• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I know and that will also depict one of the main german characteristics in the war. The German army excelled in manouver warfare. That gave them the edge during Barbarossa when climate and terrain allowed it. So, I guess I'm trying to say that it makes the game more historically correct. I like that :)

So do I :D

Sadly the 7th is still so far away - I just hope the Gamers Gate servers are robuster than Amazons this morning :D

If the AI tries encirclments this game will take much too much of my time the comming autumn :D

Maybe the question shouldn't be how good the Ai is in encircling but how good it can react to encirclements?!

Soviet had about 23 500 tanks at the start of Barbarossa. During the first 6-8 weeks of the campaign they had lost 12 000 tanks. Total tank losses during the period june 22 1941 to may 2 1945 was staggering 96 000 tanks [N Zetterling]

They had 29 Mechanized Corps (each with 5 tank regiments) at the date. Each corps was supposed to have bit over 1000 tanks. However, from what I found on the web, these had propably bit over half of the equipment they needed and were in no condition to fight otherwise.

See links:

http://niehorster.orbat.com/012_ussr/41_organ/41_afv_mech_forces.html

http://www.dupuyinstitute.org/ubb/Forum4/HTML/000072.html

Maybe the question shouldn't be how good the Ai is in encircling but how good it can react to encirclements?!

I know I'm not alone in stating that I hope that it can do both, react and cause encirclements. Hopefully, it has code for doing both 3 or 4 different ways as well.

Probably too much to ask for though.

You get used to the lines. I thought they were akward going from HOI2 to EU3 as my main game. Now i find the occupied territories on HOI2 to be screwed up.... Personally i think the lines are horrible in screenshots, but from a gameplay mechanic they make more sense. Youll get used to them.

Hi Singleton,

I really appreciate you doing this AAR!

Quick question: how do you spend leadership points (Officers) on building divisions. Is it per division or per brigade? Or Both?

Thanks

Snoopy

AFAIK, you don't spend them. You only need certain number of them per division (or brigade?), so that your forces fight at full strentgth.

My question would be how does this number influence the divisions - is it org penalty/bonus, shattering only etc? Is it different for airforce/navy and land units (airforce/navy tends to be more officer-including NCO- heavy. IIRC any pilot in RAF was officer)

I just blew off a work meeting because I was absorbed in catching up on this AAR & thread - DAMN YOU SINGLETON MOSBY! ;)

And thanks for putting this together, you're doing a fantastic job...

My question would be how does this number influence the divisions - is it org penalty/bonus, shattering only etc? Is it different for airforce/navy and land units (airforce/navy tends to be more officer-including NCO- heavy. IIRC any pilot in RAF was officer)

They shatter more easily, but I am not sure about other effects. Maybe Singleton Mosby can give better answer.

Anyone else find those lines ugly?

I like them actually.

And here's chapter one of the encirclement battle. Two and three will be up tomorrow after which we will take a look at a nice counter by me on the Odessa Front :D

I just blew off a work meeting because I was absorbed in catching up on this AAR & thread - DAMN YOU SINGLETON MOSBY! ;)
:cool:

On the officers, I guess it has also something to do with their general fighting ability and movement speed. Which would account for the German troops being faster then mine.

Last edited:
Chapter eleven: Carnage on the Central Front, part I

On the Central Front the July battles reached their climax and it was here Stavka’s plan to utilize the vastness of Russia received its first setback.

Fighters and close-support aircrafts attempted vigorously to aid their retreating comrades. Heading straight for Minsk, refitting and some rest after more then three weeks of harsh combat, the Soviet troops withdrew as fast as they could. But, being fast was not enough, the western reaches of the marshlands and lack of a proper infrastructure seriously impeded their movement.
The lines were broken and for the first time a retreat turned into a rout.​

v79r3k.jpg

More to the north the Soviet Airforce was send out to impede the enemy advance for as long as possible. By doing so even more troops stationed on the Dvina line and just south of it would be available as reinforcements for the central front.​

2yxjgxs.jpg

At this moment, the last two weeks of July, our troops were exposed in a large bulge just to the northwest of the marshes. Retreat was the worth of the day, no more gradual withdraw, just retreat on the Stalin line and beyond.

It was clear by now my central front was bearing the brunt of the assault. Luck was on my side as their focal point was my strongest part of the line. What had ensued here was chaos and carnage but the battles on this point also one of the main reasons for the a-historic slow march of the Germans. Don’t get me wrong, they marched quicker then my troops but not quick enough.​

1zecmdv.jpg

To my surprise the situation quickly detoriated. Troops withdrawing were overtaken, moved the other way and then bypassed by oncoming Germans.
By now it was clear the enemy had refrained from creating large panzergoups to puncture big holes and instead relied on smaller forces to pierce my line at a dozen points. This strategy worked if you have only limited goals but directive Barabrossa had nothing like that in mind.
8yw5jd.jpg