• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
So what was the strength of a typical soviet Division in 41?

Real, or in numbers?

That's the clue of the problem. Most of the divisions of the first and second echelon (basically, the ones on the border and in the western military districts) had 70-80% level of completion in terms of soldiers, lower in motorized equipment and tanks (keep in mind though that 1941 Soviet standard called for EVERY infantry division having fully motorized artillery for example, each Soviet tank division was supposed to have approx. 300 tanks and each motorized about 100, something Germans never had).

In terms of real fighting power? 20-30% of the one on paper. Some even less (mechanized corps stationed near Suwalki have fallen apart without much of the fighting, Germans didn't even noticed them - and they had at least 50% of the planned tank numbers, with good part of them being T-34s and KVs).

So, how is the river called which runs from the Oranienburg area to lake Ilmen. In my recollection it was the Sava as well. I battled for it for months in a game of TOAW-FITE, damned thing ran red with blood.

Not really sure which river you mean exactly, but it sounds like the Luga-river, which starts just south of Leningrad then goes southeast to the neighbourhood of Lake Illmen and then moves west and then northwest to the gulf of Finland, just west of where the Oranienbaumpocket was in WWII.

Blue Emu said:

The Volkhov river runs from Lake Illmen to Lake Ladoga

Guys, this is developing into a Balkan discussion. Please, don't.

Its not in the Balkans.:mad:

It starts in Slovenia, it goes across Croatia, Bosnia and Serbia until it reaches Belgrade where it merges with the Danube.
If that's not the balkans I don't know what it is...
I guess it depends on what people think of the balkans as a geographic area.

but let's stop this now and lets enjoy the AAR, shall we?

Is it possible to see the enemy's supply lines? I mean, you talked about cutting the soviets' in Novgorod so they couldn't bring any reinforcements and you could crush them. Also, there still is the baltic states through which they could transport men and material, so I'd like to know; how long does it take after you cut a supply line for a new one to reach the front?

This is well off topic but I've had TOAW for a while and never played FITE as I thought that it didnt have a computer AI. Mosby you're always referencing it, is there a resource site for it? Is it possible to play that monster scenario as single player?