• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter six: Italy, the backwater campaign, part II

As the order to withdraw from reaches the front-line unit at midnight of the 20th reaches the troops the 17 divisions attempt to break free from combat. However, in several parts of the front the German troops are unable to break contact and an orderly and unopposed withdraw will be out of the question.
At dawn most of the divisions are conducting a fighting withdraw, although not successful all along the front. Shifting the line of combat a hundred kilometres to the north is no easy task. Organisation had suffered during the night-time movement and when the Commonwealth and American divisions renew their attack in the morning chaos ensues in the rear. Commander of Heeresgruppe C; von Küch has seen enough and orders a retreat while he attempts speeding up the troops marching to man the Gothic line.

ok2a8z.jpg

xeq5qh.jpg

do5usj.jpg

xpdhls.jpg

From the West more troops are brought to the front as first two, then three corps are taken from Blaskowitchs Heeresgrupp G defending the coast of Southern France. Depleted divisions taken back from the Italian front will replace these forces, at least, that is the plan.
23i9zba.jpg

Later that week, the first troops arrive at the “Genghis Khan” line from the East. Their comrades on the “Gothic line” are digging in. On the front the pressure grows and the withdraw becomes ever more chaotic. No real panic yet however.​

23r984p.jpg

mwbdqf.jpg

Woots.

I come back, and we have promise of a DEMO tomorrow, a manual today..

And I may get a preorder! wohoo!

Cheers;
nick

EDIT: Fixed

Last edited:
Enjoy your time in the sun Singleton!

Once that demo is out, its going to be over!

I have really enjoyed your AAR's though and thank you for putting forth the time and effort to do it!

I dont wanna play Mr. Smarta** to someone who probably knows this, but: Did you try to slow the allies with your mobile forces, while your unmotorized units were on the withdrawel? You know, like attacking here once, then there, just to carve out an hour here, half a day there...

You'd have to be a micromanagement beast, even at slow speeds.

With 3 fronts going on, micromanaging the attacks in a small section is going to be painful.

And the whole other fronts too.

Cheers;
Nick

Well done again, I look forward to your review of the game and possible AAR's in the future.

So are the Polish troops owned by the Polish GiE, or by the UK?

Singleton, would you care for making a demo AAR? :D

No fears of Operation Dragoon?

No, as there isn't naval AI in this beta.

True, but so far I had done nothing which I wouldn't have done if there was a naval AI. I would take my troops from southern France to make sure the Italian front (which is really weak) doesn't collapse and take the risk of losing the Cote de' Azure.

Singleton, would you care for making a demo AAR? :D

I don't think that would be very usefull, I won't tell you much new as all of you will be playing it as well. Thus, I will wait for the review version and then write my review which will be pratically an analytic AAR.

You'd have to be a micromanagement beast, even at slow speeds.

With 3 fronts going on, micromanaging the attacks in a small section is going to be painful.

And the whole other fronts too.

Cheers;
Nick

Well, at first I thought the Barbarossa scenario was massive but scale of Gotterdamerung almost makes you feel hit by a train. This thing is huge and you don't have time to micro every front. You will be in Italy, play for a few hours, manage the battle at Narva, hop over to Romania and then unpause for two or three hours before you take a look at the battlefield of Normandy.
It is massive fun nevertheless.

Well done again, I look forward to your review of the game and possible AAR's in the future.

Thanks a lot for all the compliments and support guys. For sure you will see more AAR's written by me in the future. I am planning for a long time now on re-writing my 'Into Russia with SS-Wiking' AAR. The story of a Dutch lad who goes east to fight the Red horde and finds out the Nazis are as bad as his adversaries. It will read like a diary and a personal account and I will probably start in September. :cool:

True, but so far I had done nothing which I wouldn't have done if there was a naval AI. I would take my troops from southern France to make sure the Italian front (which is really weak) doesn't collapse and take the risk of losing the Cote de' Azure.

I don't think that would be very usefull, I won't tell you much new as all of you will be playing it as well. Thus, I will wait for the review version and then write my review which will be pratically an analytic AAR.

Well, at first I thought the Barbarossa scenario was massive but scale of Gotterdamerung almost makes you feel hit by a train. This thing is huge and you don't have time to micro every front. You will be in Italy, play for a few hours, manage the battle at Narva, hop over to Romania and then unpause for two or three hours before you take a look at the battlefield of Normandy.
It is massive fun nevertheless.

Thanks a lot for all the compliments and support guys. For sure you will see more AAR's written by me in the future. I am planning for a long time now on re-writing my 'Into Russia with SS-Wiking' AAR. The story of a Dutch lad who goes east to fight the Red horde and finds out the Nazis are as bad as his adversaries. It will read like a diary and a personal account and I will probably start in September. :cool:

Just seeing your explanations and screens of the differents campaigns on the Beta from the begining, I am able to last this long waiting. Thank you all.

Niiiice!

"This unit is dug in and has digging in for 2 days. The
Maximum preparation possible for our country is 10 days"

I suspect people that like WW1 mods will have a lot more tools at their disposal.