• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Well if anyone is going to give up buying the game due to an old beta that didn't even have Naval AI in it yet, then that's their loss. They'll come around in the end. :)

I can't believe that people are actually complaining about Singleton posting this amazing AAR/preview. I'd never had to even think about looking for an ignore feature before but certain posters in this thread have gotten beyond ridiculous.

Keep the updates coming, IMO :)

i can't believe that people are actually complaining about singleton posting this amazing aar/preview. I'd never had to even think about looking for an ignore feature before but certain posters in this thread have gotten beyond ridiculous.

Keep the updates coming, imo :)

+1

Amazing that I could entertain someone with that post :rofl:
Just look around on these forums, there is a great interest for history, and especially WW2 history. And you will soon see that many of us both read history books and enjoy the game. The more balanced the better. There is no contradiction in this.
go enterain yourself, i'll entertain myself with your post.

great AAR by the way. I've been looking forward to each update. School gets in the way though.

I like games and movies to be as historically accurate as possible. Just because i dont want things to happen exactly to a "t" like in a history book, and the fact that if the soviets do put up a good fight it doesnt bother me, doesnt mean i dont like history. I have a BC in history and i'm going for a masters in arts in military history from the Norwich University so dont get me started on history. I've been a fan since HoI1. Like you said, it is a game. If the game played out the same all of the time, then it wouldnt be much of a game. I'm not going to complain and be all :eek: if i'm playing against the Russians and they put up a good fight and delay a fast German invasion. thats all.

How can you have a real preview with non functional aspects of the game?

Sorry to be so blunt but the word preview is just that, a glance at a games features and mechanics before going gold. What you are looking for is a review, which will not be possible until the game is finnished. The next best thing to what you want would be a gold candidate presentation/online manual made by the developer staff.

Great AAR by the way, i am loving it.

I love people that think they know what they are talking about. It's irrelevant that this the internet age. I work for BioWare and we don't give previewers/reviewers updated daily builds of our games.

You wouldn´t by any chance be working on Dragon Age?? Beside Hearts of iron 3 the second game i am eagerly waiting for is Dragon Age. Different genres but so much potential in both.

Sorry for being OT.

Last edited:
Actually I am :)

But anyways...

Oh how i envy you guys in the game development industry. Being a gamedeveloper has been a dream of mine since the age of 12. Instead i work as a software engineer focused on non computer game related businesses. Silly me, silly me. I should have listened to my heart.

You guys at paradox, keep up the good work.

And you Alan, make it a blockbuster, for the sake of all us old time RPG lovers.

Am i the only one who is a little intimidated by how much it seems you need to keep a handle on? Even the Tech seems complicated. Or am I getting old.

There are a lot of things they could do to make the USSR perform worse early on. Have them stay to fight until they have very low org and take massive casualties while doing it (they will not be dug in). Keep semi-historic placement of the military (not all crowded along the border like a human USSR will do).

As for human Germany being too powerful, people hardly play historical. They attack France in 1939, don't invest IC into the navy making their army too powerful. They don't try to recreate the Blitz and thus don't need to use IC to repair planes. They leave France and the low lands with no garrison because the US\UK wouldn't attack, meaning they could focus everything on the USSR (Hopefully this is fixed as promised and they WILL attack). People made huge, gamey encirclements. All of these made Barbarossa easier.

But as for encirclements, in HOI2 you got a -50% modifier which pretty much meant they could never break out. Now you will have to either let them starve and loose org while you position your troops perfectly to attack from all directions to close the pocket, or throw them into the fight (along with your spearhead units which will slow their advance) right away. Attacking encircled units right away will drain your ORG and Manpower pretty quick, and will probably put an end to your Barbarrossa rather quickly.

I'd also like to see the Soviet AI use defense in depth, keeping units behind the front lines and force the spearheads to fight their way through them, giving the AI time to react to the attack.

Maybe we can see the Soviet AI use interdiction and infrastructure lowering attacks on spearheads to slow them down and force a German player to invest IC and research into the airforce rather than building 60 panzer divisions for Barbarossa and then complaining it was too easy. One of Germany's biggest problems was they couldn't do hardly anything under good weather or during the day because the Allies and Soviets could greatly interfere with airpower. Battle of the Bulge as a reference.

Hopefully the new Partisan system will do well at slowing down your supply lines and forcing you to deploy troops in the rear.

All in all I think making it hard on a human Germany is possible. If not, don't micromanage your units and set the East Front to AI control. Micromanage Africa and the West Front instead. Wage a large submarine war\air strategic war on the UK, even if it fails :p.

Black_Shade said:
I can't believe that people are actually complaining about Singleton posting this amazing AAR/preview. I'd never had to even think about looking for an ignore feature before but certain posters in this thread have gotten beyond ridiculous.

Agreed. Keep 'em coming, Singleton! :)

It's what happens to any forum. You end up with people being arsehats for the sake of it or arguing just to sound intelligent.

This AAR series has revealed a lot about the game and kept my interest. I would love to see a Japan versus China AAR.

Thank you for your time and effort Singleton! I'm really enjoying this AAR, it is heightening my already keen sense of anticipation for HOI3! I can't wait to read the future installments you have coming. Ignore the haters!

It's what happens to any forum. You end up with people being arsehats for the sake of it or arguing just to sound intelligent.

This AAR series has revealed a lot about the game and kept my interest. I would love to see a Japan versus China AAR.

I'd love to see a Japan vs US one, with an actual air attack on Pearl Harbor!

But alas, no Naval AI in the Press Edition... :(

I'd love to see a Japan vs US one, with an actual air attack on Pearl Harbor!

But alas, no Naval AI in the Press Edition... :(

Now that would be good! In all my years of playing HOI 2, I have never been able to do a Pearl Harbor against the AI becuase there were never ships in the harbor and you couldn't attack planes on the ground. However, I did manage to destroy over 50 fleet carriers losing only 2 of my own carriers over 4 year period. I hope the naval AI is better than that.

Now that would be good! In all my years of playing HOI 2, I have never been able to do a Pearl Harbor against the AI becuase there were never ships in the harbor and you couldn't attack planes on the ground. However, I did manage to destroy over 50 fleet carriers losing only 2 of my own carriers over 4 year period. I hope the naval AI is better than that.

I hope the Naval AI realizes if it needs to build 50 carriers to sink 2 of your's that it's doing something terribly wrong! :rolleyes:

I, for one, agree with Sparrow! Why are Paradox too lazy to build a time machine and send a release copy of the game back in time 2 months so the previews can be about release-quality?!?! Would that be too hard? If so, then the answer is simple: They should finish the game then not release it for two months (no coding a patch either!) so previewers can write about it. Actually, no...Singleton should have access to the beta, he just needs to write an entire preview for for each beta version that comes out! They'd have to be shorter, of course, and he'd have to start over for each one so'd we'd never get to see what happens later in the game, but who cares? We'd have an up-to-date preview, and that's all that matters!

:rolleyes:

On the basis of Singleton's Barbarossa AAR I've gone and put in my pre-order for the game, so eagerly awaiting August now... though thank's to having to wait for it to be shipped here, then couriered to my desk I'm having to wait probably an extra couple of days, but it'll certainly be worth it. Should give me time to finish my current HOI2 game that I've been pottering along on

I, for one, agree with Sparrow! Why are Paradox too lazy to build a time machine and send a release copy of the game back in time 2 months so the previews can be about release-quality?!?! Would that be too hard? If so, then the answer is simple: They should finish the game then not release it for two months (no coding a patch either!) so previewers can write about it. Actually, no...Singleton should have access to the beta, he just needs to write an entire preview for for each beta version that comes out! They'd have to be shorter, of course, and he'd have to start over for each one so'd we'd never get to see what happens later in the game, but who cares? We'd have an up-to-date preview, and that's all that matters!

:rolleyes:

Congrats for being an ass and missing the point.