• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
paradox hates everyone, all we ask for is a hyperrealistic map with accurate placenames but noooohh all we get is this fake map bundled with some sort of silly wargame

How true, how true. All my rivers are in wrong place. Even if I threw myself in despair into one of them because of this historic injustice, it would take me to the wrong sea. Oh the horror. I'm thinking of starting a hunger strike, or at least refuse to eat vegetables* today because of this.

*freedom fries are not considered vegetables when served together with a wienerschnitzel

Please could you post just 1-2 Screenshots with Sprites instead of Counters? Just for the Sprite-Players to get a feeling about how it would look like in a large War-Theater. That would be great :)

By the way: I have not followed the HoI3-Development for a while so i'm not sure if Sprites are done/ready at all :confused:

By the way: I have not followed the HoI3-Development for a while so i'm not sure if Sprites are done/ready at all :confused:

Over hundred sprites comes with the main game, and it is released on the 7th of August, so they are done. Of course, Singleton Mosby's beta version doesn't likely have all of them.

I'll worry a bit more about Finland once GER AI is capable of beating up USSR AI as it did historically in the first months of Barbarossa :p

Besides, this is not the Winter War, the Finns have already conceded their lands to Moscow by treaty and even though they did not renounce them, the legal owner is now the USSR.

It does raise the question of how occupation is different in core provinces vs. non-core provinces - I'd love to know whether something had already been implemented in this Beta, Singleton Mosby - but considering what happens on the rest of the front, Finland isn't the priority :)

Finns have Leningrad and they control the forts. The Soviets attack the Finns, the Finns have a massive superiority in numbers, yet the Soviets only have about 1000k more casualties than the Finns.

1000k more casualties than the Finns, that's (if I'm correct) 1 000 000.
That's not enough? :rofl:
Just my opinion, even if I don't disagree w/ everything you wrote, I disagree w/ the words you used. :eek:

EDIT: We are NOT some Balkan or Central American army incapable of inflicting huge casualties on the invader on our home soil.

Thats an extremely arrogant, not to mention an ignorant statement !Both regions you named were centers of numerous empires Finland never was, have some humility!

I think that his post was a joke so don't take it seriously.

And there are some ather large differences between Finland and Balkan/Central America, so you really can't compare them.

Considering the 900 to 30000 casualty ratio of the battle of Suomussalmi, that can indeed happen in HoI. It was an extreme case in real history, and such it shouldn't happen all the time in HoI either, but it can happen.

What happened for real at Suomussalmi was that the Soviets got encircled, were unable to break out, and were left there to starve and freeze for a while (the Finns even specifically targeted Soviet field kitchens, there should be a Geneva convention against that :rolleyes:). In HoI terms, their organization decayed, and then the Finns struck. Meaning that for the 900 Finns that died from direct combat, some (for example) 2000 or so Russians died in direct combat. Then Soviet organization reached zero, and having nowhere to go, the rest of the Soviet troops went up in smoke.

So yeah, extreme casualty ratios are possible in-game but, just as in the real world, you'll need to break the enemy's morale/organization to achieve those, and catch the enemy when fleeing or too disorganized to put up a fight.

[...]EDIT: We are NOT some Balkan or Central American army incapable of inflicting huge casualties on the invader on our home soil.[...]

Well, ask the Austrians where they have lost three Armys within a month ;)
(4th, 5th and 6th kuk-Army)

Over hundred sprites comes with the main game, and it is released on the 7th of August, so they are done. Of course, Singleton Mosby's beta version doesn't likely have all of them.

Thx for the info. I didn't know that.

EDIT: We are NOT some Balkan or Central American army incapable of inflicting huge casualties on the invader on our home soil.
You are obviously ignorant and probably never read a history book before. Insulting the balkan countries for not being able to defend themselves is at least ridiculous, un-historic and shows to the whole community your level of knowledge. Go read some books first then come here to this forum again.

You are obviously ignorant and probably never read a history book before. Insulting the balkan countries for not being able to defend themselves is at least ridiculous, un-historic and shows to the whole community your level of knowledge. Go read some books first then come here to this forum again.

I will have to second this one.

Because the Finns showed courage while fighting against the sovs (will not comment on the fact they allied with gerrys later on, and when things didn't go as they expected switched sides) does not make other people less of a soldier when it comes to defending their country. Specially Greeks. Read a book and then come play again. Enough with those that know history books only from the cover.

I will answer the questions tomorrow. Just got home and I will now watch a movie before I go get some sleep :cool:

Bah! No rest for those who have copies of HOI3 already!

I am very interested to see how an encirclement of the enemies capital works in terms of supply. Also - the large amount of shattered units that should apparenlty be expected around a major's capital will have some interesting effects on strategy

Chapter Thirteen: West of Moscow

Casualties mounted in Volokolansk as the 17th and 8th infantry battled a growing number of Soviet divisions. Moscow was so close but yet so far away.
Mannerheim knew something had to be done and thus he interfered. We wouldn’t bring more troops to the fight and batter our way through. Our strength had to be used and expended sparingly. Our losses could not be as easily replaced as those of the enemy. We withdrew and left Volokolansk to the Soviets.

11b7l1g.jpg

Instead the corps commanders were ordered to manoeuvre and bring as much force to bear on Moscow itself. Once the city was captured the enemy was deprived of its supplies and stores. From the north reinforcements were drawn in.​

35b749k.jpg

Once they arrived the western approaches to Moscow could be invested. A plan put in effect in late November.​

2h4j86w.jpg

28i8fm9.jpg

On the Western flank a smallscale battle was being fought between one of the Soviet forces going north to aid the attacks on Leningrad and a division of infantry. One when two additional divisions joined the fight were we able to score a victory.
More minor victories were scored by the VI corps but it was apparent Moscow would not fall before winter. And perhaps we would be here for a long, long time.​

rro6zq.jpg

240yidd.jpg

Have you thought of marching all the down to the Black Sea, encircling the whole soviet western front? :p

Or what if peace would be better now for Finland?