• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(137907)

Lead Designer -Nitro Games
Mar 21, 2009
www.nitrogames.com
There have been some issues with installing the patch for some of you. Here are the instructions for installing the patch:

Method 1 - from ingame menu:
1. Goto game mainmenu
2. Click "Options"
3. Click "Check for updates"
4a. If nothing happens, there is no patch available.
4b. If a popup opens, then there is a patch available. Follow the onscreen instructions and remember to close the game before installing the patch.

Method 2 - manual installation:

Note - this is not for Steam & Impulse users! See troubleshooting for more info.
1. Open up your web browser
2. Type this address "http://patches.gamersgate.com/EIC_patch_1.zip" and hit go.
3. Once downloaded, extract the contents of the zip package (to your desktop for example), there should be 3 files (eic_patch1.exe , eic_patch1-1a.bin , patch_notes.txt)
4. Run (doubleclick) "eic_patch1-exe"
5. You should see a setup window with "Welcome to East India Company Patch 1 Setup Wizard"
6. Click "Next" to continue
7. Select "I accept the agreement" and click "Next" to continue
8. Enter THE SAME email address that you used in the original game installation and the product key you got with the game.
9. The game will install a few files (green progress bar) after that you should see a screen which states that the setup has finished installing the patch.
10. Click finish to exit Setup
11. Run the game normally and enjoy!

Troubleshooting:
-DO NOT TRY RUN the files INSIDE the Zip-package, but EXTRACT them first. This prevents the installation to work properly in most cases.
-On the first run after installation the game automatically checks for updates once it loads the main menu. If there is a patch available, follow the onscreen instructions and istall the patch.
-Steam users SHOULD NOT patch the game manually with instructions above, but use the patching feature in Steam instead.
-Impulse users SHOULD NOT patch the game manually with instructions above, but use the patching feature in Impulse instead.
-If you're having troube in "Product Activation" screen, goto: http://www.stardock.com/support/ (The game uses Stardock Goo DRM, they will help you out if you have any trouble)
-If you receive any errors related to Activation etc. on game launch, goto: http://www.stardock.com/support/ (The game uses Stardock Goo DRM, they will help you out if you have any trouble)
-If you have any trouble with the patch, make sure that the game is not running in background and you have none of the files from the game installation directory opened and rerun the installer "eic-patch1.exe".

Uhh...Kim? There IS no "Check for Updates" button in the Options menu.

I point this out because the Steam version of the game does not have a patch available at all. OR a manual...

Last edited:
This goes hand in hand with the Vista 64 Closed Application Issue.

If you can NOT release a game that loads after install and updates without editing game files and manually downloading patches without links on your webpage do NOT release the game!

My game worked flawlessly, even without the patch.:)

Likewise, and the patch fixed my biggest annoyance with the game. The loading of the 3D ports :)

hmm... I can't install patch!

Well, I am korean user. So I desperately need this patch.. BUT

I double-clicked "eic_patch1.exe" and it says "East India Company was not found on your computer."

No! It is on my computer. What's going on?

hi randol,
Sorry to hear that you cannot install the patch. I think there has been a problem creating the registry-key for EIC when you have installed the game. So here is a way to check if the key exist and if it doesn't, a way to create the key (may take a while to do, sorry..):

1. go to your start-menu and select "run" (or something similar if your windows is not in english)

2. write "regedit" (without the quotes) and press "ok" or enter

3. select HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SOFTWARE

4. if there is not a folder called "Paradox Interactive", create it by right-clicking on SOFTWARE and selecting "new" -> "key". Name it Paradox Interactive

5. Now create a new key by right clicking on Paradox Interactive and name that key East India Company

6. So now you're in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SOFTWARE -> Paradox Interactive -> East India Company

7. Right click on East India Company and select "new" -> "string value"
Name that value "directory" (without the quotes)

8. right click on "directory" and select "modify". Now type the EIC-installation folder to the value data. For example:
"C:\Program Files\Paradox Interactive\East India Company" (again, without the quotes)

After that the patch should install fine.

Wow

that's gr8 some of us that can reconfigure a frikking p.c. can somehow get this to work... is there any way a simpleton gamer can play? it's been baught for going on 4 days now. just magically unavailable. much like the $40 i am now sorelly missing. i will no longer post. i have been typing my ass off everywhere and have read countless words on the matter. i guess i was foollish to buy anything from any1... anyhew.... i wud at least like to know how many more months i will have to sit on this nonexisting product b4 i can even see that i own it.
anything at all will help.... my final thanx to whomever i can get to answer.

that's gr8 some of us that can reconfigure a frikking p.c. can somehow get this to work... is there any way a simpleton gamer can play? it's been baught for going on 4 days now. just magically unavailable. much like the $40 i am now sorelly missing. i will no longer post. i have been typing my ass off everywhere and have read countless words on the matter. i guess i was foollish to buy anything from any1... anyhew.... i wud at least like to know how many more months i will have to sit on this nonexisting product b4 i can even see that i own it.
anything at all will help.... my final thanx to whomever i can get to answer.

You bought the game from Steam, right?
If you're getting "game unavailable" from Steam when trying to launch the game, then it's likely a Steam issue and you should contact Steam support.

Here's a link: https://support.steampowered.com/

I've had similar issues with games occasionally not starting in Steam and therefore I prefer not to use Steam anymore.

Hi

Games purchased from either Steam or Impulse must be updated by using their own update systems.

Thanks,
Janne

That's fine except that, as of this moment, Impulse still has not provided any update. I'm curious, what is the official release version? The version I originally downloaded from Impulse was 1.01. Perhaps they included the patched version as their first download?

That's fine except that, as of this moment, Impulse still has not provided any update. I'm curious, what is the official release version? The version I originally downloaded from Impulse was 1.01. Perhaps they included the patched version as their first download?

Goto the game folder and search for "eastindia.exe" - move your mouse over the file and if it says "version: 1.0.0.8398" then you have the patched version.

kim,

of course you'll patch/adjust[battle speed]/tweak the retail game first, but do think you'll get around to releasing an updated/patched demo for those of us still debating whether to buy? i mean, do i feed the kids or will i buy the game because the screen load times are gone, sea battles are as good as Sid's Pirates, trading tedium is now enhanced in some way, and everyone on the forum is saying yipee! great game?

thanks for any insight into this...

Goto the game folder and search for "eastindia.exe" - move your mouse over the file and if it says "version: 1.0.0.8398" then you have the patched version.

Interesting. My file version is 1.0.0.8402.

kim,

of course you'll patch/adjust[battle speed]/tweak the retail game first, but do think you'll get around to releasing an updated/patched demo for those of us still debating whether to buy? i mean, do i feed the kids or will i buy the game because the screen load times are gone, sea battles are as good as Sid's Pirates, trading tedium is now enhanced in some way, and everyone on the forum is saying yipee! great game?

thanks for any insight into this...

Well feeding the kids is a priority above everything else, right? :)

I really cannot say anything on updated demo.

EIC seems to divide opinions very strongly. Have you read the reviews? James Pinnell from Gamers Limit nailed it down quite well, I think.

http://gamerlimit.com/2009/07/gamer-limit-review-east-india-company/

And in those comments too, someone hates and someone loves.

What separates EIC from its rivals is the focus on the typically ignored trading aspect of play. It’s capitalism at its vintage best, in where there are expensive risks, there are untold fortunes to be had. Thus, combat is accessible, but its usually discouraged unless there is something to be gained from it.