• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Playing a game as ComChi right now (my first ever!) and I'm doing pretty well, all things considered. I've annexed NatChi, it's 1939, and now the Japanese are at war with me, after grabbing North China and the Guangzhou areas in a negotiated peace. They've got three times as many divisions as I do, and better ones, but hopefully the People's Army will prevail. (Will the unification of China events still fire more or less as usual even though I have taken a decidedly unusual route?)

Atruejedi said:
Any graphics mod will be compatible. CCIP is now included, so don't install CCIP OVER SMEP. Currently working to make Cold War Tech Tree Extension mod 100% compatible (it basically is now, go ahead and try it) and in the future will make it 100% compatible with DAIM (which it apparently is not, currently).
All right, that's cool :cool:

I already installed SKIF and GIP over it and they're working like a charm (though for some reason pictures for two of NatChi's tech teams aren't showing up--Academica Sinica and one other one, I forget which). I usually set the end date for 1946 now since it slows up dramatically after that, so Cold War techs would never be researched anyways.

Playing a game as ComChi right now (my first ever!) and I'm doing pretty well, all things considered. I've annexed NatChi, it's 1939, and now the Japanese are at war with me, after grabbing North China and the Guangzhou areas in a negotiated peace. They've got three times as many divisions as I do, and better ones, but hopefully the People's Army will prevail. (Will the unification of China events still fire more or less as usual even though I have taken a decidedly unusual route?)

Should. If you have issues, contact me and we'll work it out. I honestly did more work tweaking the Nationalist Chinese events than the Communist Chinese events... :eek:o

All right, that's cool :cool:

I already installed SKIF and GIP over it and they're working like a charm (though for some reason pictures for two of NatChi's tech teams aren't showing up--Academica Sinica and one other one, I forget which). I usually set the end date for 1946 now since it slows up dramatically after that, so Cold War techs would never be researched anyways.

I forgot to include pics from CCIP :eek:

I'll fix that in the next release.

Atruejedi said:
Should. If you have issues, contact me and we'll work it out. I honestly did more work tweaking the Nationalist Chinese events than the Communist Chinese events... :eek:o
Well, one thing I've noticed so far is that China seems too weak against the Japanese. Usually, in vanilla, they're utterly crushed by the Japanese by 1939 or 1940, allowing the Japanese to conquer India and do all sorts of other nutty things. In CCIP, the Chinese usually manage to hold the Japanese at the Yellow River, then go on a counteroffensive and win about 1943-1944. In SMEP (so far as I've gone) things seem in the middle though more towards the vanilla side. If you want I can send a PM outlining exactly what I've seen (plus some weirdness in Europe, though that might partially be because of some unusual event choices)

I really like this mod a lot. But is it possible to add in the washington naval treat and anglo-German Naval agreement?

I have no interest in adding events like that which restrict the player. But you can add them in yourself for your own pleasure :)

Well, one thing I've noticed so far is that China seems too weak against the Japanese. Usually, in vanilla, they're utterly crushed by the Japanese by 1939 or 1940, allowing the Japanese to conquer India and do all sorts of other nutty things. In CCIP, the Chinese usually manage to hold the Japanese at the Yellow River, then go on a counteroffensive and win about 1943-1944. In SMEP (so far as I've gone) things seem in the middle though more towards the vanilla side. If you want I can send a PM outlining exactly what I've seen (plus some weirdness in Europe, though that might partially be because of some unusual event choices)

Odd, because SMEP doesn't doesn't alter CCIP's AI or anything like that. China gets WHIPPED in vanilla and does a bit better in SMEP because of crap bonuses I've given them. But yeah, feel free to elaborate on your game. You can even do it here so others can see and chime in if they've had similar experiences.

Last edited:
can i unify scandanavia?

Yes you can, as Denmark, Norway, or Sweden. Or Germany can release Scandinavia via event. SMEP is the inventor of these types of events :)

Just make sure you follow the directions listed in the event. Don't release the nation on your own.

Yes you can, as Denmark, Norway, or Sweden. Or Germany can release Scandinavia via event. SMEP is the inventor of these types of events :)

Just make sure you follow the directions listed in the event. Don't release the nation on your own.

will there be cores on finland, ice land, and greenland? and why cant finland create scandanavia (theyre the most right wing and powerful)

PanzerMan7 said:
will there be cores on finland, ice land, and greenland? and why cant finland create scandanavia (theyre the most right wing and powerful)
Finland is not really part of Scandinavia (the peninsula, yes; the cultural region, no) They wouldn't be interested in uniting all the Scandinavian peoples (since they're not one of them!) You can get cores on Finland if you ally with Germany and beat the Soviets, though (if I'm reading the events right)

Atruejedi said:
Odd, because SMEP doesn't doesn't alter CCIP's AI or anything like that. China gets WHIPPED in vanilla and does a bit better in SMEP because of crap bonuses I've given them. But yeah, feel free to elaborate on your game. You can even do it here so others can see and chime in if they've had similar experiences.
All right. I'll play a few more hands-off games first so I can tell if what's going on is more chance, CHI being weak, or me mucking everything up.

Finland is not really part of Scandinavia (the peninsula, yes; the cultural region, no) They wouldn't be interested in uniting all the Scandinavian peoples (since they're not one of them!) You can get cores on Finland if you ally with Germany and beat the Soviets, though (if I'm reading the events right)

Yep. My reasoning exactly. Region and culture are different.

All right. I'll play a few more hands-off games first so I can tell if what's going on is more chance, CHI being weak, or me mucking everything up.

Well, China IS weak... and they should be, but I don't want Japan rolling them everytime. If you play in 1936 it's pretty open. I've seen China win versus Japan :eek:

Finland is not really part of Scandinavia (the peninsula, yes; the cultural region, no).
Incorrect. Finland is not part of the geographical region of Scandinavia (the terms 'Fennoscandia' and 'Norden' exists for a reason). They are, however, connected unusually much to the region culturally speaking, for a state whose main languages is not the language spoken in Scandinavia proper. The entire concept of 'Norden', 'Finlands sak är vår', and so on and so forth. Still, not properly Scandinavian, culturally speaking, either.

LordInsane said:
Incorrect. Finland is not part of the geographical region of Scandinavia (the terms 'Fennoscandia' and 'Norden' exists for a reason).
Point granted, but I've usually seen the term used in such a way as to include Finland, as well (geographically speaking, I mean). Still, as you say it doesn't change that Finland is not strictly speaking Scandinavian and certainly never had pan-Scandinavian ideals that would lead to it undertaking such a union.

SMEP is working to achieve total compatibility with DAIM and the Cold War Tech Tree Extension Project.

What about compatibility with CORE?

can't believe you're still banging away on SMEP. My favorite SMEP memory was probably those early event sequences that divied out the med + balkan region in a cleaner way. I think paradox eventually put it into their own patches. SMEP + DAIM + CCIP + vanilla + some simple graphics mods is still the most refined HOI2 experience.

can't believe you're still banging away on SMEP. My favorite SMEP memory was probably those early event sequences that divied out the med + balkan region in a cleaner way. I think paradox eventually put it into their own patches. SMEP + DAIM + CCIP + vanilla + some simple graphics mods is still the most refined HOI2 experience.

Haha! Yes! Paradox lifted a number of my events without my permission and put them in a patch a couple of years ago! Flattering but insulting at the same time... but hey, they claimed they thought they asked me and I would have given them permission anyway. Just wish I would have gotten a mention somewhere :(

And you're right, SMEP's very initial purpose was to clean up the partitions of Yugoslavia and Greece. I've come a long way since then. After playing HOI3... and being disappointed with it so far (but seeing massive potential), I'll continue to support SMEP for HOI2. I hope you try the new version and enjoy it! Thank you for your kind words :D

- Jamison

What about compatibility with CORE?

Incompatible both ideologically and physically. Sorry. CORE adds way too many events to which SMEP is opposed ("flavor events", major basic gameplay changes like tech trees, resource layout, etc.).

Incompatible both ideologically and physically. Sorry. CORE adds way too many events to which SMEP is opposed ("flavor events", major basic gameplay changes like tech trees, resource layout, etc.).

Just a question then: in which extent the Arma patch will include the SMEP?