• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Wow so many HQs? Are they that cheap or that needed in comparison to hoi2?
Every single army unit from corps and above will have an HQ.

So that means that there is an HQ for each Corps, each Army, Each Army Group, and the theaters.

One thing I would try here:

If you focus on a section of the front and have many units there, the AI reacts and tries to put up an adequate defense, right?

But what if you have the units behind the front, waiting - can you fool the AI?

------------------------ <- front
x x x x <- defenders(sparse)
xxxxxxxxxx <- nasty surprise(massive)
xxxxxxxxxx <- even more nasty surprise

Because I think this could be applied very well in a finnish-soviet war. You show a medium force in the north (try to attack murmansk) and only a sparse force at the bottleneck(they try to defend only) east of leningrad. But the small force is backed up by considerable forces behind the lines. The AI(maybe) will move big junks of troops to the north and once they are too far north to intervene, you send your hidden troops to the southeast and cut them off.

they say the ai will not cheat, this means fog of war applies to their actions. if their intel is low, they will not be able to detect your armies waiting behind the front

So your strategy is to wait until russians troups are going to meet german assault and then strike when you see the number of units diminish ?

Does that mean you will invest in diplomacy to lower your threat (but it seems to be at 0 right now) and in espionage to have a good view at russian troups ?

Do you have technology to build a radar station to help in intelligence ?

Do you plan to build more troups ?

That's indeed my strategy. I will invest a bit in diplomacy but don't expect any result in the short period before I DOW.

I didn't take a look at tech or production, those were all an AI show.

Also - nice work Singleton Mosby. Will you be testing the Russian CtD save when the game is released to see if it is still compatible?

According to Suzanna saves of the Beta will not be compatible. If time permits however I will replay the '41 scenario just as I did in the former AAR and make that the basis for my HOI3 review.

So overall, it was fairly impressive how well the German AI did considering this issue.

It most certainly was. I felt ashamed I wasn't able to replicate it when I took over the controls of the Soviets and the Germans. (tried both)
In this Finnish game however the 'Leningrad front-AI' will make a terrible "facepalm" mistake. Thus, don't expect a heroic fight on the Leningrad front, it will be more like a march on Leningrad. There will be some interesting fighting in Karelia and I will show you the progress of the AI on the entire Eastern-Front.

Wow so many HQs? Are they that cheap or that needed in comparison to hoi2?

HQ's are not only cheap, they are free. Whenever you promote a division-HQ to corps level a Corps HQ is created (same for higher echlons). This is a free HQ unit but it's supporting troops (3000) have to be drawn from your manpower pool as reinforcements which might take a while and of course is not free. Works pretty well, this new system.

One thing I would try here:

Interesting tactic.....and one thing I will try if I continue my preview with a replication of this game as well. Didn't need it here though.

Experience

BTW, do the higher level HQ commanders still get exp in some way? A theatre commander will likely never participate in a battle directly, but does he still get exp from unleashing his minions upon the enemy?

It has been mentioned in the Developer Diaries (leadership) that Divisional,Corps, Army and Theatre Commanders all gain (in diminishing percentages) from the successful actions of troops.In effect the direct Commander gains most and those higher up the chain of command gain progressively less.

Chapter Three: Barabarossa progress report I

Mannerheim carefully listened to his chief of intelligence, reading an elaborate report on the German Eastern-Front progress during its first month. ”In the north general Rommel is advancing on Riga but has met heavy resistance along the line of.....

2gv1z41.jpg

305k.jpg

1o0ug3.jpg

ap70r8.jpg

egabrs.jpg

”It is not enough gentlemen, not enough.” He spoke, slapping the flat of his hand on the metal table. ”They will be held on the Dvina-Dnjepr line and thrown back.” As the sound of his slap on the metal table reverberated through the room the generals and ministers contemplated his words. No one spoke a word, instead they all looked at the only man they who had the strength and wit to decide what to do next.

” We will attack now! The Soviets have forsaken the defence of their border; we have lured them into a fake sense of security. If we are able to cut their communications with both Murmansk and Archangelsk we will cut off their communications with the outside world. They will have to do with what they have and nothing more!” He paused for a few seconds looking through the room with his icy cold stare. They all knew it would be a close call, and a risky one at that. But the urge to avenge themselves for the Winter War was there in every one of them. And it made them reckless.

”If we attack now, and perhaps even take undefended Leningrad, it will give the Germans some breathing space. The entire Soviet Leningrad front has to be recalled from the Riga sector, as will be more of their troops. By then we, however, will have build a defensive line as strong as any. If we can hold there and then we might win the war for our allies or be able to negotiate a return to the 1939 border with Stalin.”

His last words made them all very excited, was this man’s plan as sound as it was daring?​

Last edited:
lol, now that's a weird invasion, looks like the axis front is already collapsing in the south?

Yes, one week and the Rumanians are running for cover from the overpowered Soviets. The Hungarians however are kicking some Soviet ass. (for now)

lol, now that's a weird invasion, looks like the axis front is already collapsing in the south?

How so?

They are pushing forward - those stripped provinces are the ones Soviets took over BEFORE the war and couple of them were already retaken by Romanians. They got pushed a bit in the south, but moved forward in the northern part. I would say, it's 50-50. ;)

The number of provs Romania is divided into now is downright scary!

I don't even want to know how China looks like. Defeating the KMT as Japan might have just become the nigh-impossible (logistically) feat it was historically.

@Alojzy

Yes and no. Look carefully,you'll see the Soviets crossed into the Danube Delta and are threatening Constanta ( the Airbase+Port prov right at the bottom edge of the screenie). So it looks like a Bessarabia-Dobrudja gambit to me.

Last edited:
How so?

They are pushing forward - those stripped provinces are the ones Soviets took over BEFORE the war and couple of them were already retaken by Romanians.

Not the one on the far right flank.

... They got pushed a bit in the south, but moved forward in the northern part. I would say, it's 50-50. ;)
Of course, the opening week of Barbarossa isn't supposed to be 50-50...

You quoted only half of the post...?
That's OK... I quoted the other half.

Not the one on the far right flank.

Yes, I've updated my post.

BTW, all in all, I was quite suprised that in your Soviet AAR you had to move back near Odessa, since historically Odessa Military District 9th Army was the most powerful of Soviet armies in 1941 and was way stronger then German, Hungarian and Romanian forces facing it. I assumed your units were in bad shape (like 30% STR or something) so you had to reform, but AI actions in this AAR seems to prove it's not the case. Strange.

You quoted only half of the post...?

My fault, I've added last sentence 1-2 minutes later after publishing. :eek:o