• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
And the Romanians have a German army there that seems to be getting run around, soon they will be on the border with Bulgaria, which shouldn't even be in war with them, Bulgaria decided to remain neutral in Barbarossa, the USSR DOW'ed them in 1944.

Looks like not even tweaking is required here but a HUGE re-write, first I would put most USSR regiments/brigades on reserve strength, second, lower their officer % to 35 or something.

If the Soviet AI fully withdraws from the Finnish border the AI is not very good at keeping troops against threats, which the Finns would naturally be. Leningrad would of course never be completely undefended IRL.

I'm afraid this AAR will be over very soon with maybe even Moscow falling to the Finns while the rest of the USSR army occupies Romania/Poland and Hungary...

Almost undoable, this scenario in this BETA is not a bit, but very flawed, but thanks for the AAR anyway :)

Last edited:
If the Soviet AI fully withdraws from the Finnish border the AI is not very good at keeping troops against threats, which the Finns would naturally be. Leningrad would of course never be completely undefended IRL.

No strategic AI in the Beta. So, there's probably a rudimentary Strategic AI for now with the orders "GET ME BERLIN!" and "Kill things on Soviet soil that aren't Soviet." Given that AI Finland will stay utterly passive in this build (again, no Strategic AI), it's a sound strategy for now.

BTW, all in all, I was quite suprised that in your Soviet AAR you had to move back near Odessa, since historically Odessa Military District 9th Army was the most powerful of Soviet armies in 1941 and was way stronger then German, Hungarian and Romanian forces facing it. I assumed your units were in bad shape (like 30% STR or something) so you had to reform, but AI actions in this AAR seems to prove it's not the case. Strange.

Well, I am replaying that scenario again, now being very agressive but I still have to pull back because of the big, big gap to the west of Odessa. Thus I have no idea how the AI is pulling this of.

Almost undoable, this scenario in this BETA is not a bit, but very flawed, but thanks for the AAR anyway :)

It indeed is but still it is good to show some of the game mehcanics, the reactions of the AI, small scale battles in Karelia and the Soviet AI fighting the German AI. Next to that we need some comparison to put against the final version. But, at the moment the AI is better then the AI in E:TW :D
Well, except for when you are playing Finland.

Last edited:
Soviet AI going into Romania is ridiculous. They have created one incredibly juicy and tasty pocket, and those nearby German forces look like they might be willing to take a bite.

Well, I am replaying that scenario again, now being very agressive but I still have to pull back because of the big, big gap to the west of Odessa. Thus I have no idea how the AI is pulling this of.

Which is wierd as well, in this place there were Soviet mountain (well, infantry in 1941 terms, since Soviets somehow limited mountain troops training) troops:

Southern Front (Odessa MD)

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/rkkaww2/maps/1941S/SF_41.jpg

South Western Front (Kiev MD)

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/rkkaww2/maps/1941S/SF_41.jpg

Anyway, with a bit of luck, German AI might encircle this force pushing forward at the coast with well placed flank assault. That will show them! :D

I am a bit confused: The progress shown is being quoted as the progress of the ´1st week´. Yet the screens show: it´s August. Barborossa started, as i assume we all know, on June 22nd. Maybe Mosby confused June with July? And the progress shown is that of the first 5 weeks?

Also: Not only do the germans have an encirclemant opportuinity in the south, but the russian have also one in the north. Seeing how both sides push along at the coastlines, would make v.Manstein turn in his grave, probably. I assume, though, that is the result, because the fornt-ends at the coasts are the weakest parts of the overall front and the respective other side is trying to push through the weakest part of the line. That reminds a bit of the ´let-france-invade-you-and-then-cut-off-half-their-army-in-germany´ exploit in HoI2. The AI should definetely not ALWAYS try to go for the weakest spot - it makes it predictable and exploitable. Seeing this, i would leave my coast provinces almost undefended on purpose, waiting for the germans to push through and then cut them off.

I am a bit confused: The progress shown is being quoted as the progress of the ´1st week´. Yet the screens show: it´s August. Barborossa started, as i assume we all know, on June 22nd. Maybe Mosby confused June with July? And the progress shown is that of the first 5 weeks?

You are right....damn. I will rewrite a bit.... What happened will be explained in the next chapter.

Also: Not only do the germans have an encirclemant opportuinity in the south, but the russian have also one in the north. Seeing how both sides push along at the coastlines, would make v.Manstein turn in his grave, probably. I assume, though, that is the result, because the fornt-ends at the coasts are the weakest parts of the overall front and the respective other side is trying to push through the weakest part of the line. That reminds a bit of the ´let-france-invade-you-and-then-cut-off-half-their-army-in-germany´ exploit in HoI2. The AI should definetely not ALWAYS try to go for the weakest spot - it makes it predictable and exploitable. Seeing this, i would leave my coast provinces almost undefended on purpose, waiting for the germans to push through and then cut them off.

While the Russians have the potential to perform a encirclement in the Baltic states, it's possible that they don't have the armor forces to break the flank. Since in the previous AAR the Soviet troops did not perform at a 1:1 level against their German counterparts, they would likely need a 3 fold advantage. While the romanian pocket shows a series of German divisions in perfect position to perform a drive into the flank. The only question is if they're mechanised or not. Also another important item is if Romania can hold the pocket flanks against a breakout attempt. If SU can sieze Constanta it won't matter, because they will be able to resupply the group by the sea thus threatening all of Romania and the South front.

So it looks like SU needs some significant nerfing from the point it is in the game version you have.

That wouldn't fit in other scenarios though as first thing the AI will do is reinforce the understrength divs as it's cheaper than build new.
Perhaps part of those divs should be put as reserves, so they are not reinforced unless mobilization starts?

It will be interesting to see how the Soviet AI handels the demobilisation after the Finnish War, since they would then be "at Peace" with everyone. If it does not demobilize barbarossa will be a huge challange in 41 with little chance of being able to attain historical outcomes.

Good point, another reason why there should be a way to put regular divs into reserve mode - losing their strength, at least part of which, should return to manpower pool.

i dont know why everyone thinks that the germans would loose this one...for me it seems like they are in the better positions have more troops and are about to break trough in the north and the far south. and they dont seem to do so bad in the center either. now with the fins marching into leningrad and some soviet troops being pulled out of the northern front to leningrad there is no question that the germans will steamroll them and unite with the finnish troops.

Chapter Four: Leningrad, here I come!......eh.....am

All right, as you might have noticed the title of this chapter is a bit weird. Why, well because of two good reasons. First of all the AI behaved a bit weird. It shone by total absence. Or perhaps there was an AI on the Leningrad front but it had no troops to direct as every single division was now fighting ze Germanz.

Next to that I would have liked to shown you some nice pictures of my march on Leningrad but unfortunately I pressed ‘F10’ (record movie) instead of ‘F9’ take screenie and thus had nothing to show you until I restarted Fraps.

So, we can pretend I made some dashing moves on the border wiping out the few remaining divisions left there as an effect of my diplomatic ruse or we can just accept there was nothing exciting to mention and I marched on Leningrad unopposed and captured the important city bloodlessly, quite unRussian if you ask me.

Anyhow, here I am in possession of Peter’s magnificent city after some quick, smart movement;
33jia6b.jpg

As you will see in the next few pictures some Soviet troops reacted to my move and returned from the Riga front were they had been dealing a terrible blow to my German allies. If only I had DOW-ed and arrived a bit later in Leningrad I might as well have freed Rommel from his captors. Interesting in these screens are the ‘general selection-screen’ and the extreme quality of my infantry.​

169gc1z.jpg

2cxxqog.jpg

dful40.jpg