+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Some July Evening Screenshots.. (Of Asia)

EU3 Complete

nice screenshots. and finally japan consists of more than a few provinces. it always felt wrong for a major country!

Excellent. Much appreciated Johan.
    "If Jean Luc Picard went back in time and then brought Genghis Khan to 1932 and the Enterprise exploded over the United States this is literally exactly what would happen.", FNLN

"I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do. ", HAL
    "If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.", Isaac Asimov

200k clubAchtung PanzerArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in Motion
    Cities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMagickaMajesty 2
    Victoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper FiSword of the StarsSword of the Stars II
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedCK2: Holy Knight500k club

Quote Originally Posted by hendriks View Post
    Mountains def should radically lower width, but same applies to jungle and hills, as I see in the province, but maybe normal plains width is around 18?
    Development Diary 16 on land combat shows a plains with the combat width of 10 aswell, That's what makes me sad. I too think that mountains should be the most restrictive frontage IMHO.
    Hope we can mod it.

The rest of it looks really nice however ^^
    "Experience is something you don't usually get until just after you need it"

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonEuropa Universalis 3Hearts of Iron IIIEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by louis.s View Post
    as an answer to Johan about the specials in the second screenshot i'd say there is one inf unit with a rifle, the other one has a machine gun and they got different helmets, wich could mean that inf sprites can now also show in little differences how advanced they are?
    I must say i love the colours used in the terrain mode and how the trees seem to go over borders. the type-fonts in de province names are great too.

stars show wich command level they are i believe
    Isn't it great, a HoI terrain finally as beautiful as Vicky.
    "We must teach them. We must take away their planes, their automatic weapons, their tanks, their artillery and teach them dignity".
    -For Whome the Bell Tolls.

"Win first, and then fight."
    -Sun Tzu.

so it is the great precept of nature to love ourselves only as we love our neighbour, or what comes to the same thing, as our neighbour is capable of loving us.

Adam Smith, -Theory of Moral Sentiments.

Achtung PanzerArsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourEuropa Universalis: Chronicles
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIISemper FiSengokuVictoria 2
    Pride of NationsRise of Prussia500k club

Very very beautiful
    Thank you Johan

Philosopher of the Future Alexander Seil's Avatar
    Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Hearts of Iron IIIVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeSemper FiRome: Vae Victis

I don't particularly see why any terrain type should have less or more frontage. Terrain effects are bonuses to efficiency, speed, etc. That's more than enough.

If anything, frontage should be affected by infrastructure rather than terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Seil View Post
    I don't particularly see why any terrain type should have less or more frontage. Terrain effects are bonuses to efficiency, speed, etc. That's more than enough.

Technology and Military Doctrine should also have some inpact on combat frontage. Also, urban areas should have a very high frontage.

200k clubAchtung PanzerArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in Motion

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Seil View Post

Lets go through this simple example, what will help more front-line divisions attack alongside each other at the same time through a province?

A.) A road through the only mountain pass they are forced to go through.

or

B.) There are no mountains in the way, they can march side by side in a 50km wide line if they want to on the plains.

See my point?

By the way, infrastructure already affects speed and combat efficiency, if anything it should be terrain! (see what I did there?).

i c wut u did thar

But seriously...no roads=slower movement, no clear terrain=less soldiers able to fit in a given area effectively.

Philosopher of the Future Alexander Seil's Avatar
    Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Hearts of Iron IIIVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeSemper FiRome: Vae Victis

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_brunius View Post
    Lets go through this simple example, what will help more front-line divisions attack alongside each other at the same time through a province?

A.) A road through the only mountain pass they are forced to go through.

or

B.) There are no mountains in the way, they can march side by side in a 50km wide line if they want to on the plains.

See my point?

By the way, infrastructure already affects speed and combat efficiency, if anything it should be terrain! (see what I did there?).
    You hardly have a point. I'll leave it to others to provide examples of where terrain is hilly or forested or whatever, yet troops were deployed on a wide frontage - there will be a billion. Infrastructure is a much more consistent limit - you can't move fast or far from the supply dumps.

Sadly I can't outargue you on empirical evidence because poor infrastructure and poor terrain, unsurprisingly, often coincide, so we'll have to call it a draw.

You know for an american, my geography skills are top notch......it wasnt my schooling, they taught diddly. All my knowledge has come from world war/world domination video games haha.

HoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCrusader Kings II
    Deus VultGalactic AssaultHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineIron CrossLost Empire - ImmortalsMajesty 2
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSupreme Ruler 2020 Gold
    Supreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2EU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition500k club

Great screens! Though when I look at the sprites I can not see a number indicating how many division you know\think there are?

Quote Originally Posted by Vaski View Post
    I immidiately spot Toyota from Japan's coast
    Actually, that looks like an error in the map. The town of Toyota was named Koromo until 1959.

Master of the Universe CaptRobau's Avatar
    Achtung PanzerArsenal of DemocracyCities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus Vult
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Iron CrossMajesty 2Victoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper Fi
    Sword of the StarsSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided500k club

Nice screens.

Terrain looks fantastic Johan. That first screenshot is so crisp I'm thinking of switching to counters. Then again, shiny helmets...

How come that the units fighting in screen No2 looks to be at full strength even thou the japs are loosing?

And why do the jap unit take up 3 width and 3 of the Aus units take up 8? is it training or leadership that modifies that?

Nice screenshots, however, now I am confused

I thought the battle screen shows divisions, right? But why has the japanese infantry division a width of 3, when in the first sreenshot the brigades have a width of 3? Shouldn't the division have a width of 9 then?

Quote Originally Posted by Ajcb View Post
    How come that the units fighting in screen No2 looks to be at full strength even thou the japs are loosing?

And why do the jap unit take up 3 width and 3 of the Aus units take up 8? is it training or leadership that modifies that?
    It is the total width of all three units. I assume that the militia has only a width of 2.
    (i.e. inf + inf + mil; 3 + 3 + 2 = 8).

I am more confused by the fact that each unit has only such a low width (see my post above).

Quote Originally Posted by Snowmelk View Post
    Nice screenshots, however, now I am confused

I thought the battle screen shows divisions, right? But why has the japanese infantry division a width of 3, when in the first sreenshot the brigades have a width of 3? Shouldn't the division have a width of 9 then?
    3,000 over the width symbol is the units strenght, which is 3000 per frontline brigade.
    Everything we have seen on the division designer shows infantry & militia brigades have a width of 1.

Alexander Seil: I wasn't talking about forests or Hills, those can have the same frontage that plains do Imo, I was talking about very harsh terrain like mountains, rivers crossings and swamps/jungle.

Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDarkest Hour
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Majesty 2Victoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2Rome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband
    Rise of Prussia500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

I wants this gameeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast