• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

mbabbs

Major
7 Badges
Sep 23, 2008
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
This may have been discussed before, so apologies if it has.

Something I always found strange in HOI2 was the ability of subs and other naval units to identify land units in neighboring land provinces. (A very handy 'trick' to see where to land your troops uncontested).

I noticed that in Johan's video where he attacks Sweden as Norway, the sub he sent to stockholm revealed a unit.

Will this be a feature of HOI3 ?

.......to a lesser extent I also felt it strange that a strategic bombing mission also revealed units not only at the target but also enroute to the target. I seem to remember that an air unit flying over a naval region would also reveal units in neighboring land provinces.

Why not?
One of the basic and most important missions of the Navy are the reconnaissance, the surveillance and the intelligence gathering.

Well I am open to discussion certainly.

I can understand carriers and other plane bearing ships performing recce missions against land units.

I can understand that some ships might be able to extend the intelligence gathering map through radio intercept.

However I can't see how a flottila of subs would identify a land unit. I also cant understand how air units in sea provinces would identify neighboring land units (I might be wrong on that one - cant remember exactly).

Just imagine that you are sending them on an intel mission- to gather information about the radio traffic, to observe and to even send recon teams on shore.

I know that it isn't perfect, but if we get this ability out, then we will have to conduct our operations with very strong informational blackout.

I could imagine that if it were a specific naval mission (a specific air mission would be nice too).

Infact that would be great as the units would then be open to attack from naval batteries.

But otherwise it seems a bit gamey to me. Its not a game breaker though obviously.

........conducting our missions with informational blackout is part of the fun isnt it ? It makes intelligence even more important.

I think we must look holistically at airforce, it is more than one unit or even one squadron and if I understand correctly represents 100 planes. Having a recon ability would be part of the job i guess but it should not identify the units by name rank and serial number. But it should be able to indicate an armoured unit in province X.
For the navy unless it is specifically carrying out anti land operations, shore bombardment or has patrolling cag's then they should be blind to land movements.
In HOI2 multiplayer playing as italy in 1936 i suddenly found half the Soviet submarine service off my coast having a gander...

At the last Dev diary it has been talked this is a important part of HO3 there is a map called intelligence map and this shows information about the enemy I think with more spies and equipment (naval units planes radars etc) the level of reconnaissance will get higer...

I suggest you to read this especially parts about radar at the first page...

Edit

I suggest the idea of many others this reconnaissance thing must be put as an mission to the game.

I could imagine that if it were a specific naval mission (a specific air mission would be nice too).

Infact that would be great as the units would then be open to attack from naval batteries.

But otherwise it seems a bit gamey to me. Its not a game breaker though obviously.

........conducting our missions with informational blackout is part of the fun isnt it ? It makes intelligence even more important.

Why they should be open to attack from the coast?
The goal of the mission is to gather intel without revealing yourself.

As to the blackout.
Yes, it's good because it's realistic, but I'm not advocating a "no fog", I'm just saying that we just can't get out of the game the tools so crucial IRL for intel gathering.

Why they should be open to attack from the coast?
The goal of the mission is to gather intel without revealing yourself.

Yes true.

And I agree with the previous poster about Naval Units with signals intercepting radio traffic and improving the intelligence net. That sounds reasonable.

My beef is with non radar carrying naval units such as subs or transports and air units in neighbouring sea zones (again not sure about the latter being correct).

However I can't see how a flottila of subs would identify a land unit.

In the recent DDA versions subs can't do that anymore, only surface ships.