• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Cat Lord

Retired Moderator
68 Badges
May 13, 2002
www.revolutionundersiege.com
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Surviving Mars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Magicka
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
I have been playing the open beta for a few hours now, and it seems a nice game. I have just played (and lose badly :red: ) a generated battle, and started the main grand campaign.

So far, so good, I am wondering what the differences would be (multiplay apart) between the open beta and the final version.

Things I have not yet truly tested:
- The military AI (apart of a botched battle, but I was against the wind :red: )
- The diplomatic AI

Things I would have like to have (or don't know how it work):
- An easier way to figure out what export items are best to export where. For the moment it seems the logic is: The more expensive to export, and the further away, the biggest the profit.

Things I would like to see improved:
- A quicker transition between port/strategic map. I must spend a lot of time switching between the two
- A message when a fleet reach its final destination !!! It does not pause the game, not does it do any sound, nor does it gives you a message. I can see myself forgetting a fleet that will rot away in port unhappily as soon as I got more things to look after. :(

Thanks for letting us try the game in an open beta. :)

Cat

Also feedback..

1: Would also like to know the difference from the final version, as it seems completely stable, and without any mayor bugs.

2: Will there be a improvement of the building/naval AI? The AI seems to, even with a lot of money, unvilling to upgrade and build larger ships.. :( Also it seems unvilling to create larger stacks, the biggest one I have spotted was with 3 small ships..

3: Diplomatic AI: Is it just me or will the AI gangbang you as soon as you have grown a little bit strong?

4: Are there, and in that case what are they, differences between the different companies? they seem like very much generic except their main base location in the homeland..

5: Will you add a chance for surrendering/bording ships when just clicking the auto resolve button in naval combat? Or have you just excluded it from the open beta?

6: And finally will there be a possibelity to actually lead yourself the port attack and perhaps a possibility to do something when bordering an enemy ship, it is a little boring as it is now.. :)

It isnt that I didnt enyoy the beta, I really did, I just think that it raises more quiestions about the final product than it answered, as it also shows in the many questions in the this thread.

NB: I also concur with Cat Lords requests and questions, especially the point with the loading issue, when entering a port.

Last edited:
more feedback. . .

I agree on load times, I have a blazingly fast machine and it still takes 5-8 seconds every time, that gets old.

Also, how does this work in muliplayer? In single player the clock pauses when you go into port, I am assuming this will not happen in MP play?

I would like more control over the auto fleets. How many times did you get an infusion of cash, seconds after your auto fleet arrived in a port, just to watch them sail away empty becuase at the instant they landed you had no money. I would like a variety of settings for auto fleets, like remain until full, or certain load or money settings.

Also how about running totals on achievements? I would love to know how may tons of spices I have moved, players will want to achieve special recognition so let's have more info.

I also agree, we need updates on fleet status, maybe a map setting to show all ships' locations with status (empty, export, import, cargo type, maybe even an estimated value at destination port would be nice)

Agree with earlier poster on countries, they all seem to be rather generic. If that is the case then the closer countries have an advantage (I like Portugal, puts me that much closer to the Main Trade Ports). Who the heck would ever want to play Sweden?

Overall the game is fun, but the loading times may be a killer, we will see how they effect MP play. I can see room to expand later, maybe whaling in the Pacific?

I also agree about the load times...I love the gameplay but it turned into an endless cycle of 60 seconds of action, 20 seconds of load time, 60 seconds of action, 20 seconds of load time, etc.

Can't wait for tank busters questions to be answered!!

As for Sweden...I use that choke point at London as a blockade....setup 5 of my toughest ships and let them go get resources for me....lol.
Few times I got like 500 carats and 350 gold on one attack..was a nice boost to my war fleet....

I stay at war with everyone..diplomacy is for the weak. Usually get at least one to resign by 1620....

Aside from saying it "nice game," it seems like all you did was want stuff. Game isn't even out yet, and I agree with the poster who said this probably isn't the place for this.

Cat Lord is providing feedback. That is part of a Beta tester's 'job'.
That does NOT mean that the Developer has to agree, like it, or provide it.
But, if every single person in the Beta says the same thing then the Developer should at least look at it (even if they subsequently decide that the game is fine as it is.)

To say "Game isn't even out yet..." suggests that you think the game (to be released in a month?) will be drastically different from the Open Beta?
History disagrees with you. What you see now is more or less what you get unless the developer has a 'rabbit in their hat'. And that, by the way, would be a bad thing.
Games that do major updates between Beta and Release (with out allowing Beta Testers to test them) have a history of unbalancing the game.

If this isn't the place for these comments (this being a pre-release board for a game in Open Beta) then where, and when, do you think these things should be raised?
Post release by a lot of angry, unsatisfied and frustrated paying customers?

Last edited:
Well, I would have like to make all the comments in a beta forum is there was one, but the only one advertised give you an "Access Denied" error when you try to reach it, although you are fully registered and logged in.

Besides, it's an OPEN beta, it's not like if anyone couldn't have access to it. You just need to register to IGN to get it.

Yes, it's a nice game, my biggest grip with it was the loading time between port/strategic map, and someone kindly give me the solution here, so I am glad I asked. :)

Cat

Aside from saying it "nice game," it seems like all you did was want stuff. Game isn't even out yet, and I agree with the poster who said this probably isn't the place for this.
what is the meaning of "open beta"? is it only to say "waow, what a game!" or to look for bugs, give first impressions and then second impressions, how you play the game, what is easy or not... ?

it is surely no longer time to change game concepts or interface screens but it is surely time enough to add some points in the tutorial or the pdf documentation. Sort of the developer thinking, "ok, we meant this and the guys understand something other so we have to explain better."
And then, i guess they are thinking about a sequel, either an add-on or another game. They can note in their book that next time people would like this or that.

what is the meaning of "open beta"? is it only to say "waow, what a game!" ....

Sadly, on many boards now, this is exactly what many people seem to think.

And God help you if you dare to question anything.

People with perfectly valid points (and reasoning behind those points) are shouted down or worse.
The end result is games going retail with (in some cases) very serious flaws.

Well, I would have like to make all the comments in a beta forum is there was one, but the only one advertised give you an "Access Denied" error when you try to reach it, although you are fully registered and logged in...

I beg your apologies then, I thought this was the public forum and that should've happened in the beta forum. Thoroughly my mistake.

Besides, it's an OPEN beta, it's not like if anyone couldn't have access to it. You just need to register to IGN to get it.

Thank you so much! I thought it was only for "subscribed" members. I just logged-in, and sure enough I am now waiting to download. Thanks for the tip.

fix to loading times

In case you didn't see this in another thread here is how to fix the loading times:

In Graphics options make sure the "3D ports" box is unchecked, that makes the loads into and out of ports intantaneous (yes zero time, yay!) and does not effect the game at all, just dumbs down the eye candy when in port.

Enjoy!

When you switch to 2D ports do you still have press the 'Continue' button to get into the port?
Yes, I am wondering if it is because of the option "Show tips".

Cat