• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Such concern was already stated at relevant DD... It's quite probable that 2 only important sliders might be officers and R&D, while you can neglect diplomacy and espionage alltogether (either minimal spending or delay on slider changes was suggested, wonder if it gets in).

I guess full campaign will tell us if it's perfectly valid strategy, or do you actually fare better using espionage and diplo options.

Diplomacy would be borderline useless for USSR in 1941 in any case, as it has no close ideological friends other than Sinkiang (and no prospects, really - everyone else is on the far side of the triangle). The 1936 scenario would demand a different approach.

I don't really see how intel can be "neglected altogether," but Mosby doesn't really have a choice here.

This is getting more awesome. The giant overview of the whole front was very helpful. Are your troops being overrun in the HoI2 sense or just shoved and bypassed?

The blitzkrieg strategy of large panzer groups penetrating and encircling is quite risky, and really only works on an unprepared opponent (like the AI in HoI2). I would love to see an AI with the wherewithal to cut-off giant unsupported encirclements.

Use a mod? :)

"suggests TRP" :D

Even though I've played virtually every PI game (EU1, 2, 3, Vicky, HOI1,2, Rome) I've never used a mod. I think I'm going to have to once some are developed for HOI3. That, and start playing multiplayer games. HOI3 is going to be amazing!

Edit: Include CK in that list.

I don't really see how intel can be "neglected altogether," but Mosby doesn't really have a choice here.

Well, I can see that, since I do it all the time in HoI2, pretty much the same with diplomacy and nothing awful happens.

Certain countries (like Germany or USSR) that highly prefer heavy handed approach simply don't benefit all that much from indirect approach that diplo and intel actions provide. Why spy on someone, when it's better to simply build big army (officers) and annex him by overwhelming technological advantage (R&D)? You can even release him later as puppet and have everything you could get from diplomacy + more, since now your ally is on the same tech level as you, so it can actually help you on some fields. ;)

They can use diplo/espionage, but it's not a big a deal if they don't. And HoI3 got huge demotivator for using diplo/espionage options - you have to hamper your R&D and unit quality to perform them.

Of course, certain other countries might benefit from indirect approach, so this system might actually work for them.

Last edited:
Right.

Back to the officers discussion: If the officers are not "baked" into the brigades/divisions (as MP is), you will never suffer any officers losses due to combat etc? If you "train" them over time, does this number go up infinitely (ie is there any attrition on them)?

Thanks

Snoopy

Certain countries (like Germany or USSR) that highly prefer heavy handed approach simply don't benefit all that much from indirect approach that diplo and intel actions provide.

Well, if you want to get Austria and other cores as Germany, you need to use both diplomacy and espionage. Also, if you want to Balcan countries to Axis, better start using those diplomatic influence options.

Right.

Back to the officers discussion: If the officers are not "baked" into the brigades/divisions (as MP is), you will never suffer any officers losses due to combat etc? If you "train" them over time, does this number go up infinitely (ie is there any attrition on them)?

Thanks

Snoopy

I would assume that they have same turnover rate as manpower.

Right.

Thanks

Snoopy

But you do suffer officer losses in combat.

Well, if you want to get Austria and other cores as Germany, you need to use both diplomacy and espionage. Also, if you want to Balcan countries to Axis, better start using those diplomatic influence options.

In part whether Diplomacy is crucial depends on whether Paradox assumes that all countries would end up in the historical position without diplomatic interactions (like in HoI2) or not. For example, perhaps the Allies need to keep influencing Spain to prevent it from going Axis?

But in any case, diplomacy is a highly underrated tool even in HoI2. Saying that it's useless is like saying that every division types other than INF is useless - because it's not necessary. It's like playing a shooter and refusing to use anything but the basic machine-gun, because it's "unnecessary," no matter how much gory fun you can have with the other toys in the arsenal.

If Anchluss of Austria decision requires that, good enough, but why in god's name would I want Balcan countries join me?

I can annex them (grabbing their resources upon taking over the capital), then release, making them puppets - saving tons of money/diplomats and "upgrading" their tech level to mine. And on the top of that, I can release those I need, while leaving certain countries occupied if I need their provinces for another agressive move. In worst case, I can leave them neutral - to be fair, it's much more safe for German player to leave Italy out of Axis, it will save him trouble later on. ;)

Of course it's a gamey tactics - but if it's perfectly valid in HoI3 as well, especially considering benefits (in HoI2 it was not making my army more powerful by extra officers not more modern via new weapons, in HoI3 it does), then why not? Of course, I can roleplay, but it would be good to have better motivation then RP to keep diplomacy, espionage, R&D and officer sliders somehow balanced.

If Anchluss of Austria decision requires that, good enough, but why in god's name would I want Balcan countries join me?

I can annex them (grabbing their resources upon taking over the capital), then release, making them puppets - saving tons of money and "upgrading" their tech level to mine. And on the top of that, I can release those I need, while leaving certain countries occupied if I need their provinces for another agressive move. In worst case, I can leave them neutral - to be fair, it's much more safe for German player to leave Italy out of Axis, it will save him trouble later on. ;)

You can't release a country with a GiE, which is almost a certainty given that those countries will instantly join the Allies.

Also, neutrality/threat rules affect all countries, not just democracies, so you may not be able to just DoW whenever you want. Better AI also means that certain minors are more than a mere distraction (Romania in particular, given the huge size of their army).

I can annex them (grabbing their resources upon taking over the capital), then release, making them puppets - saving tons of money and "upgrading" their tech level to mine. And on the top of that, I can release those I need, while leaving certain countries occupied if I need their provinces for another agressive move.

Just hope that they don't join Allies and make GiE, meaning that you cannot puppet them.

Edit. Alexander! :mad:

How are you doing with MP? How is your current officer number, still around 75%?

MP is ok and officers level is at 76%, sometimes, after a big battle it drops back to 75%

William T. Sherman FTW! :D

Damn your name sir! ..... o wait, in his later life Mosby was quite good friends with Grant (another tank) so perhaps he didn't hate Sherman all that much.

This is getting more awesome. The giant overview of the whole front was very helpful. Are your troops being overrun in the HoI2 sense or just shoved and bypassed?

The blitzkrieg strategy of large panzer groups penetrating and encircling is quite risky, and really only works on an unprepared opponent (like the AI in HoI2). I would love to see an AI with the wherewithal to cut-off giant unsupported encirclements.

The AI is most certainly capable of encircling. I have just sat watching the AI slug it out...completely in awe. I have seen about a dozen pockets being created, some broken open again, others being whiped out.
The other thing I learned during these four months is the USSR is way overpowered in this build. I have to credit the German AAR in my game as well as the USSR AI made me feel ashamed....yes, German troops were in the pockets, not outside. Ok, one pic.

Thus, what have I learned:
- AI is capable of defending itself and attacking
- USSR Barabarossa AI behaves historical but has enough troops to succeed
- USSR is overpowerd...guess we will see a toned down version in the release
- Germany doesn't get any attack bonusses but their troops are better
- Germany is underpowered 480 vs. 1150 brigades
- It looks like the AI gets some bonusses against the human player (or I am the lousiest general ever :p)

29d8ihh.jpg

btw: 100,000+ views :D

Man, you've been shamed by the Soviet AI :p

While you say Germany is underpowered though...isn't there a huge Romanian army that accounts for a few hundred brigades, at least? Plus Hungarians and whatever Italy sends.

BTW, doesn't the battle overview show all bonuses to efficiency? It would be very easy to check if the AI is getting a bonus, but if you're playing on normal it most likely isn't (not to combat stats anyway). What other mode of cheating would there be? Intel?

You can't release a country with a GiE, which is almost a certainty given that those countries will instantly join the Allies.

Also, neutrality/threat rules affect all countries, not just democracies, so you may not be able to just DoW whenever you want. Better AI also means that certain minors are more than a mere distraction (Romania in particular, given the huge size of their army).

And attacking many countries that are naturally alligned to you would immediately (or should!) mobilize many others and start seeing you are a threat. Besides, you don't want the Ploesti oil be owned by you on a much lower output then it can give being friends. They also provide troops and other treats.

Just hope that they don't join Allies and make GiE, meaning that you cannot puppet them.

Edit. Alexander! :mad:

Yes, but as was said in relevant DD discussion, not every country gets GiE - you can't annex them ONLY if their unity won't fall to zero by the time you occupy all their territory. Or was it changed at some point?

Anyway, we are far off topic again. Let's leave sliders discussion till the game is released, I expact interesting conclusion by then. ;)

"Germany is underpowered 480 vs. 1150 brigades"

That says it all, German forces should be double at least, phew, I'm glad! :)

Could you give the army overview of Germany and allies in Barbarossa scenario?

Yes, but as was said in relevant DD discussion, not every country gets GiE - you can't annex them ONLY if their unity won't fall to zero by the time you occupy all their territory. Or was it changed at some point?

First off not every country will form a government in exile, you must be aligned to a faction to form a government-in-exile, there will be no Albanian government-exile popping up in April of 1939 looking for a home. With no faction to take you in your war is over. Next each country has the choice to simply capitulate instead of fighting on. However should a country aligned to a faction be forced to surrender and chooses to fight on then the government exile forms in the faction leader’s capital. The government in exile will receive a small amount of manpower and leadership from people who manage to flee the occupation (somehow) and from members of that country’s Diaspora who rally to help the country in its time of crisis. It will also receive a very small amount of IC.

Each country has choise to make a GiE or to be annexed.