• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
If Germany wins:
"Oooh noes this AI so unrealistic!"

If Germany loses:
"Oooh noes this AI not good enuff!"

;)

Rather, if Germany wins then the AI for USA, France, England, USSR etc is bad.

If Germany losses without any logical thought behind the loss then the German AI is bad.

Hopefully the game will show a constant struggle with a lot of tactical cunning that keep it interesting until Germany slowly withers while Hiller* screams in agony.

They show as having 182 IC at least, maybe that's what he means? :p

doh didn't go back and look at it. Well I imagine the game will scale different than HoI2 so wouldn't read much into it.

While he's invading Malta looks like he's busy losing Cirenaica.

It will be "interesting" to see how German AI can handle Götterdämmerung scenario without any help from player..

Notice, that whatever improves the German AI, also improves the SU AI.
So somewhere the superiority of the human intelligence has to come in (if you play on a difficulty level, which does not favor any side).

I think you can get some advantages by good strategic planning (trade, production, espionage, diplomacy, research), but I think not enough to turn such a scenario around if both sides fight equally well.

Last edited:
Great stuff as usual.

But King (or Johan, while you are here :) ), here is a question for you:
Is only a theatre capable of doing combined arms operations well?
What if I gave the task of invading Malta to an army group of the same strength? Also, we learned, that creating theatres is not in direct control of the player. So is this theatre now neglecting everything else in its area of responsibility? If I gave the theatre AI two objectives, eg. invading Malta and defending Rome, would it understand the different nature of these objectives?

Last edited:
i probley missed the thread about this but i will ask it anyways......with this "theater" how are they set up or can i make a theater as big or as small as i want or put in the objectives

........GOD!!! august is soooo far away i cant wait to play....sounds like this AI will be a lot more fun to play, come up with new tactics to kick its ass...lol or get mine kicked.

Notice, that whatever improves the German AI, also improves the SU AI.
So somewhere the superiority of the human intelligence has to come in (if you play on a difficulty level, which does not favor any side).

I think you can get some advantages by good strategic planning (trade, production, espionage), but I think not enough to turn such a scenario around if both sides fight equally well.

Well, yes. I really don't think that AI could reverse the situation but I'd like to see how well it can slow down the inevitable Downfall.

i probley missed the thread about this but i will ask it anyways......with this "theater" how are they set up or can i make a theater as big or as small as i want or put in the objectives

If I understood and remember anything about that particular development diary, you can't create theatres or change their area of responsibilities. And if they did not change that of course. You can freely set objectives of course. That is the whole purpose.

Maybee its answered somewhere but I cant find.

1.Are theaters allways formed authomaticaly?if yes, can some aditonal theaters be formed manualy?

2. If I choose to control theater by myself can I asign AI to control some smaller formations(lower levels of HQ-s) previously being under theater-say some armies,airforce units or even single divisions?

3.If theater is AI controlled,can I take some unit from this theater and operate it manualy leaving the rest of theater units under AI and after some time reasign this unit again under AI controll of the theater?

Maybee its answered somewhere but I cant find.

1.Are theaters allways formed authomaticaly?if yes, can some aditonal theaters be formed manualy?

2. If I choose to control theater by myself can I asign AI to control some smaller formations(lower levels of HQ-s) previously being under theater-say some armies,airforce units or even single divisions?

3.Otherwise,if theater is AI controlled,can I take some unit from this theater and operate it manualy leaving the rest of theater units under AI and after some time reasign this unit again under AI controll of the theater?

1. Yes. No(?)
2. Yes.
3. No.

(AFAIK and IIRC)

I like the new way of showing fleet composition, but why do it both numerically and graphically (with those bars)? Do they show strength/org or something?

EDIT: Oh, King answered on page 2. Sorry.

I need some details to compose picture of theters,can someone help me?

I for instance am Germany and send fiew divisions to help Italians in North Africa.But I want them to be on my own AI command not as expedition under Italian AI theater.

My question is:
Am I free to form theters as I like, so I could form "small" Africa theater with fiew divisions and one airforce fleet ,or I will have predefined larger Mediteranian Theater AI and divisions in Africa as suboordinated detachment of that large Theater?

Can I choose to form separate Mediteranian theater and North Africa theater as I like?

This is an interesting question and I wonder about this myself.

IF we cannot form our own theatres then I would think as a workaround we could just peel off units from our nearest theatre and (for example) ship them to North Africa to help out Commando Supremo. Because one would think the theatre boundaries are probably not set in stone.

Somewhat related question: you ship a unit from one theatre to some geographically distant locale that is not "part" of an extant area of operations. Would a new theatre get created automatically then? It would seem like the game would need to have a mechanism like this.

Ahh I love you Americans, You have all those people of Scots, Irish, and Welsh descent in the US, you still say ENGLAND when you mean UK.

The funny part is my ancestors are from alsace-Lorraine and Poland on one side and wales and Russia on the other. 3 immigrant families and the welsh is from before the revolution.

One more month ... Guess I should get back to finally learning eu3

We can create our own theatres.
I asked Johan about creating AI controllet "Heeresgruppe Seelöwe" in page 1. He said that it can happen. So I think that means we can create as many theatres we want to.

We can create our own theatres.
I asked Johan about creating AI controllet "Heeresgruppe Seelöwe" in page 1. He said that it can happen. So I think that means we can create as many theatres we want to.

Ok, that would explain, why you can dedicate a whole theatre to Malta.

Here is the passage of that AI control DD:

"Now theatres are a very special animal they have wide area of operation that they will look to operate in. These are defined by the AI and as such you have no need to actually use the theatre control option. There is a map mode that shows you the current theatres the AI would use. If a player activates a theatre HQ inside a theatre zone of operation then this theatre will assume responsibility for the whole zone, you can supply it specific objectives to give to focus as well. It will request assets in the same way. You can of course have assets outside the theatre HQs control but it will ignore these when it comes to decide what it is doing. When the situation changes the theatre map will change and new theatre zones created or removed. At this point you have the option to simply split or merge the theatres according the situation or assume manual control and divide things up yourself."

As I read it now, the AI is proposing theatres, but you can overwrite. I take back my statement.