• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I did a look over of all of the counties in Veld's alternate "Stamford Bridge" scenario
I think you're going at this backwards. Counties can play with using their liege's armies to do things, but there's no need (in fact, almost no ability) to conquer anything.

Since nobody really does gameplay AARs, I've never seen [opportunistic marriages] in action and don't have a good grasp on how to do it
Well, find a count or a dynasty you like, and let's fix that. :D

You will find that it will require some patience. There are very few 1066 heiresses and pretty much everyone with an interest in such things goes after the heiress to Aquitaine, which at the time was the richest part of France. Other than her, you pretty much have to wait until at least (1066 + 16 =) 1082 for the first batch of game-produced heiresses to mature.

Then again, Aquitaine could be fun: France, Provence, Spain, Brittany, England are all pretty close at hand and you can start with whatever culture liege you'd like. (Basque? :))

Porto (Porto and Castelo Branco)
Although it varies from patch to patch, it's generally suggested n00bs stay away from Spain. It's only slightly less masochistic than Nubia, especially if you're not the king and able to direct all of your armies.

Reggio (Reggio, Messina)
might be a lot of fun, but the Hautevilles are one of the few dynasties that start vanilla CK with a salic law: you simply can't inherit until they change it. You'd need to look east or west for marriages or be willing to reload a lot as your king steals your sieges in Sicily and Tunisia.

...and I don't have the modding ability to add claims and the like by a long shot.)
It's easier to do than to explain, but if you were curious and using it for educational purposes:

First, start the game, save the game.

Download the provincial ID map here. Find your county's code.

Open the save game in a simple text processor (Notepad works great; you might consider using it as your default for .eug files.)

Use the scroll bar to go to the bottom of the (very long) file.

CTRL+F search upwards for your country's code, plus a C before it. So if you're province 003, CTRL+F for "C003".

That should put you in the middle of your county's info: look for the line that starts
Code:
ruler = { character = { type = 4712 id = 1234567 }
and write down your character's ID number.

Then look for the province number you want the claim on. (Ducal and royal tags are here.)

CTRL+F search upwards for the provincial number, plus a C before it. If that takes you to the province's county info, skip it, go up one more. You'll be in a part of the save file that looks like this:

Code:
title = { 
    tag = C003 
    tier = county 
    liege = ---- 
    holder = { character = { type = 4712 id = 1470343 } startdate = { year = 1153 month = december day = 6 } } 
    claim = { id = { type = 4712 id = 38093 } character = { type = 4712 id = 1430147 } date = { year = 1074 month = february day = 13 } }
}

All you do is add a claim line to this list using your character's ID # and a unique (ie, very big) claim ID #.

Code:
title = { 
    tag = C003 
    tier = county 
    liege = ---- 
    holder = { character = { type = 4712 id = 1470343 } startdate = { year = 1153 month = december day = 6 } } 
    claim = { id = { type = 4712 id = 38093 } character = { type = 4712 id = 1430147 } date = { year = 1074 month = february day = 13 } }
[color=yellow]claim = { id = { type = 4712 id = 111138093 } character = { type = 4712 id = 1234567 } date = { year = 1074 month = february day = 13 }[/color] }
}

Last edited:
I did a look over of all of the counties in Veld's alternate "Stamford Bridge" scenario to find the ones that start with two provinces. I found:

As a count, most of the time it doesn't matter how many provinces you have, or how rich they are.
Even if you are a rich guy, you won't have enough troops to win a war on your own, even if you have troops, the king and dukes of your country will steal the siege from you.

Even as a one province, poor count, you can marry and inherit a duchy or country. You can alway afford the few gold pieces needed to kill a few months old kid (who is before you in the line of inheritance) :eek:

Choose a count with a cool looking ruler, or a historically big family (Plantaganet, Hohenzollern, etc.), don't overdo the income things.

Wow, annexed by the Emperor. That's happened to me more times than I would like!

I know this is armchair generalship, but I would have gone with the 14 steward even if disloyal. 4 stewardship is crippling and hopefully the 14 would make more money than they would steal from you.

I've taken the Caracassone crusading route before. Just damn the prestige hits and declare war again if your liege white peaces.

Going back to TASS (I've poked around in the Stamford Bridge alternative scenario / map but something just didn't feel right -- it'd be great if I were going to play one of the fractured British factions, but it feels like there's something "off" in some other regards), I'm still looking at Dauphine Viennois as a possible choice. Geographically not a big change from Lombardia, but it does have some potential:

-- Guiges d'Albon is a young, competent, unmaried ruler. Both the County of Forez and the Duchy of Provence have semi-salic primogeniture and the potential for inheritances. Forez has a young, only-child daughter (Age 1, so won't be marrying for a while) and an unmarried adult sister, so it would require some assassinations (at a minimum, you'd need to assassinate the brother of the Count of Forez, as well as any sons that might come along). Provence also has a sister (age 9) and a daughter (age 3), and no other male heirs until the cousin until the cousin who is Count of Forcalquier, so again, that would take some time to bring about, but it could happen.

-- Dauphine Viennois is an economically-strong province (base income 3.60), and Count Guiges has a modified stewardship of 26, so money isn't a problem.

-- In addition to inheritance potential for Forez, the county seems to have a habit of revolting against Heinrich (it's a direct vassal of the king). With a title grab (or, if lucky, an event), Guiges can snatch up Lyon and/or Forez and form the Duchy of Dauphine.

-- Long-term goal of forming Burgundy. Most of the constituent provinces that aren't part of the Duchy of Provence are counties that swear directly to the King of Germany, so it would be possible to pick them off one by one over time as they experience bouts of independence.

-- On the downside, Count Guiges has low Intrigue (7 unmodified) and isn't exactly a Martial wonder (5 unmodified). Not even counting Guiges, there are three unmarried adult male d'Albons in the county, though, so it's entirely possible to "bridal shop" for some top advisors.

-- There's also a relatively young d'Albon narrative (rather than gameplay) AAR already ongoing.

Thoughts? Other recommendations? I'd really like to make sure that wherever I end up, I have an early opportunity to get into the inheritance game, because it's something that (1) I really need to get a better handle on in general, and (2) I think would be pretty beneficial to newcomers, as inheritance of "new lands" is (in my opinion) one of the trickiest things to be good (or even decent) at for a more inexperienced player like myself.

I'm also curious as to how the player might try to finagle it so that if a king creates a ducal title (for example, if Heinrich created the Duchy of Upper Burgundy title while I'm playing as the Hapsburgs of Aargau), the king will bestow that title upon the player's count. Does having high relations help? Does this ever even happen?

Cheers.

Choose a count with a cool looking ruler, or a historically big family (Plantaganet, Hohenzollern, etc.), don't overdo the income things.

Turns out that the Count of Tourraine meets both of these criteria -- Foulques 'le Rechin' Plantaganet, the slightly-younger brother (and rival) of the Duke of Anjou. However, he doesn't start with a large family (or much of one at all), and for some reason his wife is the Chancellor of Anjou and isn't even in his court. Without anyone to marry off, he'll probably miss out on his shot to marry Agnes d'Aquitaine... unless he assassinates his own wife. :eek: Foulques is also first in line to inherit the Duchy of Anjou, and careful... management... of his brother's offspring could keep it that way (although with only two years separating them, there's no guarantee that Foulques won't predecease Geoffrey). There's also the theoretical possibility of somehow getting a claim on the Duchy of Brittany and using the King of France to go win that for him, but I don't know how that would be possible without any prestige for grabbity goodness -- a quick glance reveals that on Very Hard, grabbing the Duchy of Brittany costs an outrageous 3,500 Prestige).

Just something else for me to ponder.

Cheers.

Is that an ironic :eek:?

Why whatever do you mean? It is shock and alarm at the very notion of such an act!

Because my posts don't have enough sarcasm in them already. :p

Cheers.

Edit: I believe that I have settled on Dauphine Viennois for pretty much the reasons I listed above, unless I am struck by a slam dunk of an idea or recommendation. I probably won't get started on it right away, because I want to do a bit of touching up to the blank-version map that I use to make my own maps in order to streamline the process a bit, and that could take a while, but hopefully I'll be kicking it off soon.