• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Kazmir

Keeping the ship on course
56 Badges
Aug 10, 2007
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Deus Vult
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Hearts of Iron Anthology
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Imperator: Rome
  • 500k Club
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Victoria 2
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
What has been the longest known period of peace a nation has experienced in recorded history? A period where no wars, civil-wars, revolutions or great deal of unrest has occurred?

Pax Romana comes to my mind, but has there been longer periods? Perhaps outside of Europe? Should probably exclude the sparsely populated areas.

What has been the longest known period of peace a nation has experienced in recorded history? A period where no wars, civil-wars, revolutions or great deal of unrest has occurred?

Pax Romana comes to my mind, but has there been longer periods? Perhaps outside of Europe? Should probably exclude the sparsely populated areas.

:confused: Rome was constantly making war on everybody it could find.

IIRC: from 1648 till 1940 the german-dutch border saw no action.
But war swept through that area in the Revolutionary and Napoleonic era, and both the Netherlands and the German states bordering the Netherlands participated in various wars throughout this period, to say nothing of revolutions.

I'll go with Switzerland from the middle of the 19th century to today. The other country I'd look up would one of the epochs of ancient Egypt.

Would probably be more like the Pax Romana than 'no wars' being fought. Egypt was consistently fiddling around its borders or having to fight off others trying to fiddle the borders back.

I'm pretty sure Sweden formed part of the seventh coalition against Napoleon? Would push forward Sweden's lack of war to 1816.

Make that 1672. In that year the bishops of Colonge and Munster attacked. They, unsuccessfully, tried to capture the city of Groningen.

Tarnor said:

Registered said:
Make that 1672. In that year the bishops of Colonge and Munster attacked. They, unsuccessfully, tried to capture the city of Groningen.

The Prussians under the Duke of Brunswick invaded the Netherlands, succesfully in 1787 restoring the authority of the House of Orange.

I meant a period when a nation has been in peace on all fronts, without major unrest or revolutions.

Whilst each of the participants went on to fight more wars, the Second Battle of Dongola created a 600 year truce between the Caliphate and Nubia

The Pax Romana is probably the longest one I can think of.

Pax Romana normally refers to the peace that befell the peoples conquored by Rome. In the center they would not experience the predations of wars as much as they had before since warfare by large moved out to the periphery of the empire. Much like the Pax Mongolia it does not refer to actual peace, just relative peace in some regions.

Sweden holds the record for the longest continuing period of peace among currently existing states, IIRC. 1814-2009+.

Sweden holds the record for the longest continuing period of peace among currently existing states, IIRC. 1814-2009+.

Wouldn't Japan's period of isolation between 1638 and 1853 be slightly longer? Unless there was some conflict in the middle of it which I'm unaware of...

Wouldn't Japan's period of isolation between 1638 and 1853 be slightly longer? Unless there was some conflict in the middle of it which I'm unaware of...

There were various peasant rebellions but nothing external as far as i know.
There might have been some expansion to the north but i'm not completely sure.