• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

wcwraymond

Second Lieutenant
59 Badges
Mar 15, 2009
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Semper Fi
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Prison Architect
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Cities: Skylines
I just played the game and think...umm....I rather continue to wait for HOI3.

The idea of the game is good but the Naval Battle engine sucks. I have played Empire Total War and comparatively EIC has a lot to improve:

For example, only 5 ships at a time? Well ok, even if i dont demand 20, I think a little more is ok.

Also, The ships has no AI in forming a line....they just sail themselves. When my Schooners tried to forms a line, 5 of them has 3 collision and each collison cost 25% loss of hull points ( 50 out of 200 =.= ) And the leader ship just sail away himself, leaving all those collision ships which were clamping together.

At strategic level, it goes boring every soon....You just keep sailing to and fro with India and Europe. Printing money and fight the sucking naval battle. Since all nations are equal at the start no variation besides the random starting condition and price. The generic ports' profit is relatively too low for any profits or investment...

Without America will make the game very limited. Since all trading are eastbound, it will soon turn out to be a fight for Cape Town.

I have to enter the port for every management. For me the loading time is quite annoying.....really......................This only trains me to manage my steps in clicking to minimize the number of times of enetering ports. Suggestion: I dont demand the Port View anymore...since it is just aussie aussie...aussie for any ports, just a few templates for all ports of the world. Well it will be different if I can put the components in like Simcity or Cities XL...but if it makes no diffeence in seeing port view or not, why not GUI?

I never tried the Empire, Sweden and Denmark, but I guess they will have a harsh time when fighting with England.

I will suggest: Plz modify the naval battle engine according to ETW. Also, different countries should have some sort of variations, advantages and disadvantages.

How do you people think? I really want to hear those who support the game and tell me I am wrong. I really want to be stuck to this game but I really can't. thx.

Agreed.
Age of Empires, Rise of Nations, Total War Series, all games featuring different factions have unique units, tech & building veriations.

At least I can think of these features and impressions:

Dutch : stock market, famous cargo ship development
British : colonies, strong navy
Spain : Latin America,
Germany: backward in colony development but disciplined soldiers.
Sweden : strong northern country

They all add a lot of features into the game to make them different and unique.

At least I can think of these features and impressions:

Dutch : stock market, famous cargo ship development
British : colonies, strong navy
Spain : Latin America,
Germany: backward in colony development but disciplined soldiers.
Sweden : strong northern country

They all add a lot of features into the game to make them different and unique.
These would be nice features to add, IMO. In addition:

Spain: Strong Navy, Rich (from Latin American gold)
Sweden: Shortage of manpower

These would be nice features to add, IMO. In addition:

Spain: Strong Navy, Rich (from Latin American gold)
Sweden: Shortage of manpower

May be Spain should be start with strong navy at first but have shrinking maritime tech development ( may be implemented with weakening tech tree as time goes by, or lower spanish admiral ability compared to british so that we can feel that britain has greater potential to dominate sea and better battle ability but spain is still strong at first)

Perhaps the naval doctrine would be the distinguishing factor between British and Spanish navies? For instance, Britain employed smaller, worse-armed, more-manoeuvrable and faster ships, whereas Spain preferred the larger, better-armed, less-manoeuvrable and slower ships.

Perhaps the naval doctrine would be the distinguishing factor between British and Spanish navies? For instance, Britain employed smaller, worse-armed, more-manoeuvrable and faster ships, whereas Spain preferred the larger, better-armed, less-manoeuvrable and slower ships.

Possible.
But later on we know that Britain build some very large ship as well.
So I suggest Admiral ability difference: British ones make some good decisions.
Let Britain have Admiral School in port, shall we? Or just admiral stat bonus with no additional building in port is also OK.

I wonder if we could actually get these modded in now? I haven't played about with the various files yet, as I've still been learning the game, but I wonder whether we are capable of making a mod to incorporate these ideas currently? I'll probably have a look after a few days if I remember.

I wonder if we could actually get these modded in now? I haven't played about with the various files yet, as I've still been learning the game, but I wonder whether we are capable of making a mod to incorporate these ideas currently? I'll probably have a look after a few days if I remember.

Variations between factions and new units and buildings are all quite difficult to add into the existing game....as it does not has a "foundation of faction variation" now. The game is not yet designed to have such variations. A big game change by designers and developers may be required.

I agree with many of these points, but for God's sake don't make changes based on ETW's naval engine. After playing EIC's naval combat I can't go back. I would definitely change the AI to improve collision avoidance, and I would also like to have the weather gauge more often. Other than that though, I'd say it's fine. I play on simulation and it's great.

I like the current speed of the game once maneuvering and trading cannon balls but the thing I don't like are how long it takes to catch up a ship or to flee from battle. A button to speed up those phase would be great.
It would be nice also to separate merchant skills/ navigation skills/ and combat skills and have appropriate way to earn exp for those skills at the moment the only way is to fight.
That is kinda weird for a merchant to learn how to sell stuff for more or buy for less when he fights other ships :)

Some great Ideas but remember we aren't controlling a Navy. We running a company. So having something like an Admiralty school wouldn't help us

When I play I usually have some fleets full of experience that are affected just to fight other company or pirates, the rest of my fleets merchants that never see a fight or just flee and they are all rookie with 0 or 1 star until they die.
So separating combat and merchant skills would help I think and that may also be a way to tweak or add more skill since at the moment a combat fleet commander can get their 10 skill slots filled way too fast.

Last edited:
Some great Ideas but remember we aren't controlling a Navy. We running a company. So having something like an Admiralty school wouldn't help us

That's arguable actually. The EIC's were very close to being a country operating from another country. Take the British EIC, it had wars in India against the French and tossed them out. After that it gradually got control over more and more of the land, and towards the middle of the 18th century they were the British Crown's proxy in India.

Of course they did have some issues, like an inability to control the areas properly and hence they experienced a famine or two and eventually lost control over much of their Sepoy army. This made the Crown step in and take control over India directly.

But the point remains, the EIC's are pretty much semi-independent countries with a base in their home country. So having some advantages/disadvantages from their motherland's doctrines could make the gameplay more varied, and it's completely within the bounds of reason I believe.

some good some bad

I bought this game as an impulse buy when preordering HOI3. I had seen a couple of screens and like the idea. I think the game has potential to be good fun, with some solid tweaking to make the trading side of it intuitive and challenging, this is achievable I think.

The 3D naval battles are a complete loss, they are no comparison to ETW so if your playing naval battles you will be playing ETW - that said they are game limiting and I think could become a annoyance - Its unlikely, but they should dump them from the game. Or make them a special button you might play for a break from the strategy.

The naval battles should be handled in a similar way to HOI2 battles or like a game of battleship: some nice 2d representations of the fleets and all the ships within, stats of the ships, with an active screen showing hits and damage with events unfolding based on your commander which will influence the damage and hits. Basically make it a report style thing you could show icons of the various ships down each side representing their damage ie one could be on fire, one could be sinking. This way would allow larger fleet conflicts and be more in harmony with the rest of the game. As it stands the 3d battles are well below par, so far that IMO they cant be rescued by patchwork, and detract from what is at heart a good game.

IMO they could rescue the game by making them a novelty relief, but reworking the naval battles into a 2d battle screen ship list. And potentially develop port battles the same, so you have some influence over the inputs and can see what factors are effecting the outcome of the battles, be it weather or superior commanders, or some random hit, basically they should look at how HOI2 tacles battles and implement that - with some nice explosion and fire effects on the ship bitmaps.

This game needs to go 1 way or the other and given what it would take to make it on par with ETW, they need to go the other back to 2D and do it real quick - because its a bit of mess atm.

Edit: or another idea would be to have a 3d table top map - like a kings strategic map - you could move 3d sprites of the various ships around the table top to best position them for firing. You could still have some nice 3d ship renders but make the whole thing static and strategic and turn based, similar to Axis and Allies but on a tactical map scale, i move this ship here it fires on that ship, it takes some hits, next turn.

Last edited:
The 3D naval battles are a complete loss, they are no comparison to ETW so if your playing naval battles you will be playing ETW - that said they are game limiting and I think could become a annoyance - Its unlikely, but they should dump them from the game.

Could you be more specific? What is it about the naval combat that is so inferior to ETW's? Personally, I find it superior to ETW's, and by a long shot.