• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Tomorrow I will most probably only make one post (working from a different location ;)). On tuesday you can expect posts 19 and 20 wrapping up the first part of the AAR. Then, I am still contemplating if I will write up the complete Finnish AAR or just go over it quickly and on to the Gotterdamerung next (didn't play that one yet).

You know, instead of trying Goetterdaemmerung (which has the potential to be hugely disappointed because the whole global dynamic will be screwed up by the naval AI's absence), maybe you should give the December 1941 scenario a spin, and see how the Soviet-German war works there, how the OOB is different, how the Soviets are handicapped, etc.?

I fail to get the catch on holding Riga... the duna is right behind you... you should fall back to the river, it'll give you even better chances of holding a line... And you have an airfield close by... Riga isn't all that important from my POV...

Not that I care, but how come that the Germans have more casualties than you...? wherez my man wave tacticz!¡'

Cheers;
Nick

Why not just retreat to better defensive positions in eastern Estonia, but leave a pocket around Riga and supply it by sea (blatantly exploiting the non-existent naval AI :p)?

Or fall back, causing the Germans to spread out, then smack them with a concentrated armored force in the face.

The juicy possibilities of 10k land province, low unit density and real time :D

Why not just retreat to better defensive positions in eastern Estonia, but leave a pocket around Riga and supply it by sea (blatantly exploiting the non-existent naval AI :p)?

Or fall back, causing the Germans to spread out, then smack them with a concentrated armored force in the face.

The juicy possibilities of 10k land province, low unit density and real time :D
Amen.

The field is our sandbox, and the counters are our instruments! We shall vanquish all enemies that oppose us!

HAU!!! ( Spartan war cry )

Cheers,
Nick

Dagas should be referred to the epic screen of utter pwnage of the Third Reich by the Bolshevists (with Mosby on the other side this time), a few pages back, perhaps?

The OOB really is out of whack, the AI is playing pretty well. If you want to do a count - so far, what, 9 Soviet units (totaling 70,000 when the pocket was closed, with a few divisions escaping) were lost to an encirclement, while Axis only lost a single Romanian division, and it took a major offensive to achieve that.

Now think about how many times you lost units to a non-accidental enemy encirclement in HoI2. I have a very favorable view of the AI so far...the operational side, anyway.

Last edited:
Maybe, if USSR's army wasn't overpowered.

One concern for me is that all the cry about the Soviet "overpower" might actually result in totally bogus Soviet OOB in updated version of the scenario. You know, like "let's remove 50 divisions to make it right" kind of thing.

To reiterate - Soviet OOB is more or less ok in terms of units in field, just like German one.

What is totally wrong is Soviet initial strength, organization and in case of mobilized units also time of arrival in the scenario. They just recover way, way too fast from the initial shock.

I have some faith in Paradox to not do something moronic like chopping up the OOB, when they can easily nerf the Soviets by reducing officer pool further and cutting back on all those 100% strength units - which was not only suggested multiple times in this very thread, but also used by Paradox in HoI2 OOBs to represent understrength units. Though, to be sure, they didn't do that in the 1941 OOB, since GDE modifications made this less necessary.

By the way, one oddity about the incomplete OOB we're observing here is that in HOI2 the Soviets get their full complement of airborne divisions in 1941. Just something to show that they actually have to add more stuff yet (well, that and artillery brigades that are obviously MIA across every OOB except the Japanese one).

EDIT: I have a question for Mosby - how many of your divisions are actually in a reserve state at start? Judging from some early screen, it seems everything's full strength?

EDIT2: In general I think Paradox did a pretty good job of NOT screwing up the nominal OOBs (considering it's a grand strategy game on a global scale and divisions are dime a dozen), whether in HoI2 or here, assuming it will be worked on further. They even remembered those poor Japanese airborne brigades and whatnot in HoI2, despite them being nominally too small to include - they got in as understrength divisions.

Last edited:
Is there a total casualties screen on the stats menu? Sorry if its been mentioned before but it's something I haven't gleaned yet. Obviously it's telling you for each individual battle but whether or not there's a totals screen makes all the difference. I'd really appreciate it if you'd post a screen of it if there is one.

BTW Thanks for doing this AAR Mosby! First real glimpse of how the game will play.

Is there a total casualties screen on the stats menu? Sorry if its been mentioned before but it's something I haven't gleaned yet. Obviously it's telling you for each individual battle but whether or not there's a totals screen makes all the difference. I'd really appreciate it if you'd post a screen of it if there is one.

IIRC, Singleton Mosby, said that there isn't total casualties screen at his version.

I would like to have some aort of csv file in the savegames folder that keeps track of all battle results. Is it possible to log all game events and store them in a database?

All Paradox's games have done this...? :confused: Or I am just being stupid by not understanding your post

After checking some rome savegames(HOI3 has same/similar engine), if ound out: You are right. So I will have to program some parser that extracts the relevant information("much did this bloody yugoslavian campaign cost already/&%$%?? - my balkan forces are always too weak :rolleyes:") with a mouseclick.

My concern is the AI seems to have fixated on Riga. Surely a simple encirclement and then bypass of the trapped force to be crushed at a later stage should be the AI's tactic.
It seems to be getting bogged down everywhere, or am I just imagining it?

Pretty cool AAR Mosby. Finally got around to catching up and I'm pretty impressed with HoI3 (not that I wasn't before, but I'm even more excited now :p). Man, can't wait to play this myself.