• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Llywelyn said:
You didn't pause the game as soon as the siege ended and Pisa's flag went up over Piombino? That's when they would've given you their cash (although it's even odds whether Pisa annexes them before they reply).
By the time Pisa's siege had concluded, Piombino didn't have any money left anyway, unfortunately.

I should be playing the next 20 years this weekend and start getting posts up for them next week. In the meantime, I've been playing a side game as Apulia (on Very Hard / Coward, I think) that's seeing a lot of success. Robert Guiscard refuses to die, so he's about 68 years old and is King of Sicily, while Bohemond is in line for the inheritance (unfortunately Bohemond somehow picked up the Trusting trait, so his intrigue isn't very impressive, but he's still miles better than Guiscard's other two sons). I'm hoping to incorporate some of what I've learned / how I've succeeded in the Apulia game into the Lombardy game, so we'll see how that goes. Of course, if Germany would hurry up and fall apart, my life would be made that much easier.

Cheers.

Of course, if Germany would hurry up and fall apart, my life would be made that much easier.

Well, if you're role playing, yeah, you'll need some patience.

If you're trying to learn how to power game, might as well take the time to annex Sicily or some other Muslim minors further away from Germany. It's free cash and functions as insurance.

Keeping them in your demesne will almost certainly set off the can't-keep-it-together events in DV that fill it up with criminals and kill off the manpower, but Heinrich won't have claims on it and worse comes to worst you'll have some place to fall back to if he does end up DOWing you.

Non-neighboring states will usually be fine with being bought off by your entire treasury (you can even spend most of it first; just be careful about getting more come the first of the month), but former lieges with lots of claims and neighboring demesne tend to be more implacable.

World1080.png

From this map (which is lovely, btw,) it looks like Sicily is your best bet (but give Palermo to a vassal). Depending on whom they're allied to, you might instead try strikes at Venice, the Balearics, Valencia (which connects to Genoa via trade routes, allowing you to italicize Spain; the next link over is Sevilla, which is rich and looks very weak)...

Of course, you've already established a fine tradition of stabbing your allies: if Henry doesn't have claims already, go after Pisa! :p

Last edited:
Lly, why give Palermo to a vassal?
Roleplay-wise, because if it's a good enough place for Stupor Mundi to get raised, it's good enough for a buncha Lombard brats.

Gameplay-wise, DVIP supposedly improves the vanilla "Your demesne is too spread-out" events, but while I've never dug through them myself, I imagine they will fire for a Milanese-based duchy holding Sicilian land. Palermo under a vassal with scutage is better than a bombed-out, Mafia-ridden Palermo in revolt, demesne or no.

If I'm wrong and a landlocked Milan counts as the same region as Sicily :)confused:), then there's nothing wrong with holding Palermo.

However, in my own games, I've started experimenting with leaving larger, richer cities with my vassals explicitly to keep from paying the ridiculous wages XIth century armies seem to expect.* Naturally, you have to be in pretty good straits for this to work: you need to be able to revoke it if he turns rebellious, eg, without your other vassals getting so pissed off they start a civil war. For the most part, though, I never seem to have much problem using my vassals to keep each other in line, meaning I never actually have a reason to keep the largest armies under my own banner.

Not that I'd give up Constantinople, mind, but generally speaking.

*Also because atm my Nubia game is using the Jewish religion slot for Coptic Monophysitism, meaning that at any moment I could get a Crusade called against Alexandria or Jerusalem. Instead of not holding them, I just leave them with some hapless courtier or local lord and, uh, fail to hear from their couriers until it's too late to do anything.

From this map (which is lovely, btw,) it looks like Sicily is your best bet (but give Palermo to a vassal). Depending on whom they're allied to, you might instead try strikes at Venice, the Balearics, Valencia (which connects to Genoa via trade routes, allowing you to italicize Spain; the next link over is Sevilla, which is rich and looks very weak)...

Unfortunately, the map is somewhat misleading: Rather than being broken up by a bunch of Muslim factions, Sicily is actually divided among Romagna (Trapani), Caligari (Agrigento), Venice (Palermo), and the Duchy of Apulia (Messina). The Shiekdom of Syracusa is still alive and kicking, so I could strike out after them. I could also try somewhere dinky like Menorca, or go for one of the independent Christian factions in the region -- Urbino and Ancona are both independent and have weak allies, Romagna is also independent but is in a slightly better position, or I could take a whack at Naples or Salerno (or both and create the Duchy of Salerno). I could even sail all the way around Italy and grab Ragusa, or go after anything in Corsica and Sardinia. Of course, I don't have claims on any of these. The only other opportunities for regional expansion go through the Duchy of Tuscany, which could wipe the floor with me right now.

In my Apulia/Sicilian game, I've been kicking around the "strong vassal armies" thing as well, and so far it's been working out quite nicely despite the incorrigibility of the eight-or-something competing branches of the Hautevilles. It's a relief not to have to bankrupt myself just to field a modest army and to be able to use my vassals' armies as "first-response" teams. As my realm in this game grows, I'll probably end up taking a similar approach, but I still like to keep particularly good catches (ahem, Genoa) for myself.

Cheers.

Immediate Dilemma:

My realm currently has -2 Stability, and I got an event that allows me to improve my stability by "pushing" the Church. I have three options:

1) Push a little. 50% Chance of +1 Stability, but lose 40 Piety (Ugo currently has 145 Piety and is gaining +1.1/month).
2) Push a lot. +1 Stability, Lose 100 Piety, 50% chance of gaining Skeptical (+1 Intrigue, -3 Yearly Piety; Ugo currently has 11 Intrigue).
3) The Church is Sacrosanct. Gain Zealous (+1 Martial, +3 Yearly Piety; Ugo currently has 10 Martial, but I'm not concerned about that).

Thoughts?

Cheers.

I have three options:

1) Push a little. 50% Chance of +1 Stability, but lose 40 Piety (Ugo currently has 145 Piety and is gaining +1.1/month).
2) Push a lot. +1 Stability, Lose 100 Piety, 50% chance of gaining Skeptical (+1 Intrigue, -3 Yearly Piety; Ugo currently has 11 Intrigue).
3) The Church is Sacrosanct. Gain Zealous (+1 Martial, +3 Yearly Piety; Ugo currently has 10 Martial, but I'm not concerned about that).
Heh. You left your game stalled while you ask?

You're at -2 and a long way from PC: push a lot. Skeptical can spark some really nasty events where the Pope takes you to town in front of your vassals a la Henry IV, but you have what? One? And he's related to you? Don't sweat it.

Stability isn't the end-all-and-be-all, but it's generally bad to be low (definitely more bad realm events, where your provinces become poorer; maybe more trouble with vassals, but I'm not sure about that) and good to be high (more cash from each province, plus events making your provinces richer, plus faster cultural conversion iirc.)

Heh. You left your game stalled while you ask?

You bet I did. :D But it's only been stalled for about 15 minutes, so I haven't been listening to the background music for that long.

Hard push it is, and thanks for the quick advice!

Cheers.

1080-1087 -- Quietly Staying in the Corner and Minding My Own Business

1080 dawns, and I immediately begin this round of play by putting into effect some of the advice I’ve received here and other things that I’ve learned through a side-game as Apulia. The first order of business is to switch my research focus from Thought, which isn’t popping anything, to Schools, hoping for a library for the benefit of Ugo’s children. I also switch from Power back to Mining (to get Charcoal and, thence, mines) and from Chain Armour to Siege Equipment.

Technology Focus Before and After
ScreenSave0.png
ScreenSave1.png

I also switch from Popular Law to Feudal Contract. As has been pointed out in this thread, this is a bid to get some “claim events” so that when I get the opportunity to grow, I will actually have the ability to grow, as Popular Law isn’t popping any claims. I’ve also experimented with 0% Scutage in my Apulia game and had a good deal of success at it, so I intend to employ that here as well.

I consider switching to Regal Supremacy as well, in order to get any plus-money events, but I decide I’d rather keep my piety in a happy place and so remain with Monastic Supremacy. I also crank my Church Donations to 100% (2.7 gold) while dropping Scutage to 0% (50% scutage was, in any case, only providing +0.6 gold per month anyway).

I decide that for the immediate future, I will be having peace. I have Respectable reputation, which is good, but I also want to try to get my Stability back up from -2, and as we’ve seen above, going to war ain’t how you do it.

The year starts off well, as Stonepit spreads to Montferrato. The province is already building a training grounds, so I’ll have to wait, but tile factories are always good additions to any province. I also get a couple of other tech spreads, with Defensive Terrain in Lombardia (though I don’t know how useful that will be) and Small Castle in Pavia.

As I settle in for what I hope will be a prolonged era of peace and prosperity for the duchy, I start poking around my court, and am reminded of one annoying fact:

ScreenSave3.png

It’s frustrating, and admittedly nonsensical, that traits like Zealous and Chaste only provide their +Piety bonus if the character in question is a ruler. I would sure like my diocese bishop to be gaining five or six piety per year, but that isn’t going to be happening.

My steward, the highly-skilled Matilda Steno, widow of Duke Azzo and by a large margin (14 to 6) the best steward in my court, is down to 44.5% loyalty and is still losing 0.9% per month. I have to get rid of her (her “Just” trait isn’t jiving with Ugo’s “Arbitrary”), but as mentioned, her best replacement is incompetent. Unfortunately, I can’t afford any theft or embezzlement from the treasury, so I have to take that hit.

I also notice that the Prince-Bishop of Padua, a vassal of Carinthia (who is a vassal of Heinrich), is at 39.6% loyalty and dropping fast. I offer him vassalization and keep an eye on him in case he breaks free, even though I wouldn’t be able to afford to grab his title (303 prestige cost versus my 213 prestige).

In August, Montferrato finishes the training grounds, so I start up the Tile Factory. On a less positive note, my Stewardship 6 steward manages to die of old age (45 years), and I have to replace her with a Stewardship 4 buffoon. Thanks to my awful stewards, my monthly income has dropped from 16.44 under Matilda Steno to 6.88 under Stupid McMoneypants.

In November, my diocese bishop turns celibate, so at least he has some piety now. He should also be gaining +10 piety per year, but alas, no.

In December, I get a great opportunity:

ScreenSave7.png

I can “push a little” for -40 Piety and a 50% chance of +1 Stability; I can “push a lot” for -100 Piety, guaranteed +1 Stability, and a 50% chance of gaining Skeptical; or I can not push at all and gain Zealous. As you know if you read above, I end up pushing a lot, because Ugo is in no danger of becoming Papal Controller and I need some stability. I wouldn’t even mind gaining Skeptical (a +Intrigue trait), but I don’t.

In January 1081, my friendship with the Prince-Bishop of Mainz pops back up when he asks me for campaign contributions for his run at the papacy.

ScreenSave9.png

Bishop von Saffenberg is fifty years old, only has 166 piety, and the top three guys in line for the papacy have at least 330 piety. Siegfrid also has Proud (-2 annual piety) and Vengeful (another -2), so the odds of him becoming pope are bagel. I have to show him the door, and now I gain skeptical as a result.

A week later, I get my first “Happy Feudal Vassal” event. I love these events – free prestige, relations, loyalty, and a chance of Just. I don’t gain Just this time, but the prestige boost is always nice.

Meanwhile, “Cruel” leader trait events for the lose:

ScreenSave10.png

By mid-March, Heinrich has annexed a rebellious Duchy of Dauphine / County of Forez. The former duke has apparently sought asylum in my court (gee, thanks?), granting me a new courtier with Stewardship 8, but low loyalty (20.1%). However, he’s gaining +0.6% per month, so I’ll eventually be able to make use of him.

In April, I get the chance to steal relics again. Since Ugo is already Arbitrary, and the non-profit option gives only a 10% chance of becoming Just, I take the money (150 gold) and run. With the money from the relics, by May I can afford to build a small castle. Lombardia still has Dysentery (this will prove to be the longest-running historical outbreak of dysentery ever), which gives +900% build time, so Pavia gets a castle instead. Naturally, a month after I start the castle, Pavia gets Stonepit, but I’ll have to wait 30 months for the castle to finish. Pavia also gets Divine Duty, which is always nice, particularly since the province has 80% peasant loyalty and I can’t reduce the census tax below 50% under Feudal Contract.

Lanfranco, Ugo’s oldest son, pops up asking if he’ll ever rule the duchy. I don’t want him to become Proud, Selfish, or Lazy, so “Of course you will” is out. I also don’t want him to become Vengeful or Lazy, so “Duh, no” is also out. Option #2, on the other hand -- “If you deserve it” – offers a possibility of Energetic, Amiable, or Suspicious, so I pick that one and Lanfranco become Energetic. Oh, if only he knew…

Meanwhile, my Marshal dies, and I replace him with a true military genius (Martial 4). An honorary picture of my pathetic court, c. November 1081:

The Court of Fools
ScreenSave14.png

Believe it or not, that Stewardship 4 woman actually has higher stewardship than everybody else (including my Diplomacy 13 chancellor and my Intrigue 15 spymaster) except for the spectacularly disloyal Stewardship 14 woman.

The tragic comedy continues in December as Parma’s fishing wharf burns down.

Lanfranco befriends the rather competent son of the fugitive Duke of Dauphine, so I’m optimistic that at least he will one day have a competent advisor, but shortly thereafter the former duke defects to another court and takes his son with him. Hmph.

In January 1082, it’s time to pick a formal education for Goffredo, Ugo’s second son.

ScreenSave17.png

The boy has great intrigue for a five-year-old, so I decide to send him to court to try to make the most of it. Later that month, the Duke of Galicia becomes Papal Controller, so at least I don’t have to worry about getting excommunicated from way over there.

In June, my diocese bishop retires to a monastery. His only possible replacement is a disloyal, incompetent, stressed-out fanatical priest, so I just leave the position empty.

Another parenting event comes around in September as Goffredo demonstrates a predilection for dangerous games. I didn’t want him to gain Reckless, a likely result of choosing to let him run rampant, and curfewing him had stupid possible results, so I decide to try to reel him in a bit and he gains Modest.

1083 is another quiet year. I send Ugo’s daughter Adalberta to court for education, even though my advisors are terrible, because I have no diocese bishop.

In March, Padua declares war on Carinthia, and is in turn declared war upon by Germany. The prince-bishopric remains disinterested in vassalization, so I leave them to their fate.

Lanfranco brings me another chance to be a dad towards the end of May, demanding to know why he has to attend school. “So that you don’t grow up to be a moron like your Uncle Fulco” isn’t an option, so I eventually take the middle ground (a chance of Gregarious, Valorous, or Reckless) and end up with Valorous. This pretty much ruins Lanfranco’s intrigue (it’s down to two), though, and I probably should have gone with the first option (which offered chances at Modest, Reckless, and Shy --- the most disciplinarian option offered Hostile, Shy, or Deceitful, and a 50% chance at Hostile was way too high to risk).

On a more positive note, the Seven Liberal Arts spreads to Lombardia, so I could theoretically build a library there, but the dysentery continues. I keep my focus on Schools in order to get Monastic Schools.

December gives me a hunting event with the Duke of Genoa. I don’t really need a friend in Genoa, so I pick the falconry option to minimize the likelihood of something horrible happening to Ugo, and end up becoming friends anyway.

In 1084, January means it’s time to raise Ugo’s third son, Ciuccio. I figure I’ll start grooming him for Diocese Bishop and toss him to some nearby monks.

Another quiet year, I finish the small castle in Pavia, get Soft Leather in Montferrato, make friends with the Prine-Bishop of Trent (who dies three months later), and by October I have 100 gold again, but I still can’t do anything in Lombardy due to the dysentery, so Pavia starts a tile-factory.

1085 continues the trends of (1) being uneventful and (2) my court being a comedy of errors, as my already-terrible steward becomes depressed.

ScreenSave24.png

Sure, she has Stewardship 2, but my only other two options are both completely disloyal. Naturally, they have Stewardship scores of fourteen and… zero.

Soft Leather reaches Pavia, and the only other noteworthy event of the year is a hunting friendship with the Count of Brescia, a nice little county right on my eastern border that I’d like to eventually vassalize (but which is currently loyal to Tuscany).

1086 stays a little busy, but still quiet. Goffredo forms a friendship with the court spymaster (at least he picked one of my less inept advisors for that -- the guy has Intrigue 16, but he also has only 4 Diplomacy and is 63 years old), while Ugo gets a hunting friendship with the Prince-Bishop of Cremona (another eventual-vassal neighbor county that’s part of Tuscany). Meanwhile, a few tech spreads: Salt Refinery in Pavia (which also finishes its tile factory), Brickwork Structures in Montferrato.

Goffredo, despite just making friends with his instructor, proves incompetent at making friends otherwise, so Ugo gets an event to try to fix it. I help him out, and the kid ends up as Amiable, which isn’t too shabby. In order to balance the scales, however, Parma promptly turns Poor via event.

July rolls around, and Lombardia still has dysentery (hint: this never actually goes away), so I start a church in Pavia to appease the masses.

Later that month, Pisa declares war on Syracuse, the last Muslim holding in Sicily. As much as I wouldn’t mind capturing the province, Pisa would easily be able to get there before me, and I only have a single piece of gold, -1 Stability, and terrible luck. On top of that, Syracuse is already at war with Venice, Romagna, Bologna, and Apulia, so I decline to join the attack.

Ciuccio comes around for a formal education, and while I had intended to send him to a monastery for an ecclesiastical education, he shows promise in an area I desperately need to improve:

ScreenSave25.png

Court Education it is.

Towards the end of the year, Lanfranco becomes Just via “poacher event”, which I’ll count as a victory.

Meanwhile, I take stock of Germany, since they seem disinclined to do me any favors by falling apart. I am pleased at what I find. Heinrich is still going strong, but the inheritance is in dire straits:

ScreenSave26.png

Heinrich is using Primogeniture, and his oldest son is a schizophrenic with atrocious Diplomacy and poor everything else. Due to the inheritance laws of Germany, the two in line after Dietmar are his two infant sons. Meanwhile:

ScreenSave27.png

This guy, Heinrich’s second son, is fourth in the inheritance line. And that, ladies and gentlemen, is why I use Consanguinity inheritance laws. Germany’s wacky inheritance is definitely to my benefit, though -- if I can just ride out the rest of Heinrich’s reign (I foolishly forget to knock on wood at this point), there’s virtually no way that Germany won’t fall apart upon Dietmar’s succession.

1087 is another uneventful year for me, and at this point uneventful is about the best thing I can ask for. Montferrato turns Prosperous in January, while March sees Lanfranco and Goffredo becoming friends, which is a welcome event. Unfortunately, in April Goffredo becomes stressed rather than risk becoming enemies with Ciuccio.

In May, I notice that my friend the Doge of Genoa has died, and that he has been succeeded by a young, rebellious, and very disloyal ruler.

ScreenSave29.png

Bonifacio is stacked. Despite being all of 5.1% loyal, he’s gaining +3.5% per month. There’s still a chance that he might turn before he gets too high, though, which would allow me to pounce. Only problem is that thanks to the new doge’s obscene attributes, Genoa has a huge army -- about 60% recruited and already 7,255 strong, plus 2,349 in Nice, whereas I have all of 7,109 total manpower. I guess Genoa won’t be happening any time in the next few years.

On July 30, my steward recovers from her depression. But she’s still terrible.

In August, the Prince-Bishopric of Trent leaves Germany peacefully in what at the time appears a fairly innocuous event. I offer them vassalization, but it is declined.

The year closes with a couple of events, one with angry burghers and one that pops Letters of Indulgence in Lombardia. The burghers aren’t too happy about Feudal Contract law, so I give them some false hope to shut them up and minimize loyalty problems.

1088-1090 – Things Fall Apart

Thanks to the stupidly-adept new Doge of Venice, who still isn’t turning in February, I can no longer afford to grab the Magistracy of Genoa. Instead, I consider grabbing Trent. It would cost about half of my prestige (182 of 351), but I could force-vassalize them and yield the claim to recoup some of that cost and the reputation loss from grabbing a title. Nothing else is going on right now, so I go for it. After a quick grab and declaration of war (Trent has only 495 troops and no allies), I marshal my vassals’ regiments because I’m a cheapskate for 1,300 troops and march off. Pisa also declares war and starts marching up to Trent as well.

On February 2, Bohemia becomes a kingdom, but nothing else is going on in Germany.

In March, Pavia finishes its church. Lombardia is still wracked with dysentery, so I start a church in Montferrato.

By May 25, I finally reach Trent. Pisa peaces out and takes all of Trent’s money, but I settle in for the siege. On September 9, the province is captured, and I make peace – I yield my claim and vassalize them, gaining me 14 prestige and a new bishopric with a highly loyal bishop. Ten days later, I get the “push the church for Stability” event again, and push hard again, bringing me back up to +0 Stability at long last.

Great news comes in on October 8 -- Genoa is independent! Unfortunately, they went peacefully, so I can’t rely on Germany to distract their armies while I swoop in and pick off their territories. Not that I can afford to grab them anyway. Genoa has a manpower of 10,419 fully-staffed, while I’m only at 7,990, so that’s not going to happen any time soon. Maybe one day.

ScreenSave33.png

Or not.

Because Germany totally couldn’t attack the much wealthier and more profitable vassal who had just declared independence, they needed to go after the guy who had been on his own for twenty years already.

Pisa wisely says “f*** that” and doesn’t march to my assistance. I wouldn’t have either, in their position.

I immediately offer all of my gold for peace while marshalling my vassals’ armies and my own and marching them to Lombardia, like I have a chance. I take a quick look, and nobody else is currently at war with Germany, so I’m going to get the full experience.

On December 8, Germany rejects my peace offer. I make another offer of all of my 51 gold and vassalization, but this is rejected as well on December 26. I win a minor battle in Lombardia and offer peace again. It is rejected again.

ScreenSave34.png

On January 12, 1089, all of my forces have congregated in Lombardia, constituting all of 7,777 men, against Germany’s 150,000-or-something manpower. I decide to throw them at Piemonte, where lie 2,712 Germans, in the hope (however slim) that if I win a siege, Heinrich might decide to let me go.

On January 22, I reach Piemonte and the German army retreats, so the siege begins. The province is captures on February 15, and I immediately fall back to Lombardia and offer peace. I lost about 850 soldiers in the siege, and the peace is promptly thrown back in my face.

May 23, and Germans are everywhere.

ScreenSave35.png

Heinrich is still rejecting peace offers, including vassalization. A week later, Lanfranco turns 16. Too bad he won’t get the chance to inherit anything or lead the duchy.

On June 3, the Germans siege Piemonte with 1,550. I march to meet them and drive them out on June 15, after which I run back to Lombardia. At the end of the month, my 6,820 remaining soldiers defeat 3,777 Germans in Lombardia.

ScreenSave36.png

My spymaster has the right idea. To be fair, though, the guy is sixty-six years old.

Three days later, the same spymaster is captured in battle and killed despite ransom attempts, making my victory on July 8th even more hollow than usual.

I see an army of only 1,500 led by Heinrich himself in Piemonte participating in the siege there. I march out of Lombardia, because at this point my only chance is the extremely long shot of killing Heinrich in battle and forcing Dietmar to inherit. If that can happen and I can cause Germany to explode in the succession, I might be able to get out of this alive. Heinrich naturally retreats rather than face battle.

On August 7, Heinrich is in Savoie with about 4,100 men, so my army in Piemonte goes after him. By the time I arrive, it’s 5,620 of mine against 7,167 Germans. It’s a massacre.

ScreenSave39.png

To add insult to injury, on September 10, Lanfranco finishes his education and becomes completely brilliant.

ScreenSave38.png

In mid-November, the Germans recapture Piemonte. On the 24th, the Duke f Lower Lorraine becomes Papal Controller. My desperation is not assuaged when he promptly does not excommunicate Heinrich.

The year ends on a less than happy note as Lombardia is captured on December 27.

1090 dawns rather bleakly, with Germans running rampant. I manage to defeat a small army in Montferrato on January 25, then hole up in the hills and pray. On the 27th, Heinrich’s army shows up and plasters me. The 1,193 survivors flee to Nice while my peace proposals continue getting shot down.

On April 19, Montferrato falls, and on June 22, Pavia follows. I have 1,059 soldiers left who have made it to Parma, my last remaining demesne territory, waiting miserably for the end.

On July 12, my court shows signs of coming completely unhinged.

ScreenSave40.png

WTF, court?

In August, Carinthia breaks from Germany, and does me a world of good by doing so peacefully. Fantastic. They couldn’t even give me the false hope that would come with a declaration of war.

On October 14, my last army is completely wiped out in Parma. On December 14, the province falls.

ScreenSave41.png

A week later, it’s all over.

Surrender.png

Postmortem to follow later.

Last edited:
Hey, just spotted this very good AAR and ... it's already finished!? dam'd. A new battle of Legnano didn't happen this time. really unfortunate, because the Duchy of Milan was expanding well in just 20 years without taking excessive risks!

Hey, just spotted this very good AAR and ... it's already finished!? dam'd. A new battle of Legnano didn't happen this time. really unfortunate, because the Duchy of Milan was expanding well in just 20 years without taking excessive risks!

Unfortunately. Avoiding excessive risks was something I was explicitly attempting to do, and although I haven't written up the postmortem yet, when I do I'm going to have a hard time finding things that I specifically should have done differently. In retrospect, going after Trent might have been a mistake, but I don't know what causes AI factions to totally flip out and kill you sometimes so I don't really know what Heinrich's thinking was. If I reboot and stick with Lombardia, I'm going to consider taking even fewer risks by avoiding independence until it's clear that Germany is irreversibly collapsing and I won't be endangered.

I'm also afraid I don't have an autosave from this game -- after the loss, I puttered around with the Hautevilles a little more (they have the most dysfunctional court ever), so the autosave from that one is what I've got. If I were going to try to "rewind" this game, I would have to go all the way back to 1080, and at that point I may as well just got all the way back to 1066 and start considering other options.

I do apologize for the short lifespan of this AAR -- trust me, I did everything I could to keep it alive. :(

Cheers.

I do apologize for the short lifespan of this AAR -- trust me, I did everything I could to keep it alive. :(
I'll avoid the 'I told you so's (except the parenthetical ones ;)) and suggest you have nothing to apologize for.

You learned, Phargle learned (?), I got to type a lot. Everyone's happy. :D

Believe me, short, amusing, crash-and-burn AARs are much easier for people to skim and learn from than endless WCy ones.

The big lesson, of course, is: Don't declare independence from giant empires until they're really, truly, on the ropes. Like, able-to-get-your-claims-back on the ropes. Good advice for the proper time to jump into your first crusade, too, btw.

Now, you can start another AAR if you aren't burnt out: still in Lombard if you wanna keep building or with your Apulian game that (*coitoldyousough*) is going more smoothly or someplace totally new.

Last edited:
Well, I actually learned here, so even if you failed miserably against the HRE, your mission was accomplised. :p

@I also switch from Popular Law to Feudal Contract.
Feudal contract is more about the loyalty bonus than the claims. Iirc, those events will pop up more often with royal prerog, if they're you're only concern.

@I’ve also experimented with 0% Scutage
Good God in heaven, why? :)

You can use the scutage to buy their loyalty. Plus a castle.

edit: Oh, right. The bigger armies. Well, just be sure they keep those spears pointed the other way and remember it doesn't matter it doesn't matter how many vassals you have if none of them are paying you anything at all. ;)

@I have to get rid of her
Yes. Absolutely. Good show.

@my monthly income has dropped from 16.44 under Matilda Steno to 6.88 under Stupid McMoneypants.
Though there is a lower limit to what's worth putting up with from complete idiots. Two solutions: (a) keep the 14, store more cash, and use the extra cash to just suck it up when the embezzlement hits; (b) give the steward some land, bribe her up to 100% loyalty, then revoke and hope she comes back to you.

That last one works better with family, admittedly: if she heads off to Venice, you're SOL.

@Pavia also gets Divine Duty, which is always nice, particularly since the province has 80% peasant loyalty and I can’t reduce the census tax below 50% under Feudal Contract.
You can use those techs to increase the tax rate. It's micromanagy but worth it for small realms. We can talk about it next AAR.

@His only possible replacement [sucks] so I just leave the position empty.
Also good.

Just be careful, since you can get stuck with him if you save and reload. The game will automatically fill your court positions. Worth paying attention to if you have good but disloyal courtiers, too.

@even though my advisors are terrible, because I have no diocese bishop.
Bad advisors are a little worse than none, iirc, but the only time to send a girl to church is if (a) you have a dip 7+ master theologian sitting around in a cathedral and the court is staffed by loonies or (b) if she's an infidel. The churching up will convert her for free.

Otherwise, the bad educations at court are worse than the bad ecclesiastical educations, but the good ones are much better.

@I figure I’ll start grooming him for Diocese Bishop
That's the other reason to toss your boys at the monks.

Other people's boys can be groomed for becoming bishops, but there's no reason you'd ever want to limit your dynasty that way: bishops won't marry, breed, or pass on their land to their children. (Theoretically.)

@July rolls around, and Lombardia still has dysentery (hint: this never actually goes away), so I start a church in Pavia to appease the masses.
I would think appeasing a vengeful G-d would be more important atm. :rofl:

@I get the “push the church for Stability” event again, and push hard again, bringing me back up to +0 Stability at long last.
That's good, but generally I avoid negative piety when I can. More important if you have bishops, but it's one of those numbers that can be hard to move when you need it to.

@I immediately offer all of my gold ... On December 8, Germany rejects my peace offer.
You do have to be careful here that the new month ticking over hasn't given you more gold than you offered. What the AI wants to see is that it's getting everything you have.

Then again, a state with lots of claims, a bigger army, and bordering demesne is going to be pretty ruthless at any aggression setting.

@in the hope (however slim) that if I win a siege, Heinrich might decide to let me go.
That's exactly right.

Capital is better, but anything you can grab before he takes your last province is what you go after. Avoid battles you'll lose - keep your army as big as you can so the sieges move as fast as they can.

@including vassalization
I don't think the AI knows what it is. If it won't take your treasury, I've never seen it take anything else but land.

@Too bad he won’t get the chance to inherit anything or lead the duchy.
If you really want to keep this AAR going, you can save it on the last day of the last siege, switch to some neutral country, find out where your count ended up, and go there and try to restore him and his family.

Welshies like to do it with Gruffydd wyr Iago in Dublin in the 1066 scenario.

It'd be fun to see here.

@I march to meet them
Mistake.

If you can't take the other guy in a head-to-head, just ignore your captured land and race him with the sieges. Just siege and siege and siege.

[This, btw, is where siege tech becomes important ;) esp. since the AI never seems to research it on its own.]

@because at this point my only chance is the extremely long shot of killing Heinrich in battle and forcing Dietmar to inherit.
This, admittedly, isn't a bad Plan B. But you need to be rather larger than his force and ready to accept that it's not likely you're going to get him unless his martial score is awful.

@Heinrich naturally retreats rather than face battle.
Sucks.

@To add insult to injury, on September 10, Lanfranco finishes his education and becomes completely brilliant.
:rofl:

You may have been able to make a stand if you had the whole of your army waiting in a mountain province. They make a bigger difference than you think.

You may have been able to make a stand if you had the whole of your army waiting in a mountain province. They make a bigger difference than you think.
Good point.

It'd need to be in his realm, though. If he was losing morale and men from attrition while he waited, it'd just sap what little strength he had, esp. as Germany piled up the men.

That's why I ended up trying to retreat to places like Montferrato. I didn't own or control any mountain provinces, so I tried to stick to the hills. Unfortunately by that point my numerical disadvantage was so great that it wasn't going to work for me anyway.

I've been cooling down with a bit of puttering around as Sicily, but I'm going to try to put together an autopsy now. :p

Cheers.