a point of deminishing returns. If you can't reduce the front, you'll need to start plannning your retreat. That ant's nest in the Baltic certainly won't provide you any respite. And you would still need to block any forces in Turkey.
    How are your units org/manpowe holding up, especially compared to the Soviets?

By squinting, I can count 9 HQs, and assume 35-40 divisions on your side. What is the count on the Red Army directly facing you?

Second Lieutenant The Messenger's Avatar

Porto, not Oporto as you English people like to call it XD
    Bad luck in the frontlines!!!! You need to build more troops and send them to the front. Get a German expeditionary force, a German licence to build armor, build more troops, ..., something to make the soviets retreat.

Also, there are a couple of new infantry divisions in Bari or Taranto (Yes I saw them!!!!). Just send them to the front at all speed!!!!

Darkest HourDeus VultFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Semper FiSword of the StarsVictoria 2

A moment comes when a commander must recognize the ballance of forces and his ability to force a decision. At that moment, he must adjust his forces and his plans before the enemy regains the initiative.

It appears the German failure to engage the Russians has decided this issue. The Russian wave is coming. If you have a strategic reserve, there may be time to commit it and achieve significant operational victory and a forward defence position. If you lose control of the front, you may risk losing Italy.

HoI AnthologyEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesHearts of Iron IIILost Empire - ImmortalsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Victoria 2

Quote Originally Posted by The Messenger View Post
    Bad luck in the frontlines!!!! You need to build more troops and send them to the front. Get a German expeditionary force, a German licence to build armor, build more troops, ..., something to make the soviets retreat.

Also, there are a couple of new infantry divisions in Bari or Taranto (Yes I saw them!!!!). Just send them to the front at all speed!!!!
    Jeezz, I wish folks would read a few more of the comments, and the answers to them....This is about the fift time somebody is trying to make myth buy armor licenses..He hasn't got the doctrine to use them properly..Its also about the 15'th time somebody tells him to build more troops...

Very interesting Myth, It's amazing what a little italian know-how can do to change the tide of battle, Although the news that Soviet Divisions are nearly full-strength when you face them is a little disconcerting. If the AI could properly play germany you would be having a far easier time.

Perhaps an amphibious operation in the crimea? Striking out to get the caucasian oilfields denying those pesky ruskies vital oil supplies? Strategy wise, you'd probably deny them of a major source of their oil for 3-4 months, might be just enough to get a decisive piece of operational success in the Dacian front. I look forward to the next update.

Hearts of Iron III

Wow. I was thinking you might have time to get around their left flank, but that line looks a bit too solid. I'm interseted to see whether you go for broke or whether you start another strategic withdrawal having bagged so many divisions.

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Semper FiSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rise of Prussia500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BlitzMartinDK View Post
    Jeezz, I wish folks would read a few more of the comments, and the answers to them....This is about the fift time somebody is trying to make myth buy armor licenses..He hasn't got the doctrine to use them properly..Its also about the 15'th time somebody tells him to build more troops...
    I'm sure they have, they are just astounded that anyone would not build armor or more divisions when facing such a dilemna. Even without the doctrines, armor would help. Readers were encouraging him to start getting armor long, long ago. But, I am sure you have heard the saying, stubborn as a mule.

Myth is doing quite well and is very knowledgeable, but I think he is taking his alter ego's personna too close to heart.

Darkest HourEU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Iron CrossSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided

Well, if he retreats again, he can always assault again once the rest of his triangular divisions are built.
    In Canonized's Timelines: What if Spain Failed to Control the World?, awarded 20 points for pointing out the centrifuge used at one point; identified a cell phone; detected the inspiration for a bounty hunter; inspired a Cube scene and given 30 points for a Star Wars reference.
    Solved (with help from Davout) Canonized's Puzzle Plates Challenge
    Fan of the week August 24, 2008.
    Given 20,000 cookies by Maj. von Mauser.
    Has two ships named after him in DvD-IT's Das war ein Befehl! and a carrier in TRP's The Channel Pact
    Awarded the Pizza of Iron, First Class, in Kurt Steiner's Timelines: What if Stauffenberg had failed to save the world?
    Won a Cookie of GLORY in Alexus' Impo- Difficult Victory: A Japan Mod34 VE/A AAR

Hearts of Iron III

The front line is in danger of collapsing. You really need to turn your production in favour of land units. I see an infantry div at Taranto. Mare Nostrum is closed, why are you garrisoning ports? Or, maybe, are you preparing some sea invasions?

What about a new retreat? Just for giving Germans the time to find their lost kitten....
    Early 1945, Hitler speaks to Mussolini: "...and then we'll get final victory. Yes! We got a terrific secret weapon. Terrific! Devastating! Don't ask me more. I only tell you, its name is 'AI'..."

HoI AnthologyEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesHearts of Iron IIILost Empire - ImmortalsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Victoria 2

That infantry at Taranto is his new builds. They stay at home until at full org. Transport fleet is standing by.

But yes, a new retreat, and then next time he lands in Greece, lures the soviets there, and lands another army at istanbul/Constantinople while assaulting out of the line.
    Last edited by BlitzMartinDK; 26-04-2010 at 14:08.

Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Victoria 2

Moar Tr00ps!

Seriously, I like the AAR.

Strategy Cognoscenti Demi Moderator Myth's Avatar
    Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDeus VultHearts of Iron IIIEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMagicka
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionSemper Fi

Tribal: Nah they haven't, it's far too much of a bother to use them.

Baltasar: This is 1.3. And it's probably more than two dozen divisions, maybe between three and four dozen actually. I'm going to do a rough count at the end of the year I think.

FrodoB: A lot of my divisions are still in good shape, though an ever increasing number are really quite low on org. As for the Soviets, they probably outnumber me everywhere by this point.

The Messenger: Yeah, troops are being made. But there's no use committing formations piecemeal. That won't really make much difference.

shepherd352: Control is something I will try hard not to lose.

BlitzMartinDK: Now now, stay calm.

Zanziabar: I can't get into the Black Sea without taking Istanbul first, and don't really have the necessary and ready forces for something like that anyway.

Jemisi: Yeah they've been really solidifying.

Forster: Stubborn? Me? Naaaahhh.

ColossusCrusher: Possibly.

Gladiator: As has been noted, those forces in Italy's heel are a new army being formed. Problem is that formation takes a while.

BlitzMartinDK: Yep.

Meastro444: Yeah, more troops are coming, albeit slowly. And thanks!
    Read about my full body of AAR works here!

Fan of the Week 13/08/09

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCrusader Kings II
    Darkest HourDeus VultDungeonlandEast India Company CollectionEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III Collection
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneImpireEuropa Universalis III: In NomineIron Cross
    Leviathan: WarshipsThe Kings CrusadeMagickaMajesty II CollectionMarch of the Eagles
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeRome GoldSemper Fi
    SengokuThe Showdown EffectVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae VictisWarlock: Master of the ArcaneWar of the RosesEU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise

A new plan, some divisions of yours retreat back to Athens and hold line there, then you withdraw to a line from stretching from Belgrad to Montenegro, so that when you are ready for a new campaign, you can trap again a lot of Soviets in Greece with you closing the trap with a advance into Thessaloniki from the line.
    Or what would be more ambitious, to march from that line directly to the Black Sea...

But anyway, you cannot hold your current line nor advance, so you have to set up a new defensive line, which you can hold for enough time.

Or what of sending a few divisions to aid the Germans, so that they could create a tactical initiative which the Germans then could possibly successfully exploit?

Achtung PanzerArsenal of DemocracyCities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDarkest Hour
    Deus VultElven Legacy CollectionEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMarch of the EaglesRome Gold
    Semper FiSengokuSword of the StarsSword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler: Cold War

How many frackn' airborne units do the Dorchers have? They can't really be German, but some fobby faux tree-hugging substitute.

One suggestion - build a single line of forts at your original jump off point so that if disaster strikes, you can at least save Italy by rushing whatever remains into that line.

Good luck.

I know that!!!!!!! It's the second time I tell Myth to build more troops and to get a licence to build armor!!!!!!!!

Don't you read the posts !?!

Now, I have been wondering about several things:
    1)How many casualties (from both sides) were there since the beginning of the Indirect Approach?
    2)What is the status of your manpower?
    3) Are you able to attack several Soviet divisions with your air force and then advance? (this is a plan of mine to keep the momentum up)

(God damn it, why do everybody hate me?!?!?!)
    Last edited by The Messenger; 26-04-2010 at 19:03.

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCrusader Kings II
    Darkest HourDeus VultDungeonlandEast India Company CollectionEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III Collection
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneImpireEuropa Universalis III: In NomineIron Cross
    Leviathan: WarshipsThe Kings CrusadeMagickaMajesty II CollectionMarch of the Eagles
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeRome GoldSemper Fi
    SengokuThe Showdown EffectVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae VictisWarlock: Master of the ArcaneWar of the RosesEU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise

I know that!!!!!!! It's the second time I tell Myth to build more troops and to buy a licence to build armor!!!!!!!!

Don't you read the posts !?!
    Why would he use armour on the Balkans?
    Plus as said in the post, which you didn't read, he has no doctrines that would enable enough successful usage of armoured units.

And he has not enough resources to build a lot of infantry, a low IC, not enough manpower and soon to be a lack of officers.

Italy is slowly bleeding dry, victory can be achieved only if the Germans do something.

Victoria 2

Now, I have been wondering about several things:
    1)How many casualties (from both sides) were there since the beginning of the Indirect Approach?
    2)What is the status of your manpower?
    3) Are you able to attack several Soviet divisions with your air force and then advance? (this is a plan of mine to keep the momentum up)

4)(God damn it, why do everybody hate me?!?!?!)
    1/ we dont know precisely, but he has bagged quite a few divisions, and even some ARMORED ones! -the general loss ratio reported seems to be about 1 italian to 2-3 soviet (thats deaths) ..at the start of the offence, and now more like 2 italians for 3 soviet..
    2/ last time reported at about 900, I think that was ½ a year back
    3/..only carrier air being reported used significantly
    4/ (does everybody else ALSO hate you?) -I don't know -Are you a bringer of Bad News?

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Semper FiSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rise of Prussia500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Blog Entries
    Actually, I think Soviet casualties have been much higher. Those numbers are for soldiers killed in the battle. When you surround and destroy a whole division, you don't get the total number of soldiers that were in that division and are now being marched off to POW camps. If he has destroyed 12 or 13 divisions, Soviet casualties ought to be around 70,000 to 80,000, assuming they weren't full strength. Still, Mother Russia has one hell of a lot more bodies to give up than Italy.

4/ (does everybody else ALSO hate you?) -I don't know -Are you a bringer of Bad News?
    No, it's not that. Since my comment of advising Myth to build more troops, everybody (actually just two people) said I was wrong, but somehow I interpreted it has if I am an idiot.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 109 of 161 FirstFirst ... 9 34 59 84 99 107 108 109 110 111 119 134 159 ... LastLast