• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I think this was mostly answered already, but - the theatre AI will only control the units assigned to it. The "region of interest" and the units assigned to the theatre are independent and orthogonal. The AI will attempt to move any units assigned to it which are NOT within its region of interest, into it. :) In this way it's very easy to order troops to move between fronts, you just reassign them from one theatre HQ to another and let the AI handle the actual movement (including any necessary sea transporting etc).

That's why I didn't get it. Why go through all of this trouble to define Theater areas? Just to instill a notion of what its area of interest is in the AI? I suppose that explains it, though.

The actual utility of that notion is somewhat in doubt, though, even if it works well when activated. A Theater is probably a bit too high-level for most players to just farm out to the AI (except for British and US players where global commitments are just overwhelming). I expect to be commanding mostly at Army/Corps level (i.e., on a scale similar to HoI2's stacks).

That's why I didn't get it. Why go through all of this trouble to define Theater areas? Just to instill a notion of what its area of interest is in the AI? I suppose that explains it, though.

The actual utility of that notion is somewhat in doubt, though, even if it works well when activated. A Theater is probably a bit too high-level for most players to just farm out to the AI (except for British and US players where global commitments are just overwhelming). I expect to be commanding mostly at Army/Corps level (i.e., on a scale similar to HoI2's stacks).

I think the theatre control comes in handy for two things:

- if you have multiple fronts and do not want to focus on all of them

- and when you prepare a major operation like Barbarossa:
You just set up your structure of army groups and armies. Then you let the AI put them on the frontline.

Looking forward to a proper D-Day invasion.

Only problem with HoI3 is that my expectations are so high. Seems like it's going to be the best game ever, but what if they pull a Molyneux (infamous video game producer of the game Fable known for always making "the best game ever")

Only problem with HoI3 is that my expectations are so high. Seems like it's going to be the best game ever, but what if they pull a Molyneux (infamous video game producer of the game Fable known for always making "the best game ever")

more to the point remember that everyone was extremely excited about HOI2 and then imploded with disappointment when it didn't live up to their inflated expectations.

The theatre sizes vary, depending on many factors, including the different countries bordering you. Smaller countries will therfore have smaller theatres.

Even if they have one theatre, the AI can still run it. If it doesn't do it to a level suitable to your gameplay, than command it yourself.

I find that the theatres, as they described them, is very suitable to my gamestyle.

I think these 2 things can do wonders in a wargame. I can't agree with those who say that the game would be more fun with less clicks. I still think the player has a huge role to play during wars and battles. Choosing a plan among the ones proposed by the AI would not be enough to enjoy playing. You can let the AI organize the supply routes, you can let it control air fleets and infantry divisions, but I think you can not let it control an entire theatre. There is no strategy in letting the computer fight for you. And no fun neither.

But someone on this server said that he would let his defensive theatres under the AI command, and I think that's a nice way of doing things. Anyway, PI does give us the choice between using the AI and not using it, which is great.

I agree. I was not suggesting nor would I play a game that only allowed one to sit and watch the war after selecting between a set of plans.

Hmmm i might play a government sim that allowed you to declare war but you had to run the country and react to outcome of battles and campaigns. Dunno would depend on what else the game offered. Have to offer an awful lot thought

From what I've read about the AI so far, it seems to be a great management tool for a defensive stance. Also, when preparing for offensive operations. If the AI will handle offensive operations remains to be seen, but I can see how it will be very useful in a defensive stance on a front (or theatre) which is a secondary or tertiary priority.

I was wondering now that we have screens for almost every possible nation directly ivolved in the war,could paradox be kind enough to give us a screen of Bulgaria.As far as i remember from the previous pictures shown in various dev diaries, Bulgarian borders presented somewhat of a challenge to cope with and i would really like to know what progress have been made.
Also shots for Argentina would be much appreciated.
ps: and Latin America as a whole

I think the general tone of previews so far indicates that it's not some kind of a soul-crushing disappointment.

I agree. I was not suggesting nor would I play a game that only allowed one to sit and watch the war after selecting between a set of plans.

Hmmm i might play a government sim that allowed you to declare war but you had to run the country and react to outcome of battles and campaigns. Dunno would depend on what else the game offered. Have to offer an awful lot thought

Fair enough. While I was reading your previous posts, it came to my mind that you did not want to be involved in battles, just set and organize your army.
As a matter of fact it could be great to play such a game, but it would not be a wargame anymore. It would get close to SimCountry, like.

wow, just read about AI theatre invasions. I just hope it really works like it says. Sorry, but after another game let me down badly by its lies of brilliant CAI, I tend to be a bit cautious now...

But I have a good feeling about HOI3.

I really like the approach of indirect control - I always wanted a strategy game where I really only determine "strategy", not micromanage the tactics below.

Also, Socratatus: If one company can pull of an AI that manages, it's Paradox!

I really like the approach of indirect control - I always wanted a strategy game where I really only determine "strategy", not micromanage the tactics below.

Also, Socratatus: If one company can pull of an AI that manages, it's Paradox!

Good to know.:rolleyes:

Fair enough. While I was reading your previous posts, it came to my mind that you did not want to be involved in battles, just set and organize your army.
As a matter of fact it could be great to play such a game, but it would not be a wargame anymore. It would get close to SimCountry, like.

That's why HoI3 is classified as a grand strategy game. Micromanaging divisions is not grand strategy.

As for wargames where you could sit back and watch the AI generals do the job, try Conquest of the Aegean.