• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hmm, interesting. There is surprising amount of discussion about HoI3 around web. Somehow, that betrays my view that Paradox is just minor game developer. :wacko:

Indeed. I think their "indy developer" stage ended about, what, 4 years ago? Whenever they dropped Strategy First as a publisher.

Well, minor is wrong word, but... non-mainstream would be more fitting. It is quite rare to see non-mainstream games being previewed so eagerly.

My definition of mainstream is whatever appears in the mainstream press, so HoI3 is definitely mainstream. That's how you "go mainstream" - people who have paying jobs writing about games start writing about your game.

Well, minor is wrong word, but... non-mainstream would be more fitting. It is quite rare to see non-mainstream games being previewed so eagerly.

Sorry i think you are wrong again Paradox has been mainstream and a distinguished developer since Hoi1 and EU1.

Now "Madminutegames" for example is not a mainstream developer. Neither is "Nitro games".

Sorry i think you are wrong again Paradox has been mainstream and a distinguished developer since Hoi1 and EU1.

Now "Madminutegames" for example is not a mainstream developer. Neither is "Nitro games".

Depends on what you consider mainstream. For example, I don't think that Armed Assault 2 is mainstream game, nor do I consider any of Paradox's games as mainstream. On the other hand Portal and GTA4 are mainstream games, as everyone seems to have played them.

Depends on what you consider mainstream. For example, I don't think that Armed Assault 2 is mainstream game, nor do I consider any of Paradox's games as mainstream. On the other hand Portal and GTA4 are mainstream games, as everyone seems to have played them.
I agree with you. Mainstream games are the GTA series.. The halo Series... Half life series... Counter Strike... Red Alert.. Classics, so to say.

That's my 2 cents.

Cheers,
Nick

Mainstream is not necessarily a good thing, neither is it essentially bad. I suppose a game becomes mainstream when it is just a part of an extended genre, when its content is easily predictable by a gamer just by hearing its a "strategy" for example. Under this light, Paradox Games were completely non-mainstream at the beginning, no one could suspect what they were about before playing.
I remember back when EU 1 was about to come out, i had read a very short review and a couple of screenshots in a gaming mag, so i thought i would give it a try. It was not what i expected (it was much better), and i couldn't have known (though i am a strategy fan since 87) because it just wasn't mainstream back then.
I suppose today Paradox Games are indeed mainstream, since everybody knows what they are about. The fact that the genre they refer to has been born just to accommodate them, is a rare privilege that only games like Civilization or Sim City have achieved. Personally, i am glad they have become "mainstream" games. It means that intelligent games are "sexy" once more, just like back in the 80's.
And do believe me, that is good !

If you dont consider Hoi or EU serie of games mainstream then im really sorry for you :mad:

They are excellent games, but I don't think that they are mainstream. For example, if I go and ask my friends how many of them has played Portal, everyone says yes. If I ask how many of them has played HoI2, two out of ten might answer yes.

Mainstream =/= guaranteed to be a good game

They are excellent games, but I don't think that they are mainstream. For example, if I go and ask my friends how many of them has played Portal, everyone says yes. If I ask how many of them has played HoI2, two out of ten might answer yes.

Mainstream =/= guaranteed to be a good game

If thats your view that mainstream is guaranteed to be good game then i definetly cant agree with you. Portal what is that? Where i come from such games as Portal and CS are sadly dominated by cheaters and everyone i meet classifiy those games as brainfodder played by 12 year olds that only play em since WoW servers is down. Paradox games on the other hand have established themselves on the good side of mainstream were in people that are interested in history and enjoy thinking are proud to own their games. If i ask a mainstream CS kid what his favourite thing with HoI 2 is he will look at me like im from Mars.
:wacko: oops feel like we're going offtopic here

If thats your view that mainstream is guaranteed to be good game then i definetly cant agree with you. Portal what is that? Where i come from such games as Portal and CS are sadly dominated by cheaters and everyone i meet classifiy those games as brainfodder played by 12 year olds that only play em since WoW servers is down. Paradox games on the other hand have established themselves on the good side of mainstream were in people that are interested in history and enjoy thinking are proud to own their games. If i ask a mainstream CS kid what his favourite thing with HoI 2 is he will look at me like im from Mars.
:wacko: oops feel like we're going offtopic here

Do you know what =/= means? I said that mainstream doesn't guarantee good game.

Good list of games. I just finished Call of Juarez: bound in blood, yesterday. Was an awesome experience altoug a tat short.

Looking forward to tropico 3 as well.

O wait, and of course HOI3!!!!:D