+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is it only the practical tech value that influences build time?

Hearts of Iron III

Is it only the practical tech value that influences build time?

Is it only the practical tech value that influences build time!

Looking at the tech tabs i have noticed that the equivalent of "assembly lines" from hoi2 does not exist. Have anybody else noticed any information about technologies that speed up production of different military branches? like ship assembly lines or similar?

// Jocke

Lt. General
    EU3 CompleteVictoria: Revolutions

+ the theoretical value
    ˇAy, caramba!
    I'm going down to the Great river of Mississippi!!!!!

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIEast India CompanyEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneVictoria: Revolutions
    Rome GoldSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedMount & Blade: Warband
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword

Quote Originally Posted by PIT_AMERO View Post
    + the theoretical value
    Are you sure about that?

Philosopher of the Future Alexander Seil's Avatar
    Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Hearts of Iron IIIVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeSemper FiRome: Vae Victis

Pretty sure theoretical value has nothing to do with building stuff.

For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourSemper FiEuropa Universalis IV

Ya i was under the impression theorectical value only added to research speed.
    There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Lt. General
    EU3 CompleteVictoria: Revolutions

Opa, sorry, I read "research time".
    ˇAy, caramba!
    I'm going down to the Great river of Mississippi!!!!!

Hearts of Iron III

So nobody remembers this being mentioned before somewhere?

I wonder if "assembly lines" are incorporated into the practical value, that would be a pitty in my opinion. I always saw for example ship assembly line as a research choice to focus on building ships, like gearing certain parts of the industry towards shipbuilding. I guess this can be modded in, i would put each assembly line tech right under Advanced construction engineering (as a prerequesite), one shot techs with the historic year 1940 as in HOI2. I just hope there are modding parameters like ship_building_efficiency=0.15 (meaning 15 % faster building) that can be used as technology effects for these new techs

As i have no idea how the practical values influences build time and by what magnitude, modding might be unnecessary. We´ll just have to wait and see i guess. An official word on this from paradox would be preferable.

I think the new system is better. After all in the reality it was not "We build ships one by one" and the SUDDENLY(no, not catgirls ) "Look, we've got a freakin' cool assembly line system, now we'll build our single battleship a lot faster". It was more like a gradual improvement of the overall industry efficiency as this industry adapted itself to the increasing demand of, say, ships. The practical research value represents the fact that some industries switch completely to shipbuilding, then start to develop new technologies(like assembly line, but not only) in order to work in a more efficient way, and maybe end up with fully functional assembly lines assuming there is enough demand to keep those working(an assembly line for 1 single ship hardly has any sense; it would more likely slow down the construction than accelerate it). After all, it would be highly unlickely that any kind of, for instance, Battleship Hulls assembly line would be ever developped and built unless there is a HUGE demand on battleships.

Quote Originally Posted by Amallric View Post
    After all, it would be highly unlickely that any kind of, for instance, Battleship Hulls assembly line would be ever developped and built unless there is a HUGE demand on battleships.
    There are assembly lines for low demand items. If you have ever seen how they build modern war ships, it is all on "assembly lines".

Lets say it takes you 6 months to build a section of the ship, and you have an order for 5 ships. 5 ships is not a big order, but the 6 months per section is a long time. You would then create an assembly line so that while the section is in the middle part of construction you can start a new ship. Instead of taking a year to build 2 sections, you might be able to make 3 in that time.

An extra ship a year can make a huge difference, especially if you have to make 20ish ships. Now if you have 100 ships to build, you might have multiple assembly lines

Plus, it keeps your labor all focusing on a narrow aspect of the ship. This makes construction more efficient, have less errors, and makes it harder for people to get and sell information about the ship.

I would personally like to see assembly lines in the game. While you would not make one ship at a time during war in real life (in many cases), you can have multiple assembly lines for a class of ship. Modern ships are built in pieces, than assembled as a whole. That is much easier to do with an assembly line than all in one place. (Although I have completely spaced on how they built ships during WW2).

As we haven't seen many of the industrial techs tooltips we can't know if any of them reduced build times.

There are 4 techs named similarly to ones from HoI2 (Industrial Production, Industrial Efficiency, Construction Engineering, Advanced Construction Engineering) that could potentially reduce build times. Especially as there is a seperate Supply Production tech which reduces the possibility that the Industrial Production/Efficiency techs just increase the number of supplies produced like in HoI2.

Hearts of Iron III

Quote Originally Posted by Katarian View Post
    As we haven't seen many of the industrial techs tooltips we can't know if any of them reduced build times.

There are 4 techs named similarly to ones from HoI2 (Industrial Production, Industrial Efficiency, Construction Engineering, Advanced Construction Engineering) that could potentially reduce build times. Especially as there is a seperate Supply Production tech which reduces the possibility that the Industrial Production/Efficiency techs just increase the number of supplies produced like in HoI2.
    True true. I only hope that there are ways of seriously reducing build time for military units. In many examples i see like 128 days to produce a single infantry brigade, by 1941 it should be possible to bring that down to about 3 months (90 days) if not even faster. But that is just my opinion.

Hearts of Iron III

Where is the moderators when you need them. damn those bots. Please use the banhammer on homeloans86.

Star Swirl the Bearded Baneslave's Avatar
    HoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDarkest Hour
    Deus VultEuropa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The Glory
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneLeviathan: Warships
    The Kings CrusadeMagickaMajesty 2March of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeRome GoldSemper FiSengoku
    Supreme Ruler 2020 GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis
    Mount & Blade: WarbandRise of PrussiaCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by jocke_p View Post
    Where is the moderators when you need them. damn those bots. Please use the banhammer on homeloans86.
    You should contact moderators with a PM. Check one from forum's list.

I second that

this is the only text shown outside, so i better not put anything silly here
    I just hope there are modding parameters like ship_building_efficiency=0.15 (meaning 15 % faster building) that can be used as technology effects for these new techs
    hehe you don't know paradox? if anything, game will be more moddable than ever

endor: there certainly WERE ship assembly lines. Just look at the Liberty Ships if that's not an assembly line, I'll dig up Henry Ford's corpse and engage in necrophilia with it.

Hearts of Iron III

Quote Originally Posted by Clamence View Post
    hehe you don't know paradox? if anything, game will be more moddable than ever
    of that i am sure but that statement is some distance away from saying that there are modding parameters for what i need in my example. If there are no other techs that manipulate build time for different "unit types" or rather "unit groups", then perhaps they have forgotten the need for it. But seriously though, i am fully confident that we will somehow be able to do something similar to what i wanted.

The modding possibilities mentioned so far for HOI3 is fantastic, paradox has proven that they value the modding community time and time again, i am certainly not that worried.

+ Reply to Thread