+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Longest lasting peace?

Keeping the ship on course Kazmir's Avatar
    200k clubHoI AnthologyCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2Mount & Blade: Warband
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Blog Entries

Longest lasting peace?

What has been the longest known period of peace a nation has experienced in recorded history? A period where no wars, civil-wars, revolutions or great deal of unrest has occurred?

Pax Romana comes to my mind, but has there been longer periods? Perhaps outside of Europe? Should probably exclude the sparsely populated areas.

200k clubCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3
    Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    LegioMagickaMarch of the EaglesSemper FiVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandPride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

As far as I know, San Marino hasn't been at war throughout its existence.
    "We give the facts. You can't say that we have a slant because of it. I hear that the jury's in on evolution."

"When you divide a country into two sides, one of which cheers the idea of murder and hate, you don't have much choice in which side you're on."

The Closer Supermoderator Veldmaarschalk's Avatar
    77 games registered

200k clubCrusader Kings IIV2 BetaCK2: Holy Knight500k club

Quote Originally Posted by Beamed View Post
    As far as I know, San Marino hasn't been at war throughout its existence.
    You really need to read up on San Marino's history

Quote Originally Posted by Kazmir View Post
    What has been the longest known period of peace a nation has experienced in recorded history? A period where no wars, civil-wars, revolutions or great deal of unrest has occurred?

Pax Romana comes to my mind, but has there been longer periods? Perhaps outside of Europe? Should probably exclude the sparsely populated areas.
    Rome was constantly making war on everybody it could find.

IIRC: from 1648 till 1940 the german-dutch border saw no action.

200k clubCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3
    Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    LegioMagickaMarch of the EaglesSemper FiVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandPride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Quote Originally Posted by Veldmaarschalk View Post

Wow, I was entirely unaware of how jingoistic it was!
    "We give the facts. You can't say that we have a slant because of it. I hear that the jury's in on evolution."

"When you divide a country into two sides, one of which cheers the idea of murder and hate, you don't have much choice in which side you're on."

I'll go with Switzerland from the middle of the 19th century to today. The other country I'd look up would one of the epochs of ancient Egypt.
    Free Blago!

Europa Universalis 3Hearts of Iron IIIEuropa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2Rome: Vae Victis

Quote Originally Posted by Duke_of_BOOM! View Post
    I'll go with Switzerland from the middle of the 19th century to today. The other country I'd look up would one of the epochs of ancient Egypt.
    Sweden beats Switzerland if I don't remember wrong. Switzerland seems to have had a 25 day civil war in 1847, while Sweden have been at peace since 1814.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarnor View Post
    But war swept through that area in the Revolutionary and Napoleonic era, and both the Netherlands and the German states bordering the Netherlands participated in various wars throughout this period, to say nothing of revolutions.

The Guy with the Mascara Zebedee's Avatar
    200k clubCities in MotionEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne
    Victoria: RevolutionsSword of the StarsPride of Nations500k clubEuropa Universalis IV
    EUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise

Quote Originally Posted by Duke_of_BOOM! View Post
    Would probably be more like the Pax Romana than 'no wars' being fought. Egypt was consistently fiddling around its borders or having to fight off others trying to fiddle the borders back.

I'm pretty sure Sweden formed part of the seventh coalition against Napoleon? Would push forward Sweden's lack of war to 1816.

Procrastinator extraordinaire Registered's Avatar
    200k clubHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonEast India CompanyEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For The GloryHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Make that 1672. In that year the bishops of Colonge and Munster attacked. They, unsuccessfully, tried to capture the city of Groningen.
    "The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity"
    Yeats

The Closer Supermoderator Veldmaarschalk's Avatar
    77 games registered

200k clubCrusader Kings IIV2 BetaCK2: Holy Knight500k club

Quote Originally Posted by Tarnor

Quote Originally Posted by Registered
    Make that 1672. In that year the bishops of Colonge and Munster attacked. They, unsuccessfully, tried to capture the city of Groningen.
    The Prussians under the Duke of Brunswick invaded the Netherlands, succesfully in 1787 restoring the authority of the House of Orange.

Keeping the ship on course Kazmir's Avatar
    200k clubHoI AnthologyCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2Mount & Blade: Warband
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Blog Entries
    I meant a period when a nation has been in peace on all fronts, without major unrest or revolutions.

Well then it's Sweden. 1814 until today, making it 195 years. Although Sweden have been involved in peace-keeping missions around the world.

HoI AnthologyEuropa Universalis 3For The Glory

Blog Entries
    Whilst each of the participants went on to fight more wars, the Second Battle of Dongola created a 600 year truce between the Caliphate and Nubia
    Swertic Tales

--------------[The Book of Saint John Series]---------------
    Volume I
    Volume II
    Volume III
    The Last Knights and the Book of St John
    --------------------more info at my Inkwell-------------------
    Medieval World 3 - EU2 LibrAARy - ACA Archive
    I was canonized 1/12/2008

Second Lieutenant liveandletdie14's Avatar
    Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3
    Divine WindHearts of Iron IIIEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSupreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

The Pax Romana is probably the longest one I can think of.

Fossile en devenir Moderator hildoceras's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kazmir View Post
    Pax Romana comes to my mind,
    what period was so peaceful ?

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteHearts of Iron IIIEuropa Universalis: Rome

Quote Originally Posted by liveandletdie14 View Post
    The Pax Romana is probably the longest one I can think of.
    Pax Romana normally refers to the peace that befell the peoples conquored by Rome. In the center they would not experience the predations of wars as much as they had before since warfare by large moved out to the periphery of the empire. Much like the Pax Mongolia it does not refer to actual peace, just relative peace in some regions.

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    For The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineKing Arthur IIMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSword of the Stars IIVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisWarlock: Master of the ArcaneCK2: Holy KnightEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    Warlock 2: The Exiled

Blog Entries
    Sweden holds the record for the longest continuing period of peace among currently existing states, IIRC. 1814-2009+.
    "Man is free; but his freedom does not look like the glorious liberty of the Enlightenment; it is no longer the gift of God. Once again, man stands alone in the universe, responsible for his condition, likely to remain in a lowly state, but free to reach above the stars.."
    -Jean-Paul Sartré

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultHeir to the ThroneVictoria: Revolutions
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessCK2: Holy KnightEU3 Collectors Edition
    500k club

Quote Originally Posted by Arilou View Post
    Sweden holds the record for the longest continuing period of peace among currently existing states, IIRC. 1814-2009+.
    Wouldn't Japan's period of isolation between 1638 and 1853 be slightly longer? Unless there was some conflict in the middle of it which I'm unaware of...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast