• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.

edhunter76

Sergeant
61 Badges
Jul 1, 2009
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Semper Fi
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Darkest Hour
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Prison Architect: Psych Ward
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44 Deluxe Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Steel Division: Normand 44 - Second Wave
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44 -  Back to Hell
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Prison Architect
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
Just back from a great two week holiday from Bulgaria. Loved the country! In HoI3 I will be going there again, with my army!

Anyway, I have played HoI2 a lot, but never really thought about the advantages of annexation versus puppet state. I have always annexed the countries I've attacked and never even considered about making a puppet state. So, is there any reason why I should prefer puppet state over annexation and what are the main differences?

Also, check this out http://bitterglory.com/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

Could this be a real competitor to HoI? Any thoughts?

That game seems to be interesting. I especially like the screenshot where swedish santas and finnish reindeers are moving in on each other!! What a game that could become! I wonder if these are examples of special units, perhaps even unique to every country... Seriously though, another GSG is non the less nice. It doesn´t look to hot but if it plays well it would be nice. Competition is always good for the customers. We´ll see how it all plays out.

Puppeting is nice if you don't want to deal with partisans, but don't really care about the IC that you'd gain. I usually puppeted as the Soviets (in HoI2) after destroying the Germans. The Russians have so much IC by 1944 that I create a puppet Germany, offer them pretty much the whole of the Balkans (this takes ages and is really annoying) and forget about them. They go to war when I feel like it and I let them deal with the partisans (if there are any; I haven't checked if the puppet get partisans in non-core territory).

In HoI3 puppeting is harder, as you can only make puppets from territories you own, meaning that you have annex them first, meaning that there cannot be Government in Exile from that country.

In HoI2 there whas an advantage in creating puppets. First of all the puppet has its full IC, not only 1/5, secondly the puppet gives you most of its ressources, and this way you gain more of them, thirdly no need to worrie about partisants. The only disadvantages is that the puppet has weaker technology then you, but it can upgreade quickly via blue prints, and you dont have direct control over what the AI spends IC on.

In HoI2 there whas an advantage in creating puppets. First of all the puppet has its full IC, not only 1/5, secondly the puppet gives you most of its ressources, and this way you gain more of them, thirdly no need to worrie about partisants. The only disadvantages is that the puppet has weaker technology then you, but it can upgreade quickly via blue prints, and you dont have direct control over what the AI spends IC on.

Technology is not real problem if you annexed the nation first, as they get most of your technologies (only secret techs aren't given, IIRC).

Annexing all the invaded countries leads to bigger need of troops because of a partisan activity and the need of producing more is higher. Also, generally speaking gaining more IC is obviously something I'm always looking for.

Does anyone know if ther is a change coming for Hoi 3 in regards to the creation of puppets?
In Hoi 2 it was possible to create puppets out of occupied in stead of annexed territories, which makes sence.
I am very much missing this option in Hoi 3. Even Mods that were created by enthousiasts do not come close to the realism puppet nations had in Hoi 2 (ministers and such).

Does anyone know if ther is a change coming for Hoi 3 in regards to the creation of puppets?
In Hoi 2 it was possible to create puppets out of occupied in stead of annexed territories, which makes sence.
I am very much missing this option in Hoi 3. Even Mods that were created by enthousiasts do not come close to the realism puppet nations had in Hoi 2 (ministers and such).

A puppet in occupied territory is a Collaboration Government. It is in the game, only not in the way you are looking for it.

Indeed, in the Hoi2 game Germany could release Flanders ans a puppet state which expanded over a part of France, Belgium and The Netherlands. This release became a state with head of state, ministers, own military etc. Now (with a mod) only Belgium can release Flanders before German Invasion and as a consequence Flanders is much smaller. I wonder why the builders of the game did not include the old options from Hoi 2 into Hoi 3....

Indeed, in the Hoi2 game Germany could release Flanders ans a puppet state which expanded over a part of France, Belgium and The Netherlands. This release became a state with head of state, ministers, own military etc. Now (with a mod) only Belgium can release Flanders before German Invasion and as a consequence Flanders is much smaller. I wonder why the builders of the game did not include the old options from Hoi 2 into Hoi 3....

Because in the new engine, every single nation decreases performance, even if it doesn't actually exist. Or at least that's the official statement, anyway.

In the ICE mod, when you defeat a country they try to go into exile but you get three options:

Occupy (in which case you get to set the occupation policy).

Puppet (the government is under you thumb and you will not suffer partisan problems but you get a national dissent hit).

Annex (the land is yours but the people hate you and you get a larger national dissent hit).

In most cases, annexing is unrealistic. People need to believe they have some level of self determination or they will fight against their oppressors. I think occupation, with policy choices, is the most reasonable option during the course of the war.

Anyway, I have played HoI2 a lot, but never really thought about the advantages of annexation versus puppet state. I have always annexed the countries I've attacked and never even considered about making a puppet state. So, is there any reason why I should prefer puppet state over annexation and what are the main differences?

The choice and consequences is a bit less clear cut than it was in HOI2. For a start most countries in a faction will go Govt in Exile and as Slan says you then make your choice using occupation policy (at one end few resources, no IC, decent leadership, low partisans at the other a lot of IC and a lot of partisans), but some will surrender outright. If they've still got a decent army left then a puppet is useful (they come over to you), equally it spares you having to worry too much about leaving a garisson. In theory you get some regular resources but in practice not a lot. Outright annexation nets you leadership and IC but also a permanent (in the game frame) problem with dissent.

In the main I've had reasonable experience with then setting objectives (usually I'm content they stay at home and properly garisson ports etc) and in my current game (as USSR) my now loyal Finns wandered off, as asked, to deal with the war in Central Asia and the Bulgarians are proving sort of useful in taking out an axis Yugoslavia. Generally though don't expect too much from your new allies and you won't be too disappointed. But at worst puppets at least mean you don't gradually wear down your combat army with masses of garissons.

Just a note that after puppeting the puppeted nation doesn't appear to move its units, unless they have current orders, until you save, resign and reload.

Last edited:
government-in-exile in hoi3??

Thread-necroing much? Anyway, yes, Government in Exile was one of the main features of Hearts of Iron 3.

In HoI3 puppeting is harder, as you can only make puppets from territories you own, meaning that you have annex them first, meaning that there cannot be Government in Exile from that country.

Not in For the Motherland, there you can puppet with wargoal even if the country would normally go into GiE.

From my perspective I think annexation is in game almost always wrong move.

Annexation is extreme state of occupation,thus rebellion is high.

Virtually, by annexation player is enforcing some occupied nation to became part of his nation.....

Occupation is much better, its also more flexible because you can,by changing occupation policy, squeeze occupied land as you like(more squeezing,more unrest of course).

And puppet is excellent way to,free resources and free loyal troops.

I think annexation is worst thing to do in any circumstance,except if it is a historical mechanism of getting back core (national) provinces(Anschluss of Austria and Czech as most notable example)

Last edited:
But realistically you can't really keep up occupation indefinitely. There must come a point where you decide whether you allow an independent government to rule directly (ie. a puppet) or to take control yourself (ie. annexation). Occupation is always a temporary measure.

But realistically you can't really keep up occupation indefinitely. There must come a point where you decide whether you allow an independent government to rule directly (ie. a puppet) or to take control yourself (ie. annexation). Occupation is always a temporary measure.

Of course.
But few years is not to much.

If one have proper occupation troops ,its quiet.

That is why I (GER) have many(100 and more) small (Gar x1+ MP x1,and maybe Militia x1+ MP x1) divisions like a net over occupied Europe and squeeze it decently to extract anything out of them.I am insensitive master:closedeyes:.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.