• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter seven: a desperate fight

To the west the Stalin line is taking shape and I can finally order the Western Front to withdraw from the punishing blows of the German army. At the place where the German and Hungarian borders meet no ground has been lost yet and only now the Germans start hitting my lines. Unknown to me at the moment I will have to fight for this place once more in less then a month. Not to defend it but to recapture it in a desperate attempt to save the better part of an army. I withdraw my flanks but the distance I have to cover to the Stalin line is further then the ground the Germans and Hungarians have to capture. Once my frontline is broken there is nothing to hold them back for as much as 100 kilometres. Within a week the situation will be considerable worsened by the advance of the supposedly weak Hungarian forces.​

1tk7tj.jpg

Further to the north the fighting is hard. Almost every battle is lost and my losses are always 1.5 to twice as high as those of the Germans. Even though my forces outnumber theirs most of the time. I am doing better then the Soviets did IRL however, holding back the onrushing German panzers for more then ten days and having only lost 30-50 km’s of ground.

As the 21st corps illustrates the losses for this ‘minor defensive success’ are huge. Within ten days 32% of their soldiers are casualties. Which amounts to 9,000 out of 39,000. An astonishing figure.
Before long the 4th corps, 3rd Armies second corps, will take over from them and cover the retreat of the nearly shattered forces. To make matters worse five Fliegerkorps’ start bombing and straffing the 21st, seriously hampering their withdrawal.​

30usqbq.jpg

iy0bbd.jpg

Here, in the area the 21st will retreat to, three corps’ of Stavka reserves have taken position. They are at only 1/3 strength and still mobilizing but I hope the terrain, the western reaches of the Pripjet marches, will grant them the time they need to build strength.

If we now take a look at the entire central front we can see a good defensive line shaping up. Western Front units will have to withdraw behind this protective screen as good as they can and proceed to take up positions within the line when they are fit enough to do so. Again the same problem plagues me however, the enemy advances quicker then my troops are able to withdraw.
30ubabr.jpg

Quite a difference from the HOI2 tactical and strategic depth, these battles, ain’t it?

Last edited:
I want to play HoI3 now... :(

You know, Singleton Mosby, you are making it really hard to wait.

;)

Same for me actually as I can't play the game for real, only the unfinished Beta (and I will leave on vacation on August 9th...:()

This question was brought up in another thread, but I will ask it here too:

Does upgrading units increase practical values like building them does?

Last edited:
21 days to go!

A stupid question though - Why bring it out on a Tuesday? I assumed that it would come out on Friday giving 2 1/2 days of solid playing before returning to work. With a Tuesday release .....:(

Anyway thanks for the installments Singleton.One quick question though - when the reinforcements arrive can you place them anywhere in national territory or are you restricted? i.e. can they be formed just behind the front and them moved up once their org is ok (or you're desperate) or are they treated like shattered units and reconstituted at the capital and then moved up from there.

It's very interesting to look at how the way of fighting a war has changed in HoI3. I like it :D

Chapter seven: a desperate fight

Before long the 4th corps, 3rd Armies second corps, will take over from them and cover the retreat of the nearly shattered forces. To make matters worse five Fliegerkorps’ start bombing and straffing the 21st, seriously hampering their withdrawal.

just a question. Does enemy Interdiction, bombing etc hamper troop movement like reducing its speed besides lowering the units stats? Just a suggestion, shouldn't a units moving speed be lowered for a while and for a bit, during and a bit after it has been hit by air? Like illustrating the time needed to reorganize the units movement, gather the dead, move the destroyed vehicles off the road etc....

Unknown to me at the moment I will have to fight for this place once more in less then a month. Not to defend it but to recapture it in a desperate attempt to save the better part of an army.

This is totally unfair.
You have no right to start your update with a cliff-hanger. Now my mind is racing. If you do not do another update today how the hell will I be able to sleep!!!!!

Very nicely done Sir.

Did you forget to link this one?

Eh, yes. And I can't find it either....Will make a new screenie of it later on.

just a question. Does enemy Interdiction, bombing etc hamper troop movement like reducing its speed besides lowering the units stats? Just a suggestion, shouldn't a units moving speed be lowered for a while and for a bit, during and a bit after it has been hit by air? Like illustrating the time needed to reorganize the units movement, gather the dead, move the destroyed vehicles off the road etc....

It seems like it as they were extremely slow in getting out of there.

This is totally unfair.
You have no right to start your update with a cliff-hanger. Now my mind is racing. If you do not do another update today how the hell will I be able to sleep!!!!!

Very nicely done Sir.

I suggest you get some sleep as it will be a long time before I write about it ;)

AFAIK, it is related to how attack is going. At the same time the defender is pushed back by same amount.

That means when the defender is pushed out of a province that is the end of the battle, right? Also, if you retreat, is it possible the attacker pursues and deals you more damage before you escape?

That means when the defender is pushed out of a province that is the end of the battle, right? Also, if you retreat, is it possible the attacker pursues and deals you more damage before you escape?

There is possiblity that you run out of organisation before you run out of land, so you can lose / win that way too.

Paradox has implemented the feature of AI control of various fronts. I hope the finished version will have a feature to AI - control my home-front, work-front and relationship- front and leave me free to take control of the HOI3 front.

There is, and that is one main new features.

Edit. On the first page you can see in those screenshots that "< Normal >" (Technology, Intelligence and Production screens) and "< AI Control >" (Diplomacy). You use those to change AI control.

I guess playing smart with the Soviets and their huge starting army will allow to stop the Germans very quickly. I'm afraid the historical result might be obtained by doing what the Soviets actually did (so the HOI3 engine is ok and Soviets don't need to be nerfed in unit numbers or stats, it's just their HQ should act stupid).

The plan: throw your units at the Germans right on 22nd June (target: Berlin and Bucharest, mode: Blitzkrieg - for those who will use AI) and never retreat at will, fight until destroyed or shattered. Finally, throw divisions that are recreated after shattering immediately to fight, without waiting for them to rebuild to full strength. Attack with your TACs and CASs without air superiority until destroyed. Apply this from June to December.

In the first half of 1942 you might wait to rebuild shattered units to 50-75% but still throw all you have at the Germans.

In second half of 1942 you may execute some retreats if the Germans are encircling you, and are not obliged to attack at odds lower than 1:1, plus you may start to attempt your first encirclements. Start building fighters to protect your bombers.

Starting from 1943 onwards, allow your troops to buildup 3:1 superiority before launching offensives, but while on the offensive don't stop until your forces are completely spent.

Of course, during all this time build hordes of small infantry divisions and dozens of medium-sized tank units with maximum "gearing" bonuses if such things exist in HOI3.

--

As for the mixed ownership of former Polish territories (SOV owns them, GER occupies) visible on screenshots, I believe that Pdox anticipates the future border between communits puppet Poland and Soviet Union and already hands over those territories in 1939 to SU, while the western half is under German occupation as the Goverment in Exile exists. Remember that they have to keep Poland (and Allies she's part of), out of war with Soviet Union, so they may not have a choice here due to engine constraints. Of course I'm not happy with that representation but I accept it, as I think it can't be done better.