• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Just a little suggestion: In the status-box thing on the right of the screen, do you think it would be nice to have an icon that indicates whether you are attacking or defending in addition to the percentage of victory thing? Usually, when I am attacking a weaker nation, I usually don't worry about my attacks because I have picked weak areas to attack, but I know that if I am being attacked then something is going wrong...

Just a little suggestion: In the status-box thing on the right of the screen, do you think it would be nice to have an icon that indicates whether you are attacking or defending in addition to the percentage of victory thing? Usually, when I am attacking a weaker nation, I usually don't worry about my attacks because I have picked weak areas to attack, but I know that if I am being attacked then something is going wrong...

red = under attack
green = you attack

Can you disconnect corps/armies from theatre to give them more specific goals within the same area as the one controlled by theatre hq?

Maciek

Yes of course, but either you disconnect fromt eh theatre entirely or you issue orders to all parts of the theatre at that level.

There are some very interesting answers by King in this thread and I really enjoyed reading your AAR. I do have to questions though.

King you said that you can reassign units to a new theater, however will the strategic AI (a country totally controlled by the AI) ever do this?

Out of interest I would like to ask you if the command AI (just for your armies) sets objectives for its units lower in the chain of command if you set for example an army group or higher ranked unit an objective? For example does setting the theater objective to Belgorod let the theater command AI set an army group objective to a more intermediate goal?

red = under attack
green = you attack

Ah ok thanks, I had assumed that 0% was a new attack or defense, while if it went negative (the enemy was winning the attack or defense) it turned red, and the opposite for green. Thanks for clearing that up.

There are some very interesting answers by King in this thread and I really enjoyed reading your AAR. I do have to questions though.

King you said that you can reassign units to a new theater, however will the strategic AI (a country totally controlled by the AI) ever do this?

Out of interest I would like to ask you if the command AI (just for your armies) sets objectives for its units lower in the chain of command if you set for example an army group or higher ranked unit an objective? For example does setting the theater objective to Belgorod let the theater command AI set an army group objective to a more intermediate goal?

Yes AI controlled countries do shuffle units about between theatres.

I am not sure what you mean here. It does not pick a set of objectives you can see but it doesn't just ignore all enemy terrotry and just march in a single province chain towards its objective either.

Can you give a theater objectives in a Queue?

For example, as the USA, I want to go island hoping under AI control. Say all I own is Hawaii and Wake island....

I want to take out objectives from east to west...so I want to hit objectives in this order

"Entiewok"
"Guam"
"Phillippens"

If It doesn't have Entiewok, I don't want it to do Guam yet. For obvious supply line issues and flank issues of course....is that possible?

Can you give a theater objectives in a Queue?

For example, as the USA, I want to go island hoping under AI control. Say all I own is Hawaii and Wake island....

I want to take out objectives from east to west...so I want to hit objectives in this order

"Entiewok"
"Guam"
"Phillippens"

If It doesn't have Entiewok, I don't want it to do Guam yet. For obvious supply line issues and flank issues of course....is that possible?

No

Yes of course, but either you disconnect fromt eh theatre entirely or you issue orders to all parts of the theatre at that level.
Ah, I see, thank you.
That's probably the only reasonable way to do it but it also means that you should decide to manage each theatre on a unified level of control, be it theatre, army group, army or corps - otherwise you get many units doing exactly the same things because f.e. army group tries to reach the same ojective as your independent corps.

Maciek

King stated in the AAR that "We are going to score practical war experience to help with doctrine research and also gain experience for units and leaders."

So does that mean that practical research levels will increase by winning battles [in addition to the production of units]?

I am not sure what you mean here. It does not pick a set of objectives you can see but it doesn't just ignore all enemy terrotry and just march in a single province chain towards its objective either.
Thank you for giving me some answers. What I meant was that IRL the High command would have been given (decided) to pursue an objective. All units would be organised in such a way as to in their opinion would be best to achieve their objective, however to reach the objective, units lower in the chain of command would be given usually less ambitious objectives that work their way towards the main objective. For example Army group I could be given the objective to attack (aggressive stance) towards Zagreb (in the direction of the final objective Belgrade), while simultaneously Army group II could be even given the command (by the Army theater command or "High command") to hold a defensive stance in the area of Split due to heavy resistance for example.

Now does the army command AI work this way in HoI3?

Sorry if this has been asked before, but can you create your own theatre?

Say if I wanted Yugoslavia to be a seperate theatre from Italian. Or does the AI have pre-programmed theatre zones that are automatically generated when you enter them?

Nice AAR but some issues...

Wasn't Yugoslavia in the Balkan Pact until 1941?

Impossible to have attacked ANY of those countries as I'm sure Mussolini contemplated both Yugoslavia AND Greece, but they formed a pact. They would have opposed strongly and mobilized for sure, this needs fixing ASAP I think...

Not until Hungary and Romania were pulled into the Axis side did the pact start to fall apart. And both those countries acted in that way due to the thread of the USSR moving into Bessarabia and Northern Bukovina in 1940.

Wiki says the pact was resolved in 1938 but that's not true, it held out until the Axis decided they wanted this area to either become satellites or be occupied. An attack on one of its members, Yugoslavia in this case, would have at least raised HIGH threat levels in Greece, Romania, Bulgaria, Turkey, Albania and Hungary. ESPECIALLY if Italy is occupying and KEEPING the whole country.

Then, seeing the dismal performance of the Italians against the Greeks even 2 years later and that not making ANY ground against simple underarmed Greek units, I really wonder Italy is ready for such a large operation against such a large army.

It seems to me Italy should not be able to select Blitz tactics, how can it get that when no blitz was ever performed and the Germans invented it basically...

See http://www.sosyalarastirmalar.com/cilt2/sayi6pdf/degerli_esra.pdf

not really they are the same size than in previous screenshots
Small flags are not squares anymore.

beta_may20_9.jpg

declare%20war.jpg

King stated in the AAR that "We are going to score practical war experience to help with doctrine research and also gain experience for units and leaders."

So does that mean that practical research levels will increase by winning battles [in addition to the production of units]?

Practical for Doctrine research is only really gained from fighting. Losers still learn lessons.