• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
They like having things historically accurate and find the information on websites/books :)

I'd say there's a darker passion behind this... but that one goes with every WW2 grand strategy.

If we're gonna go ueber realistic, it might also be important to mimick the corelation between the times HQs issued orders and the times the CO were sleeping, or eating, or in the bathroom... How could have Rommel issued that order when he was in the can at that specific second?

Overall, the level of realism and sticking to historic trivia should be on the level that simulates the overall balance of power dynamicaly, not just on the start date of the scenario, but over a certain period of time that in a hands-free game, a front develops similarly to history.

I'd say there's a darker passion behind this... but that one goes with every WW2 grand strategy.

If we're gonna go ueber realistic, it might also be important to mimick the corelation between the times HQs issued orders and the times the CO were sleeping, or eating, or in the bathroom... How could have Rommel issued that order when he was in the can at that specific second?

Overall, the level of realism and sticking to historic trivia should be on the level that simulates the overall balance of power dynamicaly, not just on the start date of the scenario, but over a certain period of time that in a hands-free game, a front develops similarly to history.

Well, its more like when a guy is dead and still leads an army... Seems silly. Most of the complaints is about how scenarios starts, which have a fixed point in time that they start. After that point it is as you say, hands-free. That you want historical accuracy when you start is not really a darker passion, unless you want to call all passions that :) Though I do wonder why no one has complained much about the Russian troops. Might be because they are not so interesting, i mean really. The German uniforms was just awesome :D

obviously they took their adjudants or radio-operators with them in the bathroom/bedroom... god knows rohm and many others leaders in the SA loved doing that...

Chapter four: The worst front of all

Then we arrive at a front familiar to those who have read the first two AARs; the Eastern-front.
There were more holes in the front-line then there are in an Edammer (or Swiss) cheese. This was not just a little bad, it meant the Germans, in order to survive, would have to withdraw to a more favourable position, shorten their lines and dig in. The odds were against them, roughly 3 to one in men. And, while new T-34's reached the front every hour, the arrival of some brand-new panzers was a rare occasion.
A long story short; Germany was 'Zerged'.

xqlz53.jpg

148f8cg.jpg

9gc4l4.jpg

2dlw4t2.jpg

b4xds9.jpg

Having seen all it is time to take up arms and fight!

But not before we have taken a look at the tech. and production screen (just for those who like it ;)).

dell61.jpg

mkjk93.jpg

hey there people. I'm in a holiday atm in Uruguay. I'll be back in Monday afternoon E USA time.

Cheers;
Nick

Now, that's an interesting nation to play in the Vicky-HOI period....

Sorry for OT but 440,006 views, not bad.
Are the steak knifes allready at home ? ;)

I guess they are inspected at the customs office atm....

People in this thread should relax about Degrelle. The reason he's in charge was because he was auto-assigned, most likely. HoI games never gave you historical leader placements, and probably never will.

I don't really mind as long as this sort of thing would not happen with an ACW game :p but, I guess Degrelle was never a general.

Why do you people know exact composition of SS divisions and care about their exact representation in HOI3?

More important, how do they keep remembering the stuff. I have read a 1200 pages history of the 12th SS Hitlerjugend (stackpole rules!) about a year ago but I don't remember the regimental numbers......

the eastern front HQ only asks for 32 armored divsions? Shouldn't they be screaming like little girls for everything they can get, a few hundred infantry divisions first among it?

But dear god, those giant gaps in the line. I think you will have to withdraw at several points just to build up a coherent front. Normally I would advise you to pull back your armor and reorganize it to make a breakthrough through the sovjet lines when they give you and opportunity, but it looks like you will need them just to hold the line...

the eastern front HQ only asks for 32 armored divsions? Shouldn't they be screaming like little girls for everything they can get, a few hundred infantry divisions first among it?

But dear god, those giant gaps in the line. I think you will have to withdraw at several points just to build up a coherent front. Normally I would advise you to pull back your armor and reorganize it to make a breakthrough through the sovjet lines when they give you and opportunity, but it looks like you will need them just to hold the line...

I'm not sure, but I think that when HQ's ask for units they only ask for generic divisions, thus it is asking for 32 divisions of anything, not 32 armoured (but I might be wrong).

Heres my advice for the eastern front:
Pull back the exposed parts of the line and bring up all strategic reserves to an operation reserve (like 2 provinces back from the front) and move all operational reserves to the critical points on the front. Don't bother to reorganize your armour as even operational reserves; treat them as infantry divisions for now except that they move faster. As you pull back do not counterattack to hold extra ground; only counterattack to avoid encirclement.

Once you have a coherent line than isn't on the verge of collapse you can start to pull back armoured, mechanized, and motorised divisions and keep them as operational reserves (you should have no strategic reserves at any time ever). Once you can limit Soviet advances to a localized level thats when you strike; bring as many mobile units from nearby operatioal reserves and strike the base of the bulge. In these scenarios where you think you can cut off the Soviet offensive leave the exposed front line units where they are; it is crucial that they absorb as much punishment as possible. I highly suggest that in the provinces near but not exposed to the offensive that you launch infantry attacks leaving no reserves to draw units away from the soviet offensive (don't try to pull back front line units to become reserves because if you have that luxury you should attack because it is essential that the Soviet units that are supposed to be the second and third waves of the offensive be drawn away from that task). Once your mobile reserves arrive you must attack only when the base of the Soviet bulge is weak enough to destroy; you must attack only at the decive moment because after the attack your mobile reserves need to hold the front line. Once you have created a pocket hold the corridor as hard as you can by throwing everything you have including air power if necessary. Once the units sent to relieve the encircled forces are spent, then and only then do you eliminate the bulge by whatever forces you can spare (even occupational units will do). Although you will drain considerable strength from each unit using these strategies, you will maximize the potential of creating a sizable pocket with a weak base.

I'm not sure, but I think that when HQ's ask for units they only ask for generic divisions, thus it is asking for 32 divisions of anything, not 32 armoured (but I might be wrong).

The icon signifies tank, no specific tank though

Last edited:
Is it requesting brigades or is it requesting divisions?

Looking at Operation Bagration, I realized that you have to keep in mind one thing more than anything else; prevent the Soviets from cutting off Riga and the entire northern Baltic region. Pull back all those baltic forces to the Riga region as fast as possible; if you don't you could lose 20+ divisions. I know I said don't have a strategic reserve but in this case you need to have reserves asap in the region west of Riga.