• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Yes, if you don't like the nature of this AAR, don't read it. There are lots of us enjoying the insight it is providing into the nature of HOI3, regardless of the limitations placed on it due it being a preview build.

If you're bothered by it being an older preview build, then, well, sorry to say, but you don't seem to understand the game development process. I personally appreciate that Paradox is allowing the preview to be written using an older build - shows confidence on their part not only in their product, but in their community.

Judge the game when it's released, otherwise enjoy the info this AAR is providing, kind of like an extension of the development diaries.

1. It gives me something to think about. Thanks
2. It's like a daily soap opera. Thanks
3. It raises my levels of anticipation. Thanks

The big question is how long will this AAR last? From the sounds of it it seems as if the game crashes fairly early on - End 1941? Now is there enough material to keep this AAR going for another 20 days?

If not is there then going to be another AAR? Or some other goodies to distract and heighten anticipation pre-release (perhaps pre-demo release?)

So please keep it coming :)

Great AAR Singleton Mosby, keep the updates coming, they really are fantastic. :)

Haarken

Please keep updating this. I love everything about it. As long as we're making requests, could we get a screen that shows how far into China the Japanese are?

Singleton Mosby: In chapter eight you hav a large overview map of the redployments in the far east. The arrows of the redeploying units seem to correspond with an abstracted transsiberian railroad. Are there a string of high-infra provinces to simulate railroads? And are the difference in infra high compared to the neighbouring provinces so that it is actually harmful to "cut" the line?
If so, this is a major improvment when it comes to strategy...

Singleton Mosby: In chapter eight you hav a large overview map of the redployments in the far east. The arrows of the redeploying units seem to correspond with an abstracted transsiberian railroad. Are there a string of high-infra provinces to simulate railroads? And are the difference in infra high compared to the neighbouring provinces so that it is actually harmful to "cut" the line?

yes

And a bit of a service announcement: Remain civil and respectful, or I'm going to have to work on a way to have Singleton post the updates, but there being no option to reply/comment/give feedback/ask questions

Awesome!!! :D

I want my preordered copy of HoI3 to arrive now, immediately and at this very instant. ;)

Last edited:

Good catch - it actually simulates strategically valuable provinces quite well. Something similar was present in HoI2 (as for string of higher infra provs along the main route through Siberia) but it was not working perfectly due to the province sizes.

Anyway, please, pretty please, update! :D

Do not give up Singleton, no offense to Johan but this AAR is the best DD ever!
Question on your intel does it tell you the names of the enemy general's you are fighting?
Who commands which corps etc? And if it does, do they seem to perform better?
Just wondering about how the AI handles the OOB and if it knows how to use the traits

Yes, if you don't like the nature of this AAR, don't read it. There are lots of us enjoying the insight it is providing into the nature of HOI3, regardless of the limitations placed on it due it being a preview build.

For those critisizing this AAR for being based on an early build I can only agree with Dogfish. Most of the others have seen only some random screenies and read a vague preview of the game. Yes, I can't show everything but I have given you a glimps about the current workings of the AI.

Even though I am sure Paradox will improve the AI and scenario-setup before release (and they told me they are attempting to include another method of attacking), the beta already plays a lot better then HOI2.

I'll definately buy him a beer for his troubles if he ever winds up in Miami! :D

I don't drink any beer. But anything with vodka will do.

I will post a pic of this in one of the future chapters.

Do not give up Singleton, no offense to Johan but this AAR is the best DD ever!
Question on you intel does it tell you the names of the enemy general's you are fighting?
Who commands which corps? etc and if it does do they seem to perform better?

Only when I am in combat and then sometimes it does not. I am spending no leadership points at all towards my intel. At the moment I have to train all the officers I can get.

Chapter nine: The battle for Riga, Part I

Lithuania was already lost before the first gun was fired. An indefensible place it was and so hardly any troops were stationed there. It was the river Dvina Stavka eyed as their main line of resistance. We would build our main defence in front of it and then slowly retreat to the river line when commanders saw fit to do so. There was but one place designated for defence west of the river; Fortress Riga.
Baltic Front had designated it as the hinge of their defence. First we would stop the enemy on the river line, and then sweep him away from it. Once our forces had been build up sufficiently. Or,, so was the plan, wise or valiant as it might be.​

256bn9z.jpg

The void left when Western front broke apart or retreated was quickly filled with onrushing German troops. It was here as well the first Soviet divisions shattered under the weight of the enemy.​

1z65ta1.jpg

Then, at last, the enemy launched their offensive against Riga, holes were punched in the line but Red soldiers rushed in to plug them and throw the German troops out of the suburbs. The Baltic fleet moored in the gulf of Riga but was unfortunately unable to support the defence.
Assailed from three provinces casualties mounted.​

jt8h9z.jpg

Further and further our troops were pushed back into the city, the centre was lost, preparations were made for a gradual withdraw across the Dvina. But then, at the very last moment, when the battle was going against us, reinforcements arrived.
An entire mechanized corps was drawn from the line and accompanied by three infantry divisions send on to Riga. Riga’s defence was doubled in size, 150.000 troops fought the enemy to a standstill. The lines on the Dvina had been cannibalized but for now the city was saved.​

1zxwmxe.jpg

qmxooj.jpg

Yes please, and also how transfer of divisions works, i.e. if you can just transfer all of them at the same time, or if that really slows down the arrival rate.

You can but I haven't checked yet if it slows down the arrival date.

So, which chapter do you guys want next (later today); a Stavka report on the statistics or the first chapter of a bloody encirlment battle?

So, which chapter do you guys want next (later today); a Stavka report on the statistics or the first chapter of a bloody encirlment battle?

Oh, please sir, the "bloody encirclement battle" by all means. ;)

Or even better - both chapters! Puhleeze... :D

I'm interested in statistics.

Great Preview though. Before reading through this, I really didn't have a great idea of what the game would be like, even after reading all of the Dev Diaries. Nothing really seemed to add up. But now that I've seen it, things are coming together. Good Job! :cool:

OK, you stopped them at Riga. I hope the envelopment penalty goes up a bit, I find -10% rather small for such an important feat, when -20% is given to dig in.

Are there many areas of urban terrain? Riga should be one I believe...

Nice, thanks for the update, looks great!

Is it you being encircled? I would love to see an AI encirclement. :D