• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
CD key to patch Are you serious?

Hi there. Requiring the cd key to update the game is completely excessive. Please stop. Is it a win7 RC1 thing or is it intentional??

Also, somewhat off topic, why do you need my email address? and why every time the same one.

Get a Grip!

Gamersgate Purchaser

This day three trying to get EIC to run.

I do not have Vista. (It is recommended, not required)

I have enough space on computer and am compliant with Direct X requirements.

My Version is 1.0.0.8486

I have downloaded the game twice and have installed the patches.

The introductory scenes play, the screen goes blank and then I get an error message from windows. The specific item is Storm3dv2.dll

Any hints to save this purchase?

Thanks. :confused:

This day three trying to get EIC to run.

I do not have Vista. (It is recommended, not required)

I have enough space on computer and am compliant with Direct X requirements.

My Version is 1.0.0.8486

I have downloaded the game twice and have installed the patches.

The introductory scenes play, the screen goes blank and then I get an error message from windows. The specific item is Storm3dv2.dll

Any hints to save this purchase?

Thanks. :confused:

It seems you have the patch1 but not patch2 installed. Try re-installing the patch2. Here's instructions on how to do it manually:

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=417908

Hi macman,
Can you provide information about your system (OS, graphics card, etc.)
Please check the Troubleshooting-thread under Tech Support first, maybe it will help you.
You can also try these command-line parameters, if there's a compatibility problem with your graphics card:

Try to start the game with these parameters: -ps_2_0 or -ps_2_a or -ps_2_b (start the game from command line or create a shortcut to the eastindia.exe and add one of these to the end ( eastindia.exe -ps_2_0 ). This forces the game to start with pixel shader version 2.

Hopefully it helps. You can also try to update your graphics card drivers

There have been some issues with installing the patch for some of you. Here are the instructions for installing the patch:

Method 1 - from ingame menu:
1. Goto game mainmenu
2. Click "Options"
3. Click "Check for updates"
4a. If nothing happens, there is no patch available.
4b. If a popup opens, then there is a patch available. Follow the onscreen instructions and remember to close the game before installing the patch.

Method 2 - manual installation:

Note - this is not for Steam & Impulse users! See troubleshooting for more info.
1. Open up your web browser
2. Type this address "http://patches.gamersgate.com/EIC_patch_1.zip" and hit go.
3. Once downloaded, extract the contents of the zip package (to your desktop for example), there should be 3 files (eic_patch1.exe , eic_patch1-1a.bin , patch_notes.txt)
4. Run (doubleclick) "eic_patch1-exe"
5. You should see a setup window with "Welcome to East India Company Patch 1 Setup Wizard"
6. Click "Next" to continue
7. Select "I accept the agreement" and click "Next" to continue
8. Enter THE SAME email address that you used in the original game installation and the product key you got with the game.
9. The game will install a few files (green progress bar) after that you should see a screen which states that the setup has finished installing the patch.
10. Click finish to exit Setup
11. Run the game normally and enjoy!

Troubleshooting:
-DO NOT TRY RUN the files INSIDE the Zip-package, but EXTRACT them first. This prevents the installation to work properly in most cases.
-On the first run after installation the game automatically checks for updates once it loads the main menu. If there is a patch available, follow the onscreen instructions and istall the patch.
-Steam users SHOULD NOT patch the game manually with instructions above, but use the patching feature in Steam instead.
-Impulse users SHOULD NOT patch the game manually with instructions above, but use the patching feature in Impulse instead.
-If you're having troube in "Product Activation" screen, goto: http://www.stardock.com/support/ (The game uses Stardock Goo DRM, they will help you out if you have any trouble)
-If you receive any errors related to Activation etc. on game launch, goto: http://www.stardock.com/support/ (The game uses Stardock Goo DRM, they will help you out if you have any trouble)
-If you have any trouble with the patch, make sure that the game is not running in background and you have none of the files from the game installation directory opened and rerun the installer "eic-patch1.exe".
After I installed the game I was surprised to see the install did not create a desktop shortcut (I had to do it manually). No biggie. Then, when I clicked in-game to check for updates, nothing happened. See method 1 above. Then, checking the PI Forums, I find that there is indeed a patch. So, I had to use method 2 above. When I ran the patch install, it asked for the product code key, which was cool. It ran, and apparently was successful. I say apparently because I haven't found anywhere "in" the game that tells me which version I'm running. Can someone please tell me how I can "see" which version I currently have. Many thanks.

Also, why no desktop shortcut during install? That seems strange to me. But perhaps, no stranger than not having the install place anything in the registry either. I had to set up the registry/directory using instructions found at the PI Forum. What gives?

I should add the game runs just fine, after the patch. Now I must go and manually install patch 3. Cheers.

hi randol,
Sorry to hear that you cannot install the patch. I think there has been a problem creating the registry-key for EIC when you have installed the game. So here is a way to check if the key exist and if it doesn't, a way to create the key (may take a while to do, sorry..):

1. go to your start-menu and select "run" (or something similar if your windows is not in english)

2. write "regedit" (without the quotes) and press "ok" or enter

3. select HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SOFTWARE

4. if there is not a folder called "Paradox Interactive", create it by right-clicking on SOFTWARE and selecting "new" -> "key". Name it Paradox Interactive

5. Now create a new key by right clicking on Paradox Interactive and name that key East India Company

6. So now you're in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SOFTWARE -> Paradox Interactive -> East India Company

7. Right click on East India Company and select "new" -> "string value"
Name that value "directory" (without the quotes)

8. right click on "directory" and select "modify". Now type the EIC-installation folder to the value data. For example:
"C:\Program Files\Paradox Interactive\East India Company" (again, without the quotes)

After that the patch should install fine.
Just wanted to say THANK YOU. Your method worked quite well. But why was nothing created in the registry during install and why didn't the install add a shortcut to my desktop? Don't understand that? Thanks again! Much appreciated.

Patch 2 introduces the feature to see what version you are running. Patch 3 changes behaviour of "check for updates" button. About shortcut, I have one and about registry, GamersGate version I purchased sets it correctly.

How to register the game when bought on Steam?

I want to register my copy of East India Company but Steam doesnt (want to) give me a cd-key. Is there any chance there will be done something about this by Paradox or Nitro Games?

Last edited by Basvv85; 10-08-2009 at 22:47.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Steam - Update Status

Why doesnt Steam show my update status and the Developer ? When the update is clicked it only shows Steam updates. Also I would have thought the Developer would push Steam for a fix so it shows their name...they are proud of it arent they ???

I should add the game is updating automatically, it just doesnt show its status eg 1.05.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

The above posts didnt get a response so I thought I would bring them to attention here.

1. Try that: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=393251

Works for EU3 so may work for EIC. And if it doesn't, contact Steam support.

2. You should be able to see version in game's main menu in the top right corner. It was introduced in 2nd patch so if it isn't there, you most likely have an out of date game.

How to register the game when bought on Steam? AND Steam - Update Status

Thanks for the info delra, but the screen you referred to is identical to mine but without the "View CD Key" option. The developer is also not on the game line in steam. The game is updating, and this is visible by the version in game's main menu in the top right corner, as you said.

It would be more convenient if it showed the update status in steam before opening the game. Obviously I would like to register the game with Paradox and get a shiny badge, which I can not do without a CD key.

Any more help you can give would be appreciated. Thanks.

:)

Sometimes it's "Register your game" or something like this. I remember it's this way for Terran Conflict for example. In general due to stuff like this I'm not a big fan of Steam at alll.

STEAMing pile of....

In response to my questions:

I want to register my copy of East India Company but Steam does not provide a cd-key.

Why doesnt Steam show my update status and the Developer ? When the update is clicked it only shows Steam updates. Also I would have thought the Developer would push Steam for a fix so it shows their name...they are proud of it arent they ???

I should add the game is updating automatically, it just doesnt show its status eg 1.05.

Steam Help replied :

Thank you for contacting Steam Support.

This game does not utilize a CD Key when purchased via Steam.

This game was developed by Nitro Games

So...Where the hell is my shiny button for registering with Paradox and why cant I get an update status from Steam ? Nitro, why arent you displaying yourselfs as the developer ? If I developed a game I would insist Steam display my Company name. Is there a work around for people who want to register their game and who were stupid enough to buy it from Steam??

:mad:

In reply to the steam distribution. Unlike GG steam ( across a lot of games) can take 1-2 weeks to actually update their clients with latest patches, sometimes much longer 5 weeks for x3 1.4

So if a patch is available here give it up to a month to become available on steam, its laziness on their part and even GG have some games they sell that dont have up to date patches ala space colony for example

Steam and CD KEY

I was previously a Paradox member, so I didnt need a CD Key to write questions in the forum. But what about those who bought from steam and would like to be members of this forum and register their game ?

As of this date, Steam have still not provided a CD Key, or the Update Satus for the game, or who the developer is. Things that other games, such as Empire Total War have.

Why ?

I was previously a Paradox member, so I didnt need a CD Key to write questions in the forum. But what about those who bought from steam and would like to be members of this forum and register their game ?

As of this date, Steam have still not provided a CD Key, or the Update Satus for the game, or who the developer is. Things that other games, such as Empire Total War have.

Why ?

Empire's completely integrated with the Steam client using Valve's Steamworks software---basically, the Creative Assembly have the tools to make Empire play nice with Steam (and they're also exclusive to Steam---can't get it on Impulse or GamersGate.)

Steam doesn't play quite as nicely with Paradox games (although Paradox internal-developed games are less of an issue, due in part to the fact that at least one and possibly more of Valve's people are regulars on the forums here and know what we go through.)

Kim, you mentioned that "if you see the version number in the top right of the screen, you have the 2nd patch"...my EIC game tells me it's "v1.06" on the main splash screen. Is that current or does Steam need to be clued in to the fact that there's a later version than that?

Game runs great, but I just disabled 3D ports entirely so I could get the "flash straight to the city" speed I've long come to expect from the trade-sim genre. EIC's decent...not great, but not bad. I'd say its 66 Metascore is about right for a "strictly genre fans only" type of game like this one.

Kim, you mentioned that "if you see the version number in the top right of the screen, you have the 2nd patch"...my EIC game tells me it's "v1.06" on the main splash screen. Is that current or does Steam need to be clued in to the fact that there's a later version than that?

Thanks for the info.

I am not Kim but if I may answer that for you ? The latest version is v1.06 which was provided by the 3rd patch. The ability to see the version number arrived with the 2nd patch. Steam does not provide the update status of the game, but it does provide the update automatically for the game. When you ask for the status of the game it provides the update staus of steam itself.

Last edited:
I have installed & registed EIC, I then downloaded the latest patch and tried to install. However, the installer required me to put my CD key in again, which I did, but it came up with a popup reading 'There was a problem with product activation:

Serial Number already registered'

Which it is, I used it to register the actual game.

Any idea what is wrong?